Ahead alloy drum sticks

I bought Ahead sticks a few years back, the 5B ROCK model. I didn't have a problem with the weighting, for most of my drumming life I have used heavier models of sticks, but I did not like the sound they produced on cymbals or drums. The tips also didn't seem to have a very good rebound, which made my diddles sloppy sounding, course this is how I feel about most nylon tip sticks. All in all, they whole aluminum stick thing just felt unnatural and wasn't for me. I'm not gonna say they're crappy, worthless, over-priced sticks because I've seen and heard people make great sounds on a kit with these things, they're just crappy, worthless, over-priced sticks for me.

it's funny, after I got used to the ahead 5bs, I grabbed an old pair of vic firth 5as I had laying around with wood tips, and I could play faster and more relaxed with them. Feel is a funny thing!

iv all ready tried it
i tried with 2 types of super glue and twice it has come off. i'll admit though did take longer than them just being screwed on
I'm opting for a more softer glue. i think super glue drys to hard and cracks off or something like that. heres hoping a softer glue will absorb the impact more. its worked so far
:p

Why don't you try some thread lock.

i was going to get some, then i saw that people like joey jordison and lars ulrich were using them and didn't. guilty by association... no thanks.
plus who the hell breaks wood drumsticks anyway.

I do I practice 3 hours a day, gig, and take lessons. I barely do rimshots and if I do they're not very hard, and I still break sticks every 2 weeks or so.

Ahead 7A convert right here. Was playing Vater for a long time...tired of wood shavings all over my house tired of buying new sticks every couple of weeks. Ahead 7A=$30, replace sleeves every month $3. Save the wear and tear on my wrists and hand=priceless.

I was normally a 5B guy, but Ahead 7A=wood 5B. I do not play hard (anymore) and the covers last me a long time before they come close to wearing down to the metal. I am a rim shot lover...I know eventually that will wear out the integrity of the aluminum and they will break. I've been playing these Ahead 7As for one year now and they are still solid, so not a bad purchase in my opinion. I think they sound the same as any nylon tipped stick.

Back