how long should this pedal last?

daredrummer

Gold Member
Well I got my Gibraltar Avenger double pedal (http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=detail&mid=214&sid=76&cid=26) a little more than a year ago, and I was just wondering how long this pedal is supposed to last.

A few months ago, many problems started occuring (beaters slide out, tension spring was unsecure, rough double pedal chain drive, etc.), so that's why I'm curious to know.

I'm going to be getting a new pedal soon, but I was just wondering if this pedal should only last a little more than a year (seems like it should last longer).
Also how long are medium/high quality pedals supposed to last, such as pearl eliminator, dw 5000 or 7000, and tama iron cobra?
Thanks.

It depends on many factors, How hard you play, How many hours that you play, How you maintain the pedals. The pedals themselves!
Every pedal will wear eventually.
Replacement parts are available for some pedals. Replacing worn parts will prolong the life of the pedals.

I had a Gibraltar Intruder pedal, and it did about the same thing. I replaced almost every part that could be replaced on it, in a two year span.​

Yeah i might just get a whole new pedal, because in addition to the problems i dont really like the feel of it. :/

I had a single chain DW5000 double pedal for 12 years and had zero issues with it and it got TONS of use!!! It's one of those things where to some degree you get what you pay for. The bass pedal is probably the most used and abused piece on your kit when you think about how hard you play and how much use it gets.

You might also want to look into some of yamaha's pedals as well they tend to have a little lighter feel than DW. I just got a great deal on a yamaha direct drive for our church, I've played on a DW9000 for the past 3 years, the yamaha feels better (wife wasn't too happy to hear that since she bought the 9000 for me after I drooled over it for a year or so)

I had a single chain DW5000 double pedal for 12 years and had zero issues with it and it got TONS of use!!! It's one of those things where to some degree you get what you pay for. The bass pedal is probably the most used and abused piece on your kit when you think about how hard you play and how much use it gets.

You might also want to look into some of yamaha's pedals as well they tend to have a little lighter feel than DW. I just got a great deal on a yamaha direct drive for our church, I've played on a DW9000 for the past 3 years, the yamaha feels better (wife wasn't too happy to hear that since she bought the 9000 for me after I drooled over it for a year or so)
Yes I've heard that DW and Yamaha make the most durable pedals. It's funny that you say that because I just talked to my drum teacher yesterday, and he used the DW5000 Single pedal as well, and it lasted for 17 years! with some minor issues.

The double pedal 5000 might be worth checking out. $380 dollars seems like a great deal for a pedal that could potentially last up to 17 years.

I played a DW5002a double pedal for 10 years straight and had to replace both of the red anodized hinges, once for each side. I thought this was a pretty acceptable failure rate considering how much I played the damned thing and how much it had been moved around during gigs.

Then there was that show...the show where I let another drummer use our gear and it turned bad on me. I let a guy from another touring band use my DW double cus his had disappeared or had broke or his girlfriend pawned it for gas money or it fell out of the tour bus or some other typical rock star excuse, and that 'M! other fuducker' destroyed the universal linkage in one fuduggin 60 minute set!

I was pissed, believe me! F that guy! I had no idea that his girlfriend would have eventually cost me the price of a double kick pedal!

She wasn't worth it, but my brand new Axis longboards sure were!

Check em out!

http://axispercussion.com/

make sure you try to get your feet on them to see which feels best to you!

Back