Ryan Van Poederooyen

Great to see you on here Ryan giving all this great advice. I enjoyed Synchestra very much.

Do you practice different styles each time you practice? With how diverse the tracks are I can see how it would be hard to stay on top of them all.

Hey Chopsy,

Thanks for the kind words about Synchestra, I love that album! As for these Forums... it's awesome to be here chattin' it up with you fellow drummers!

To answer your question :

Do you practice different styles each time you practice?

Yes I do.

With any instrument I find you can never know enough about your instrument. There is always something new to learn. So when it comes to practicing I'll warm up with rudiments (hands and feet) and then practice different things. Right now I'm really into displacement of beats, so I'll practice different grooves and incorporate displacement. For example the other day I focused mainly on this really cool shuffle groove and then messed around with the timing and fills while playing to a click track. Today, I was messing around with syncopation and blast beats. Again, I was focusing on displacement and fills within the beats, that's what I'm reaally into at the moment.

What I practice on really depends on what I know I can improve on or something that has recently inspired me. I just want to be as versatile as I can to expand my drumming horizons for session work and for when it comes time to do another Devin Townsend Band or Terror Syndrome record. It's always cool to be able jam as many grooves as possible to get the best result for a song. Synchestra happens to be one of those albums that I'm very proud of because of all the different approaches to drumming I was able to incorporate!

Hope that answers your question!

All the best,

RVP

Hey Everybody,

For those of you who I've been chatting to on these boards and those interested in my drumming.... Terror Syndrome (my newly formed metal band) has put a clip up of us recording my drumtracks at the beautiful Armoury Studios here in Vancouver. There are several clips of me laying down drum tracks for the album in this vid. You get to see a couple different approaches to my drumming that I have, definitely not all of them though! LOL! You can watch the video here :

www.myspace.com/terrorsyndromeband - It's located on our main page below our Banner section (middle of the page)

Sorry about the quality of the video, but My Space really destroys it when you go through the compression they have. the audio is pretty good though. So there it is, enjoy! Great talking to you all as usual..... this is an awesome place!

All the best,

RVP

Looking forward to the release of the Terror Syndrome album Ryan. Any idea when to expect it? Since SYLs future is always so up in the air I hope I can count on some new metal from Terror Syndrome.

I'm surprised this thread isn't sticky.. it should be.

I didn't know you were a drum tech for The New Black by SYL but I noticed your name credited for that as well. Great work!

Looking forward to the release of the Terror Syndrome album Ryan. Any idea when to expect it? Since SYLs future is always so up in the air I hope I can count on some new metal from Terror Syndrome.

I'm surprised this thread isn't sticky.. it should be.

I didn't know you were a drum tech for The New Black by SYL but I noticed your name credited for that as well. Great work!

Hey Chopsy,

We're looking to release the Terror Syndrome album in March/April 2008. An exact date will be announced in the next couple months along with how it's being released. We're just finishing up a couple things before mixing and mastering. We're also going to announce who's mixing and mastering the record, some cool names are going to be involved there as well. We plan on being around for a while kicking ass with our brand of metal. Exciting times.....

As for teching on SYL's "The New Black".... I did it for Strapping cuz we're all bro's and it gave Gene the chance to just focus on drumming and not tuning or getting sounds. It's not a regular gig for me to tech but I thought it'd be cool to help my bro's out in SYL and I've always taken pride in making drums sound awesome as far as tuning goes. Thanks for the compliment but remember if Gene wasn't the friggin' monster of a drummer he is, the drums wouldn't have the sound they have on that record. Great drummer and guy!!!!

Hope that answered your questions....

Best,

RVP

Hey Ryan, how are you?

I've been getting some recording jobs recently and I'd like to do more, I was wondering if you had any experience in just studio work and how to promote yourself.

Thanks

Tutin

Hey Tutin,

Doin' good!

Yeah man, I do lots of session work when I'm not touring or recording with my bands. The best way to promote yourself with Session Work is to basically do as much of it as you can! The other thing that will help you is to get out there and play live as much as you can, let people know who you are so they come asking for you. I played my ass off when i moved to Vancouver to start a career in music. Once I got a name around Vancouver from playing in a couple popular bands.... the session work started flowing, then Devin Townsend eventually called me and that really blew everything up. The more exposure you get... the better the gigs will be!

Final words.... Work hard, play as much as you can (Studio and Live), be diverse with your playing, be ready and most importantly.... believe in yourself. Good things will then come. It worked for me!

Hope that answers your question,

Best,

RVP

Hey Tutin,

Doin' good!

Yeah man, I do lots of session work when I'm not touring or recording with my bands. The best way to promote yourself with Session Work is to basically do as much of it as you can! The other thing that will help you is to get out there and play live as much as you can, let people know who you are so they come asking for you. I played my ass off when i moved to Vancouver to start a career in music. Once I got a name around Vancouver from playing in a couple popular bands.... the session work started flowing, then Devin Townsend eventually called me and that really blew everything up. The more exposure you get... the better the gigs will be!

Final words.... Work hard, play as much as you can (Studio and Live), be diverse with your playing, be ready and most importantly.... believe in yourself. Good things will then come. It worked for me!

Hope that answers your question,

Best,

RVP

Thanks a lot Ryan, will do!

Where are you originally from then?

Just a note to the drummers following my stuff...

The TERROR SYNDROME record has now been released world-wide on iTUNES, Napster and Rhapsody..... more distributors to come. This is the band I started with Dave and Mike from the Devin Townsend Band. It's basically my baby, it's something I've always wanted to do for a long time. I wrote all 12 songs on the album (co-wrote a couple songs) and even wrote some lyrics for the album... getting my Neil Peart on! LOL! The album has a bunch of very cool guests on it as well :

Alex Skolnick - Testament
Devin Townsend - Strapping Young Lad, DTB
Trevor Dunn - Mr. Bungle, Fantomas
Byron Stroud - Fear Factory
Christofer Malmstrom - Darkane, Non-Human Level
Michael Manring - Grammy Nominated Session Bassist

The music is Metal with a twist at times. We have a couple instrumentals that are pretty progressive with some cool playing, a moody acoustic track mixed with some straight up crazy METAL songs!!!! Devin Townsend mixed the album and it sounds incredible!!!! Whoever checks it out or has checked it out, I hope you enjoy it and as always thanks for the support. Keep smashin' them skins everyone!

Best,

RVP

www.myspace.com/terrorsyndromeband

Hey Ryan,

Im listening to Non-Human Level right now on myspace, thanks to your link. Thanks for providing another cool metal band for those of us who hadnt heard of you. I'm gonna listen to Terror Syndrome in a sec when NHL is over.

My question is: does Peter Wildoer sing all the vocals? Both the low and high growls? Thanks.

Hey Ryan,

Im listening to Non-Human Level right now on myspace, thanks to your link. Thanks for providing another cool metal band for those of us who hadnt heard of you. I'm gonna listen to Terror Syndrome in a sec when NHL is over.

My question is: does Peter Wildoer sing all the vocals? Both the low and high growls? Thanks.

Yo Doom,

To answer your question... Peter Wildoer does all the vocals and the low and high growls on that record. It was always a dream for Peter to sing on a Metal Record and Non-Human Level was his chance to do it. I think he did an amazing job, especially the WASP cover.... he sounds like a heavier version of Blackie Lawless... killer!!!! Peter's a pretty talented dude, great singer and one helluva a drummer!!!

As for Terror Syndrome, I hope you enjoy it bro. It's some pretty heavy stuff with some great playing from the guest appearances. I'm very proud of the record and hope to be supporting it on tour soon. Thanks for the support, it's much appreciated. Keep smashin' them skins!

Best,

RVP

i'm a big fan...you're on some of my favourite Devin Townsend albums, and i really dig your style...

Thanks for the kind words and keep smashing them skins!

Some cool news for followers of mine in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I will be doing a clinic as part of the Vancouver International Drum Festival on October 28th, 2008 at the Tom Lee Music Hall in dowtown Vancouver. Terror Syndrome (my new metal band featuring 3 Devin Townsend Band members and the singer from Annihilator) will be playing our first live show at the Drum Festival following my clinic. Clinic starts at 7pm and Terror Syndrome goes on at 8pm. Tickets are available at Tom Lee Music.

Other drummers included in this years Festival are Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy), Gene Hoglan (Strapping Young Lad), Mike Michalkow (Teacher) and Jon Morrison (Berklee student and up and coming talent from Vancouver). It's going to be an awesome festival and I hope to maybe see some of you there from the Vancouver area.

Keep smashin' them skins!

RVP

hey ryan, woah its nice to see a pro drummer taking the time to speak to all of us board members.

so here goes, first of all what would you say is your favourite item on your drum kit, alot of drummers normally dont have a specific one but a few do so ill throw that out there. ( mine is my k custom dark ride just love everything about it especially the bell)

also how is it being around devin so much ive watched alot of his videos on youtube and he seems to be incredibly crazy, from being with steve vai to doing those "ziltoid albums" and for example with SYL screaming "your all gay before starting a song" i guess it can maybe get pretty crazy during practise and recording? or does he just act normal and impress you all with his skullet (haircut) cheers anyway :)

hey ryan, woah its nice to see a pro drummer taking the time to speak to all of us board members.

so here goes, first of all what would you say is your favourite item on your drum kit, alot of drummers normally dont have a specific one but a few do so ill throw that out there. ( mine is my k custom dark ride just love everything about it especially the bell)

- I WOULD HAVE TO SAY MY FAVORITE ITEM ON MY KIT WOULD BE MY PEARL REFERENCE BRASS SNARE. IT IS HANDS DOWN THE NICEST SNARE DRUM I'VE PLAYED, IN MY OPINION. I LOVE THE CRACK IT HAS, THE TONE IT HAS (IN VARIOUS TUNINGS) AND THE VERSATILITY IT PROVIDES. I CAN TUNE IT SEVERAL WAYS AND IT SOUNDS AMAZING. A CLOSE SECOND WOULD BE MY 18" SABIAN AAX CHINA... I LOVE THAT CYMBAL!!!!

also how is it being around devin so much ive watched alot of his videos on youtube and he seems to be incredibly crazy, from being with steve vai to doing those "ziltoid albums" and for example with SYL screaming "your all gay before starting a song" i guess it can maybe get pretty crazy during practise and recording? or does he just act normal and impress you all with his skullet (haircut) cheers anyway :)

- DEVIN IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GUY OFF STAGE COMPARED TO ON STAGE. HE'S ONE OF THE NICEST GUYS YOU COULD MEET AND VERY INTELLIGENT. HE IS VERY CHILLED AND DOESN'T ENJOY THE SPOTLIGHT VERY MUCH. HE GENUINELY LOVES MUSIC FOR THE MUSIC NOT THE FAME AND I RESPECT THAT SO MUCH. DURING RECORDING OR PRACTICE HE'S ALL ABOUT BEING THE BEST HE CAN AND GETTING THE BEST OUT OF EVERYONE HE PLAYS WITH. I PARTIALLY HAVE HIM TO THANK FOR MAKING ME THE BETTER DRUMMER I AM TODAY COMPARED TO 6 OR 7 YEARS AGO. OVERALL, DEVIN IS A GENIUS MUSICIAN AND A VERY DOWN TO EARTH GUY... WHEN HE'S ON STAGE HE'S DEFINITELY A SHOWMAN AND IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE WORLD IN MY OPINION!

HOPE THAT ANSWERED YOUR QUESTIONS. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT AND CHECK OUT TERROR SYNDROME IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY. IT'S MY NEWEST METAL BAND OUTSIDE OF THE DTB AND IT HAS SOME PRETTY FUN DRUMMIN'!

BEST,

RVP

Ryan killed the set again! anyone listen to Addicted by the Devin Townsend Project??

great drumming on it... very tasteful but also lots of nice chops. I really don't think I could have enjoyed the poppy nature of this album without some solid drumming to back it up!

Ryan,

I had the pleasure of seeing you and DTP in Louisville, KY a few weeks back. I was very impressed with your playing. It has to be difficult to emote from behind the drums and stick to the click as well as you do, especially with the extremely passionate music that Devin writes. By the way, what exactly are you hearing through the headphones while playing the set?

I think that my favorite chops from you have been the intro to Supercrush, and the entire song Triumph, I also really dig the short 'solo' section towards the end of Numbered.

I hope to see you again in a headlining capacity with DTP in the near future.

Take care,

Joey

Ryan killed the set again! anyone listen to Addicted by the Devin Townsend Project??

great drumming on it... very tasteful but also lots of nice chops. I really don't think I could have enjoyed the poppy nature of this album without some solid drumming to back it up!

Thanks for the kind words Chopsy..... Glad u dug our show. See ya' out on tour again.... we might headline a tour of North America in October.... stay posted!

Best,

RVP

Ryan,

I had the pleasure of seeing you and DTP in Louisville, KY a few weeks back. I was very impressed with your playing. It has to be difficult to emote from behind the drums and stick to the click as well as you do, especially with the extremely passionate music that Devin writes. By the way, what exactly are you hearing through the headphones while playing the set?

I think that my favorite chops from you have been the intro to Supercrush, and the entire song Triumph, I also really dig the short 'solo' section towards the end of Numbered.

I hope to see you again in a headlining capacity with DTP in the near future.

Take care,

Joey

Thanks for the kind words Joey, much appreciated!

To answer your question - What do I hear thru my headphones when playing live?

I'm listening to Click Track, Dev's guitar and vocals... that's it. The Click Track is mixed higher than anything else of course and I have everything else in my mix mixed pretty low.

It's weird after playing to the click for the first 30 seconds, I don't even notice it the rest of the show unless there are breaks in songs and stuff. When you play with a click for many years like I have, it really becomes second nature, which is great because I can have fun drumming instead of focusing on the click track. 'By Your Command' from Ziltoid is always a fun challenge live when it comes to the click... that's the one song in a couple parts where I actually do need to focus on the click to make sure I'm right on time with the samples coming out the front end. Good times overall though!

Thanks for the support and like I said in the previous post, there are talks of us doing a headlining tour in October '10..... nothing confirmed yet but stay posted!

Best,

RVP

To Joey,

As promised, here are the confirmed Devin Townsend Project dates for our 2nd North American Tour. We're doing a west coast swing with a week off then an east coast swing. Hopefully see some of you at a show! Here are the dates:

Devin Townsend Project - Headlining USA/Canada Tour

Oct 8th, 2010 - Vancouver, BC, Canada - Rickshaw Theater
Oct 9th, 2010 - Seattle, WA, USA - Studio Seven
Oct 10th, 2010 - Portland, OR, USA - Hawthorne Theater
Oct 12th, 2010 - San Francisco, CA, USA - Slim's
Oct 14th, 2010 - West Hollywood, CA, USA - Key Club
Oct 15th, 2010 - San Diego, CA, USA - Ramona Mainstage
Oct 16th, 2010 - Las Vegas, NV, USA - Cheyenne Saloon
Oct 26th, 2010 - Springfield, VA, USA - Jaxx
Oct 27th, 2010 - West Chester, PA, USA - The Note
Oct 28th, 2010 - New York, NY, USA - Gramercy Theater
Oct 29th, 2010 - Worcester, MA, USA - The Palladium
Oct 30th, 2010 - Oneonta, NY, USA - Oneonta Theater
Oct 31st, 2010 - Hartford, CT, USA - Webster Underground
Nov 2nd, 2010 - Montreal, QC, Canada - Foufounes Electriques
Nov 3rd, 2010 - Toronto, ON, Canada - The Mod Club
Nov 4th, 2010 - London, ON, Canada - London Music Hall
Nov 5th, 2010 - Cleveland, OH, USA - Peabody's
Nov 6th, 2010 - Flint, MI, USA - The Machine Shop
Nov 7th, 2010 - Chicago, IL, USA - Lincoln Hall

As well, I've uploaded a ton of Drumcam footage from various Devin Townsend Project shows this past year. Lots of footage from our European Festival shows have been uploaded.... hope you enjoy them! Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ryanvanpoederooyen

Best,

RVP

Back