Joey Jordison

MagnZ said:
I love joey's playing and the solo on disasterpiece... And the solo is just a crowd pleaser? ehh you're on a stage in front of thousands of fans. To please your the crowd is what you get paid for.. the hole point of a concert. So of course its a crowd pleaser. But it also awsome playing:D \m/OoO

I totally agree!
Maybe in a different type of band, the focus is more on skill and playing great music together ect... However, the band that Slipknot is, the heavy moshing ect, pleasing the crowd is what its all about.

I know I know old thread.. But i've done my research on Slipknot.. interesting history if you really wanna take the time. Yes, the 2 other drummers are fairly good, Actually Shawn Crahan was the original drummer. No, Jordison is not only a heavy metal drummer. I heard a song from 1997, an original "never supposed to be heard" off their album "Crowz". Supposedly only like 3 were made, but there is a song called Wise Up, its basically 17 minutes of them just jamming, line up then was lacking Chris Fehn and a couple others, primarily Sid Wilson and Jim Root(or Mick Thompson) I cant honestly remember. But it actually sounds very little like Slipknot now. By very little I mean "wow I can't tell" Except for Jordison, I really couldn't Joey just has that style that you're like yep, that's him. But he laid down some funky grooves that I liked no less than his work on Slipknot, Iowa and Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses. I like his style, I love the rolls and double bass grooves. Fun to play too. I'm not gonna rant and rave about how all other drummers suck and Jordison is god, I love the guys style and hes my favorite but I am willing to admit that there are better drummers than him and every mans entitled to his own opinion, just wanted to shed some light onto the situation involving Shawn Crahan and Chris Fehn. :) Also about how Jordison would or wouldn't sound good playing Jazz, or something similar, i've heard it and yes he sounds very good considering its almost a decade ago.

[hello, i see what your saying about the other drummers but they make the band seem much more heavier and Chris and Shawn also do backing singing in some songs, also what would duality be without the beer keg?. With or without Chris and Shawn Joey is still amazing.

Yes that also, Shawn does back up vocals for a lot of songs, The Nameless(If you listen live he also says things during the "Pathetic.. Accepted.. etc" part. Ah yes, the beer keg part in duality! haha I love seeing him live beat that thing with a baseball bat, requires no talent but he knows how to time it, if you listen to songs you'll hear it and be like damn, that added a lot of character to the song. The marching snare part in The Blister Exists is rather easy.. but it's not bad either. Easy doesn't always equal bad haha I like it, one of the first things I played actually.. Thought I was cool but now I was like oh.. that really required no talent.. haha

Also for those solo people, the 9.0 solo sounds a whole lot better than the Disasterpieces IMO. Sort of same thing but I feel like I hear a lot more cymbals and stuff

Last edited:
Wow, that was alot of reading! Many different thoughts and views on Mr. Jordison. Heres mine: Joey is an exceptional drummer. He gives Slipknot's sound what it needs drumwise. I will never go as far to say he is the best drummer, but he could possibly be the best at what he does for them. It's all taste and opinon obviously. He is exceptional. His style and speed fit right in with Slipknot. He does play some complicated stuff too. Nice coordination, fast hands and feet.

The two percussionists really are useful, just not at all tracks. For instance, they don't play on The Heretic Anthem and some other songs, but they do contribute very well in songs such as The Blister Exists, Iowa, Gently and Duality. These songs would not be same without the percussionists.

As for Joey, he is an really good drummer IMO.

i dunno about you guys but i really wish one day that joey jordison will stop being a topic about weither hes good or bad. he's living my dream so he must be doing something right, at least to me. good enough for me.

jordison is by no means the best drummer. he is incredible but not the best. but to all those who say 'i can do that hes just quick.' i would love to see you create such complex beats to the insane music of all the other 8 members of slipknot. not so easy. i'm sure its possible, jordison just happened to be the one in slipknot, but jordison is to slipknot what bonham was to led zeppelin. enough said..

other news- yes slipknot has a new dvd coming out this year-- being worked out by shawn crahan. should be better than disasterpieces believe it or not and their supposed time of return is 2008. the new album should be out very soon after the rejoining, since most members are still warmed up due to side projects and such. they also have some material already made, they are musicians.. material can come at any time haha. no promises from me, anything can happen to alter events, hopefully not however. i for 1 am looking forward to the new slipknot album.

Last edited:
I've never been a huge fan of Jordison's work, I wouldn't go as far as to say he sucks, but from the songs and solos I've heard, he comprises most of performance with bass blast mixed with doubles, bounces, and rolls on the toms with a cymbal crash from time to time. Not much of his playing ever really demonstrates a good syncopated beat or any impressive chops. Sure, he's got some speed, but there's more than that to the equasion in my (somewhat educated) opinion.

Of course, at the same time, he does do enough to have his playing match the rest of the band, fit the style, and keep the mood, color, and tone of the song.

i think joey doesnt have the greatest solos (espescially the ones on disterpieces and their live cd) but i do think he has some pretty cool chops in the sound check (its on you tube) i also think duality has an amazing beat. But still Joey is not great he is just good. I consider him more of an icon for metal than for drums.

pudgytheclown said:
by the way does any body have his snare drum? Im trying to decide if i should buy one.

i've played his snare drum in the drum centre...

it has a nice response and sounds exactly as it does on the album (if you like the sound on the album...)

nice drum, 13 inch...

pearl drummer92 said:
are u crazy! listen carefully and u will hear a bunch of cymbal stuff. and other stuff its actuall relly complicated

I personally think that a lot of people on this thread havnt even seen his solo, they are just trying to go along with the crowd, possibly because of their dislike for Slipknot.

Joey is an awsome drummer and a huge inspiration to me. If people dislike his playing then whatever, but if you call him unskillful then your just ignorent.

kornslipknot said:
I personally think that a lot of people on this thread havnt even seen his solo, they are just trying to go along with the crowd, possibly because of their dislike for Slipknot.

Joey is an awsome drummer and a huge inspiration to me. If people dislike his playing then whatever, but if you call him unskillful then your just ignorent.

I've seen the solo, live in concert and it was far more interesting live than watching it on the internet. He's got chops, but it really works better in Slipknot's music. Soloing to me, is the drums' attempt at being melodic and telling a complete musical story. It's not a bunch of doublebass blasts and tom/bass combos. Maybe as he gets older, his solos will become more melodic.

It's not bad stuff at all... and the crowd digs it, as did I.. the crowd also buys the records. I guess you can't argue with what makes them happy.

OK.Joey is good,hes got talent,hes fast.Theres a whole bunch of metal drummers who kick his ass not to mention drummaz like gadd or weckl lol.His sucks actually...BUT the guy is a showman,he did not do the solo to earn our(the drummer-world) apreciation.He does it to please the fourteen year old moshers who call him the best drummer of the world just cause all the drummers they know is jon dolmayan and jordison.So my point is that the guy does 50% music 50%showbuisness.I find it stupid to run 5hours a day to make your doublbass spped higher instead of practising

doublebass said:
OK.Joey is good,hes got talent,hes fast.Theres a whole bunch of metal drummers who kick his ass not to mention drummaz like gadd or weckl lol.His sucks actually...BUT the guy is a showman,he did not do the solo to earn our(the drummer-world) apreciation.He does it to please the fourteen year old moshers who call him the best drummer of the world just cause all the drummers they know is jon dolmayan and jordison.So my point is that the guy does 50% music 50%showbuisness.I find it stupid to run 5hours a day to make your doublbass spped higher instead of practising

Who knows... maybe Joey will burn out playing metal, take lessons from Freddy Gruber and become a jazz player.

Stranger things have happened.

I'll admit, even though I despise Slipknot, that Joey is a good drummer. Not the best drummer in metal, but a good drummer. Though he is not the most creative drummer, I still give him credit for developing his speed to that degree. It does take patience to develop speed, and as long as his drumming complements the music being played, I see no problem. Personally, I enjoy drummers such as Dave Lombardo and Martin Lopez, but Joey does deserve respect.

Originally posted by doublebass

Hmm, not sure why you mentioned John Dolmayan. I believe he is actually an underrated drummer. But this is not the Dolmayan thread, so I'll take my business to that thread :O

Gil_drummer said:
I'll admit, even though I despise Slipknot, that Joey is a good drummer. Not the best drummer in metal, but a good drummer. Though he is not the most creative drummer, I still give him credit for developing his speed to that degree. It does take patience to develop speed, and as long as his drumming complements the music being played, I see no problem. Personally, I enjoy drummers such as Dave Lombardo and Martin Lopez, but Joey does deserve respect.

I agree.

Though i do think he is creative with his solo. So many people on this thread Dont rate Joey due to so called 'crowd pleasing' solo's. What an absolute joke that is, seriously.

When you listen to the solo from 9.0 for example, joey is stopping and starting the kicks at such a fast speed, as well as doing crazy chops ect on the tomms. I listen to it completely stunned sometimes trying to figure out what he is doing.

best drummer in metal, of cource not. But not liking a drummer due to these 'crowd pleasing' solo's is rediculas.

Back