Troll Control.

I too got a PM from Bernhard asking us to help him and the community by participating in a neighborhood watch of sorts. I think it's the least we could do in light of all he's given us.
But no doubt about it, Matt is like a bloodhound and can detect trolling like nobody's business.

We have the best forum model I've seen. I don't know how many other forums have this family atmosphere, but it certainly is my favorite destination on the net.

Glad to help out, Bernhard and Dog

I think this is a great place to hang out. I don't even belong to any other drumming forums.

I think Bernhard and DB for working to keep trolls out of here and I will definitely keep my eye open for this clown.

From Urbandictionary:

"Troll: One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument"

Obviously the practical definition of that is far more liberal.

I like that Neighborhood Watch concept. People should learn how to recognize a troll.

Or, if they want to be immature, troll back. Not hard.

My suggestion is that whenever a troll starts trolling we immediately change the topic to meatloaf.

On one of the forums I'm on when the trolling begins the topic switches to shampoo. It works like a charm.

I vote for shampoo because talking about meatloaf makes me hungry.
I am on a diet. I've lost 10 LBS in the past three weeks.

Congratulations, Bob. I could stand to drop a few pounds myself.
I stopped eating those 900 calorie Costco muffins at work every morning
I persuaded my boss to stop buying them in an effort to cut company operating costs.
I wasn't very popular at work for a while but I have noticed that a few others that I work with look a bit thinner also.
I think that some guys were eating two or three of them each day.

I like that Neighborhood Watch concept. People should learn how to recognize a troll.

I guess on that last Beatles/Don't say 'retarded' thread, I should have recognized and ignored it. Didn't even suspect a troll there.

Gee, I have been guilty myself of a little jab now and then, but it was all in fun usually accompanied by a :) sign. If I have offended anyone I am sorry and won't do it again. By the way I like and play jazz. Can I still play here?

Gee, I have been guilty myself of a little jab now and then, but it was all in fun usually accompanied by a :) sign. If I have offended anyone I am sorry and won't do it again. By the way I like and play jazz. Can I still play here?
There is a difference between a little jab and an all out attack and rant.
We all have a sense of humor around here.
We all understand a joke.

Some people provoke friction between others just for the sake of seeing an argument start.
After it starts, they do everything in their power to keep it going.

In the end, they insult and threaten the others until they become a Troll!

Trolls are people deliberately say things online that are not necessarily their beliefs, just anything that will get forum members excited. This should not be confused with sincere people who happen to think differently to most others or those who challenge the status quo because they feel there is too much groupthink going on.

To me, the intention to create conflict for the buzz is what distinguishes trolls from renegades. I think the word is bandied about too loosely and I've seen people being called a troll incorrectly (IMO) for simply holding on to their belief systems.

I think that Tommy/Stickit/Whatever sincerely believed what he said in the reading thread, just that his thoughts were naive and and intransigent. However, previous threads suggest that he feeds on conflict and the strong emotions it raises so the line is a bit blurry. Personally, I really dislike feeding frenzies on perceived outsiders. I think it's cruel and there are more civilised ways of resolving problems.

Not trying to inflame anyone or trying to speak beyond my station, that's just how I feel. I also find Matt's sleuthing work pretty scary ... makes you wonder how much people know about you on the web ... definitely a message to be cautious about putting personal info online ...

Well you may have missed the other thread that sent him into space then Polly LOL!

His less than positive intentions and direct insults {at many} were as plain as the nose on your face in that one...just saying and the clear reason why some folks get shown the door by the host who's flipping the bill here.

Polly, Stickit went way beyond the realm of simply being different and supporting unpopular views.
He got what he deserved from Matt and everyone else.
Bernhard did the right thing.

There is a difference between me defending why I like Kenny G in a civilized and funny manor and someone attacking and threatening people.

I have an unpopular belief sometimes also, but I know where to draw the line within my posts.

I respect other people here and they respect me.
Stickit respected no one!
Likewise, He got no respect from others!

Polly, Stickit went way beyond the realm of simply being different and supporting unpopular views.
... Bernhard did the right thing.

... I respect other people here and they respect me.
Stickit respected no one!

Agreed, Best I can remember, he first showed up as "Juststickinaround" ... and got banned.​
Then he showed up as "Tommycanyouhearme" ... and got banned​
And recently, as "Stickit" ... and .... banned again.​

harry, When I post an unpopular view, I expect to take some crap for posting it.
I have already thought about it before I posted, and I have anticipated what I am going to say to defend my view.
When people attack me for my unpopular view, I don't get mad because I was expecting that reaction.
I understand that the majority of the world will not support an unpopular view.

Usually I receive a private message form one or two people that support me.
I then know that I made my point and I am not alone in the world!

A troll doesn't think this way.
He thinks that he can bend the world to his way of thinking or he simply says unpopular things for the sake of saying them.
He will then get mad when people don't agree with him.
He will keep on going and going until he loses it and he gets banned.
He simply wants to make trouble.

Last edited:
Well you may have missed the other thread that sent him into space then Polly LOL!

His less than positive intentions and direct insults {at many} were as plain as the nose on your face in that one...just saying and the clear reason why some folks get shown the door by the host who's flipping the bill here.

Could well be, Stan. So it wasn't the reading thread? After a while I tuned out of that one because it became one of those painful round-and-round things.

If it was the troll music thread, I might have missed him being insulting on there because there were some pretty harsh comments directed at him and it wasn't fun to read (although I liked Jay's tips early on). But some responses seemed to be designed to bring the worst of an unstable character with weird paradigms. Personally, I prefer not to poke a rabid dog in the eye (most of the time ... ahem)

Still, credit where credit's due - the seat belt and milk threads cracked me up :)

Your right Polly, Jay, Myself, And Others did help to, "Do Him In" in that last thread.
He deserved it!
He needed to be eliminated.
We assumed the upper hand and took control of the Troll!
We helped to kill the rabid dog so to speak.
His fault too for not seeing through us.
Only the strong survive in the real world.
The herd gets thinned of the weak.

Back