Tony Williams

Yea I saw the series too, and am currently workin on them. Really lookin forward to the 2nd part. I've been listening to ALOT of Tony Williams lately, just workin on his stuff is causin me to sweat. That man, god rest his soul, is definitely one of the greatest drummers ever.

I have a lot of Tony William's music. He has a lot of "rocker" in him. He is like a Bonham of jazz. Here's why:

Tony Williams was notoriously hard to impress, that is watching other drummers. He had no appreciation for any drummer that could not vary dynamics and play in the pocket. A lot of rock drummers have a tendency to do that.

Tony summoned a lot of power, but it was all in context of dynamic contrasts, not just loudness all the time, or for loudness sake. He did once say (paraphrasing) "Drums are meant to be hit."

He had that screaming yellow gretsch kit with tightly tuned remo cs black dots on top and bottom. He coaxed tonality, depth, power and variable dynamics from those drums. But he also knew how to bring on the thunder. He had a formidable signiture sound.

Listening to Tony Williams is also an easy introduction for rockers into jazz- because his force is easy to recognize.

dawg said:
thombo,being a tony fan and never getting to see him, i understand he played quite LOUD live is that correct?

Hey Dawg, SUP?.... no can't say he was loud....I'm a drummer too...a piano player might
think so though. But no, not really, just smooth and musical.

Later

Thombo

He was loud. Louder than other jazz musicians that's for sure. He also played with aggression too! I was listening to this album, "My Funny Valentine live in New York" I think it was or something like that, and I remember hearing a story behind that show. Miles Davis told his band that they won't be gettin paid for that gig, which obviously angered Tony Williams and the rest. I could totally sense his aggression, and that album, is now one of my favorite albums of all time. Amazing.

Does anyone know any other albums apart from 'Seven Steps to Heaven' that hes appeared on with Miles Davis, which aren't live albums?

I don't know for sure, but Tony seemed to be in touch with Afro-cuban rythms as well. Some of the rythms he played were cyclic, tribal and yes...aggressive.

ESP and sketches of spain are 2 that come to mind...i realize my last question regarding tony's volume playing live may have sounded dumb,but i just wanted confirmation by drummers that saw him live regarding his volume (and or power?) that what i heard in his later years on his live albums(like tokyo live) was indeed a great representation of his playing.thanks.

rendezvous, i read that too in miles autobiography...i believe that was when the live album "four and more" was recorded. it may have been re-released under another title.miles also said if tony was mad at anybody in the band, he wouldn't support them during their solo! i highly recommend that book for jazzbos, i've read it twice,it's an honest and fascinating look at miles the man and his great bands.it's hard to put down.

foursticks said:
Does anyone know any other albums apart from 'Seven Steps to Heaven' that hes appeared on with Miles Davis, which aren't live albums?

As for studio recording, Tony also appeared on ESP, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles in the Sky, Filles de Kilimanjaro and In a Silent Way. As for live album, he appeared on In Europe, My Funny Valentine, Four & More, Miles In Tokyo, Miles In Berlin and The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel (box set). Later, My Funny Valentine and Four & More were coupled together and released as a full-concert 2CD album in US only titled The Complete Concert 1964.

During 59/60 My lesson with Alan Dawson was followed by Tony Williams
lesson. Alan would ask Tony to come in and we would play
together . Tony would say "does that sound even?" If we said
NO ;;;;; He would say "GOOD'" HE meant it''''''''
Tony was really doing his very musical ''concept;' of his teacher Alan
Dawson and only scratched the surface;;;;;;;......
I miss them both////
Butch Axsmith

The bottom line is that Tony was one one of the greatest drummers ever. You could recognize him by his playing, drum sound and his fearless approach. The guy had great technique and always played with a lot of attitude.

I would go to Blues Alley in DC to see him and would get there hours early just so I could sit right up front for a good view. God he was incredible.

To anyone unfamiliar with his playing PLEASE do yourself a favor and check him out.

Many of the most famous drummers (Ringo, Peart, Beauford, etc.) always seem to have their detractors or critics (Yeah I respect his playing but it's just not what I'm into,etc.)
But I have yet to hear ANY drummer from any style not dig Tony Williams. He's THAT cool!

Tonys swiss army triplet stuff is what does it for me. unreal. and to think he inspired so many modern greats like Vinnie, Greg and more, what a legend. A fearless drummer who could play at any dynamc or any speed, one of the great early fusion drummers in my opinion.

Re: Blazing Tony

Tony was a very talented jazz musician and one of my greatest influences. He managed to create a screen of sounds and executed it with such originality. Tony's soloing was very clean and precise, warm and sensitive, and overflowed with emotion. Every jazz musician acknowledges the contributions that he brought to the jazz community.

Last edited:
my favorite album thus far w/ tony (at least at this point in time) is sam rivers' "fuschia swing song". if you havent checked this album out, do it. particularly if youre an early tony fan. this album was recorded pre lifetime and i think it really shows the height of tony's more straight ahead oriented playing. lots of "mood" solos all over the record, splashing hi hats, etc. fantastic....

any other votes for favourite tony albums?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the pleasure to be able to study with Tony Williams years ago in San Francisco. It was a dream come true. Tony is my all time hero, both as a drummer and musician. I was so scared to meet him after talking with him on the phone (I couldn't believe I was talking to the Great Tony Williams), but when I finally met him for the first time, he was kind, gracious, and friendly. When it came down to lesson time, he was dead serious. He was one of the great drum ambassodors, because he demanded that the drums were equal to any other instrument in the band, and as a drummer, that you respect the instrument, the history of it, and the music first.

He said to me, "I'm here because I stood on the shoulders of Giants".

Not enough can be said about Tony. The one thing that always makes me smile to this day is not really drum related, but one time, while standing outside of Drum World in San Francisco with Tony, we started talking about American football. He really knew a lot about it. He would talk about the old Quarterbacks he watched back in the day, the great teams and such, and I asked him who his favorite team was.

He said " The San Francisco 49ers, of course".

Being a huge 49er fan myself, I was absolutely beaming.

God Bless Tony Williams.

During 59/60 My lesson with Alan Dawson was followed by Tony Williams
lesson. Alan would ask Tony to come in and we would play
together . Tony would say "does that sound even?" If we said
NO ;;;;; He would say "GOOD'" HE meant it''''''''
Tony was really doing his very musical ''concept;' of his teacher Alan
Dawson and only scratched the surface;;;;;;;......
I miss them both////
Butch Axsmith

I worship you.

Yes, Tony is definitely a musical genius with ideas and technique like no other.

Mr.Tony William was well recognised & accredited for his skills and contribution by many Professional Drummers of todays as written in Magazines, in many Drumming DVDs....and especially from many of the lucky people here, who had the priviledge to learn from this GREAT.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back