Neil Peart

. . . .

One interesting thing I remember reading was about him going from Zildjian to Sabian. He had been playing Zildjian for over 2O years, and ended up jamming on a kit that had Sabians...and he said the Sabians blew away the Zildjians. I've noticed the opposite myself. I've been playing Zildjians forever....ended up jamming on a kit with Sabians a few times....and thought they sounded like crap compared to the Zildjians, lol! Oh well, Neil will always be my favorite drummer, but that doesn't mean we have to agree on all the gear.

When it comes to the opinions of long time veterans (musicians, car guys, whatever) I always consider that in many cases they have heard the same sounding gear for decades and sometimes are turned on to something new just because it's fresh to them. So what may blow them away will often sound awful to me because I still prefer those awesome sounding cymbals that they are sick and tired of hearing.

My humble opinion is generally that DW is over priced and over rated.

I feel the same way, I'm a Yamaha fan until the day I die, but the Time Machine kit, those were some good sounding drums live. I've never been a huge DW fan but every DW kit I've ever heard Neil play, 3 now, has fit him perfectly.

Always wondered what Neil would sound like on a set of Oak Customs and the R40 kit sounded pretty close.

Neil's endorsement is huge to DW, it's all one big money grab. Rush made a million dollars a show and he's still selling Tshirts. corporate America.

I was thinking about the subject of Neil's gear myself just recently and, as a long-time fan, personally prefer the sound of his early-80s Tamas/Zildjians to any other set up he's used before or since.

I saw Rush twice at Stafford Bingley Hall in England in late-1981 during the band's creative high of the Moving Pictures/Exit Stage Left tour and the sound of Neil's wooden Tamas - and his playing - was incredible.

The sound of the kit on the last album, Clockwork Angels, was - for me anyway - muddy and mixed too low.

The sound of the kit on the last album, Clockwork Angels, was - for me anyway - muddy and mixed too low.

Snakes and Arrows had a pretty good drum mix. recorded in an amazing studio too.

I have seen Rush numerous times starting in the mid 70s. I am a big fan of the band and Neil. I saw them this year and for the first time I felt Neil was showing his age. Still amazing mind you. He hits hard and the things he plays with the level of precision require, as one would expect, a lot of practice. It sounds as though it is just a painful thing for him. I hope he continues to perform in a much more limited capacity but I understand if he doesn't. I am thankful I got to see him so may times.

One interesting thing I remember reading was about him going from Zildjian to Sabian. He had been playing Zildjian for over 2O years, and ended up jamming on a kit that had Sabians...and he said the Sabians blew away the Zildjians. I've noticed the opposite myself. I've been playing Zildjians forever....ended up jamming on a kit with Sabians a few times....and thought they sounded like crap compared to the Zildjians, lol! Oh well, Neil will always be my favorite drummer, but that doesn't mean we have to agree on all the gear.

The way Lennie Dimuzzio was treated by Zildjian after the passing of Armand had a lot to do with that decision as well. Sabian welcomed Lennie with open arms and Neil went with him.

The way Lennie Dimuzzio was treated by Zildjian after the passing of Armand had a lot to do with that decision as well. Sabian welcomed Lennie with open arms and Neil went with him.

After the passing of Armand, and Lennie Dimuzzio going from Zildjian to Sabian is the reason many Zildjian endorsers stopped endorsing Zildjian.

Many followed Lennie to Sabian.

Nice! I had not seen this video lol!

I laughed hard, only because it must have been made by a true Rush fan.

Sabian welcomed Lennie with open arms and Neil went with him.

Paragons sound awful to the naked ear, nothing like on their studio albums. not like A Customs sound much better which is the closest Zildjian equivalent I can think of.

to Sabian's credit the Paragons sounded great on Snakes and Arrows with some tweaking in the studio.

I'm a couple of chapters into Neil's newly-released book.

Like his drumming and his song lyrics, it's so well-crafted.

There's been some debate about Las Vegas residencies, one-off shows etc.

But one thing that comes across with crystal clarity? He's not coming back.

Thanks for 35 years of inspiration, Neil.

I myself am a huge Neil Peart fan but I've noticed how the quality of his drums are sounding not so good. I don't hate DW Drums but I think Neil should really do what he did back then and not use the stock heads on his drums. If he got like a Roll the Bones or Moving Pictures sound on his drums that would be good but I think it's because he stopped using the Slingerland snare. Ever since the Snakes and Arrows DVD the drums sound horribly tuned to me. The snare on the R30 DVD and album sounds godly compared to what it is now. But Neil really should go back to not using the stock heads. But his tech I think has said that his drums are like rarely tuned so that's why they probably sound awful. Neil is still a good drummer but it's just the EQ and what not is really awful.

I myself am a huge Neil Peart fan but I've noticed how the quality of his drums are sounding not so good. I don't hate DW Drums but I think Neil should really do what he did back then and not use the stock heads on his drums. If he got like a Roll the Bones or Moving Pictures sound on his drums that would be good but I think it's because he stopped using the Slingerland snare. Ever since the Snakes and Arrows DVD the drums sound horribly tuned to me. The snare on the R30 DVD and album sounds godly compared to what it is now. But Neil really should go back to not using the stock heads. But his tech I think has said that his drums are like rarely tuned so that's why they probably sound awful. Neil is still a good drummer but it's just the EQ and what not is really awful.

Different strokes, I guess. he must like the sound.

The information that drums are rarely tuned is incorrect, but his current sound is definitely way different than the old Ludwig or Tama kits of yesteryear.

Different strokes, I guess. he must like the sound.

The information that drums are rarely tuned is incorrect, but his current sound is definitely way different than the old Ludwig or Tama kits of yesteryear.

I think I meant the heads are rarely changed or something I don't remember

I would consider his prime to be a lot earlier than the Time Machine tour - that was just three tours ago and he was beginning to slow his roll. His "prime" was Hemispheres to about Counterparts, IMO.

relatively speaking since I first saw him in 2007. I meant more like the prime of his later years.

saw Rush in

Time Machine was probably the most memorable because my wife got to see him for the first time and Ghost Rider was a pivotal factor in us getting married believe it or not.

Back