splash holder?!

drumguyfromWI

any suggestions for a good, sturdy, cheap splash holder that can attatch to a hi-hat stand, and has a boom long enough to make the splash go above (but slightly offset) from the hi-hats?

any suggestions for a good, sturdy, cheap splash holder that can attatch to a hi-hat stand, and has a boom long enough to make the splash go above (but slightly offset) from the hi-hats?

This one would work...

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-Grabber-Cymbal-Arm?sku=446265

I experimented with this set up before, but decided not to use it as I needed the extra cymbal stand to mount my tom off of. I got about 4" above the hats with another cymbal by using this clamp.

Pearl also makes a similar product to the gibraltar one, called the CH70. Usually goes for about $30.

I highly recommend the CH70. It's more sturdy than my PDP 800 booms stands! The people complaining about it being a piece of crap (on the Musician's Friend reviews) are probably mounting 40" gongs on it. The only downside is that the boom isn't grooved, but for a splash it wouldn't matter, really. And everything else is just great. The clamp is great too.

cool, thanks for the suggestions!

I am going to use the cymbal holder to mount one of the cymbals from my old pair of brass 13" Zildjian Planet Z hi-hats that came with my first kit, and use it as a splash. they sound horrible as hi-hats, but suprisingly, sound halfway decent as splashes. eventually, I'll probably get a real splash though. I saw a gently used Sabian 10" AA Splash at my local music store for a pretty low price, so I'll look into that maybe.

cool, thanks for the suggestions!

I am going to use the cymbal holder to mount one of the cymbals from my old pair of brass 13" Zildjian Planet Z hi-hats that came with my first kit, and use it as a splash. they sound horrible as hi-hats, but suprisingly, sound halfway decent as splashes. eventually, I'll probably get a real splash though. I saw a gently used Sabian 10" AA Splash at my local music store for a pretty low price, so I'll look into that maybe.

Splashes are the best cymbal to need to buy, because even the good ones are so cheap. I wish I needed a splash, hopefully one day my ZXT will crack (after 3 years of using it as a crash before I knew the difference).

Splashes are the best cymbal to need to buy, because even the good ones are so cheap.QUOTE]

well, I suppose, in the grand scheme of things, I don't really NEED to buy a splash...

but, throwing all rational thought out the window, from a drummer's standpoint of course I need to buy one!!! why don't I have one already?! what am I thinking?!

haha my Gear Acquisition Syndrome has been acting up lately...

but I don't know if splashes are cheap... well, they are cheap compared to larger cymbals. but still, it kind of pains me to have to pay over a hundred dollars for a tiny cymbal haha.

good thing I found that barely used Sabian for about a third of the price of a new one. I just hope someone doesn't buy it before I get the cash to buy it myself (which could be a while, since I just bought new drums and am about to buy a new ride, new hi-hats, a hi-hat clutch and a splash holder...)

and when I get that splash, I'll probably get a new chinese too... and later new batter heads to replace the stock ones on my new kit... man, it never ends!!!

Splashes are the best cymbal to need to buy, because even the good ones are so cheap.QUOTE]

well, I suppose, in the grand scheme of things, I don't really NEED to buy a splash...

but, throwing all rational thought out the window, from a drummer's standpoint of course I need to buy one!!! why don't I have one already?! what am I thinking?!

haha my Gear Acquisition Syndrome has been acting up lately...

but I don't know if splashes are cheap... well, they are cheap compared to larger cymbals. but still, it kind of pains me to have to pay over a hundred dollars for a tiny cymbal haha.

good thing I found that barely used Sabian for about a third of the price of a new one. I just hope someone doesn't buy it before I get the cash to buy it myself (which could be a while, since I just bought new drums and am about to buy a new ride, new hi-hats, a hi-hat clutch and a splash holder...)

and when I get that splash, I'll probably get a new chinese too... and later new batter heads to replace the stock ones on my new kit... man, it never ends!!!

I recommend getting new batter heads first, because that can make a HUGE difference on your kit.

And you should not be paying more than $100 for a splash...even the most expensive one BRAND NEW is only $150...the Paiste Signature Dark Energy. The Zildjian A Custom is an amazing splash, and for only $90, it's a deal. My school band uses one, very versatile cymbal.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Splash-Cymbals,50-100.gc?o=1

I recommend getting new batter heads first, because that can make a HUGE difference on your kit.

normally, I WOULD buy new batter heads sooner... but my new kit, a Gretsch Catalina Club Mod 4-piece shell pack, came with coated Evans G1 batter heads already on the tom and snare batters. it also came with pre-muffled heads on the bass drum. and they sound pretty good, so I don't really need to go out and buy new batter heads right away. it would be a waste of perfectly good heads.

I'm usually a Remo guy, so when I do need to get new heads, I'll probably just get Remo coated Ambassadors to replace the G1's and a PowerSonic for the kick batter.

and I usually don't bother with ever replacing the resonant heads, I know it helps make the drums sound even better, but honestly, I can't tell a real huge difference. it's just not worth it to me to spend about $100 on drumheads that I don't even hit.

and I usually don't bother with ever replacing the resonant heads, I know it helps make the drums sound even better, but honestly, I can't tell a real huge difference. it's just not worth it to me to spend about $100 on drumheads that I don't even hit.

That's pretty much my philosophy too. I'm considering replacing the snare side head, but for my toms...no way. The bass drum made a big difference, replacing the stock Pearl with a Regulator, but I replaced my 13" tom's stock reso with an extra Ebony Pinstripe I had lying around, and it didn't sound much difference. That might have something to do with the fact that I'm using the two most muffled heads on the market, but still...

Reference the price of these babies:

I have a cheapo Wuhan $12 (US) splash and love it. It sits among some pretty pricey pies. No one who has played my kit has said "Hey, you need a better sounding splash." Joey

went down to the music store today to check prices on the gear I'm going to be buying soon after the holidays...

and I decided on getting a cheap straight cymbal stand to hold the crash

because

the cheapest splash holder they had was about $45. I thought, "screw that", and decided on getting a $30 straight stand instead.

so my kit won't be as compact as I had hoped, but this way it'll be easier to position the spash.

and I need to save all the money I can... because the total cost fo the gear I'm about to buy (hi-hats, ride, cymbal stand, and hi-hat clutch) comes to about $700...! XD

maybe I can haggle the prices down a bit...

I have a splash on the same stand as my crash, it works fine.

Back