Quitting Smoking

Pol I pulled back immediately after hearing the first recordings. Being horrified while cringeing will do that to you. I didn't have vibe to lose before I recorded. Listening back and adjusting and eliminating things that don't work and tweaking and really making an effort to sound "recording quality good" is the only way I've gotten any vibe I might have. I use my critical ear right back on my own playing and make mental notes that amazingly I can remember when I encounter that musical situation again. I can't recommend it enough, recording gigs. If I wasn't able anymore to listen back to recordings of live gigs...I would consider that a major impedance to my progress.
I want to post some stuff from the new blues trio I have been working with. Some really tasty stuff.

lol ... here's Larry after first hearing his playing recorded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNUr__-VZeQ

Seriously, this is good stuff ... as I'm sure your blues will be!

Any chance of you doing some Joe Cocker-esqe vocals?

I'm not sure what to make of this, is it humor or are you serious?
I do sing in my rock band and my 4 piece blues band.
I don't sing in this blues trio. The leader is a walking jukebox who has worked with some real heavies in the business. The guy can serve up hundreds of songs, words and all, from memory. He likes his drummers in the background, personality wise. I did sing once with that trio last year, and got some positive feedback from the crowd, but I picked up a vibe from the leader that I was stepping outside of my designated area. He didn't use me for 3 weeks afterwards, so now I just play drums and defer to the bandleader. He is an extremely talented man, I have to give him that. Playing with him is the highlight of my life.

Pol you're a scream, where DO you find these clips?

I'm not sure what to make of this, is it humor or are you serious?
I do sing in my rock band and my 4 piece blues band.
I don't sing in this blues trio. The leader is a walking jukebox who has worked with some real heavies in the business. The guy can serve up hundreds of songs, words and all, from memory. He likes his drummers in the background, personality wise. I did sing once with that trio last year, and got some positive feedback from the crowd, but I picked up a vibe from the leader that I was stepping outside of my designated area. He didn't use me for 3 weeks afterwards, so now I just play drums and defer to the bandleader. He is an extremely talented man, I have to give him that. Playing with him is the highlight of my life.

Pol you're a scream, where DO you find these clips?

Serious but jovial? I wasn't making fun of you, just makes for a cool picture you doing some gravely blues vocals while drumming.

The only reason I asked was because I knew you sang in your rock band.

I'm sure your singer is fantastic, leaving you on the bench for a few weeks when you got a warm reception sounds like a bit of a dick thing to do though. I guess if he's the leader and you love playing with him you need to respect his wishes.

Poly has way too much time on her hands, I think we've all established that :p

Good luck on quitting smoking! I hear its tough, luckily I never started so i dont have to go down the quitting road

Just visited the doctor yesterday with my dad, who is having breathing problems. He smoked 3 packs a day way back in the 1950s, but quit after 10 years. Nonetheless he has some emphasema and pulminary fibrosis that is getting worse every year. The doc said the smoking definitely contributed to the problem.

1. Slowly reduce smoking habits with extended gaps which will minimize addiction to cigarette smoking.
2. Keep some chocolates or chewing gums with you. Whenever you feel for smoking take one chocolate or chewing gum and keep in your mouth and concentrate in your work.
3. Whenever you feel to smoke immediately leave your room and do some physical exercise which is helpful to forget smoking.
4. Avoid company associated in smoking habits.
5. Avoid to inhale smokes from any smoking person surrounding you because indirect smoking will also be addictive and harmful.
6. Don't keep cigarette packet along with you.
7. Make a tour program in high altitude mountain trekking. In high altitude you will feel no urge to smoke. If you can spend a week in such high altitude place you can quit smoking. If you can motivate yourself after return at home that will be the best opportunity to quit smoking for ever.

I honestly don't know, cool video by the way, Hicks was a legend.

I've wondered before if it's an Australian social thing due to the fact we associate almost everything with drinking at a certain age or if there is some kind of chemical link between the two.

It's the thing here in England as well, it just doesn't seem right to be outside with a pint without a cig in t'other hand.

Either way I know it's a horrible habit, never wish I'd started, but it does seem to be almost an unavoidable part of life when out on the piss.

Good job on quitting!!!

For me it was a little different than most, the thought of leaving the house in the morning without cigs was terrifying. So I kept a full pack in the normal place in my car for the first 2 weeks. Then I just didn't smoke any, I didn't quit smoking, I just didn't smoke.

It's only been about 6 months for me, but I really haven't smoked much more than 1/3 to a 1/2 pack for the last 6 or 7 years. But had been smoking for over 20 years.

It's the thing here in England as well, it just doesn't seem right to be outside with a pint without a cig in t'other hand.

Either way I know it's a horrible habit, never wish I'd started, but it does seem to be almost an unavoidable part of life when out on the piss.

Pings and ciggies seem to be the universal language for bars world wide.

Update,
It is now mid July and I still haven't gone back to smoking.
I have made it for over three months.
I don't even think about smoking anymore.
I am really starting to feel great!
We have had real hot and humid weather and I can breathe with ease!
I work in a sweltering automotive repair shop.
It can reach 110 degrees F in my shop.

I don't cough and my nose doesn't run anymore.
My eyes aren't bloodshot and sore.
My body has healed.

I urge anyone who is smoking to quit.

I'm with you, Bob. It's been five months since I quit. Being able to breath, man, take a deep breath, is amazing. No more rattling in the lungs or shortness of breath, my teeth are whiter and I don't stink anymore. My music room doesn't stink either.

And, I'm saving money. Since I've stopped smoking I've saved about 63 dollars a week, that's what my two-pack-a-day habit cost at $4.50 per pack. That's $252 a month, so over the past five months I've saved $1,260.

And more money is always a good thing. Less for the big tobacco corpos and more for me. So if you're still smoking, quit it!!!!

I urge anyone who is smoking to quit.

So if you're still smoking, quit it!!!!

The Aussie government.......Mrs Pockett......then Bob......and now Jay......

I'm starting to feel guilty, men. The only problem is....hadn't thought about a smoke in the last couple of hours, until all this talk of quitting reminded me that I haven't had a fag in a while....and now I'm gagging for one.....arrrggghhh!!!

The Aussie government.......Mrs Pockett......then Bob......and now Jay......

I'm starting to feel guilty, men. The only problem is....hadn't thought about a smoke in the last couple of hours, until all this talk of quitting reminded me that I haven't had a fag in a while....and now I'm gagging for one.....arrrggghhh!!!

How much are cigarettes in Melbourne? Well, what you don't spend on them is found money, man, extra cash. Ask yourself, would you rather have five dollars a day more or not? Ten dollars a day?

It's the way things are going, you know. Smoking cigarettes is on the way out.

I'm still fighting the damn belly I've gained, and it's a huge drag because at my age you start loosing muscle tone, so I've joined a gym which I absolutely hate because it reminds me of gym class when I was a kid.

But, I don't smoke!

How much are cigarettes in Melbourne? Well, what you don't spend on them is found money, man, extra cash. Ask yourself, would you rather have five dollars a day more or not? Ten dollars a day?

It's the way things are going, you know. Smoking cigarettes is on the way out.

I'm still fighting the damn belly I've gained, and it's a huge drag because at my age you start loosing muscle tone, so I've joined a gym which I absolutely hate because it reminds me of gym class when I was a kid.

But, I don't smoke!

Just bought a new pack.....I'm ashamed to admit that I just forked out $15.85 Aussie dollars for a pack of 25!! (Hence my earlier gripe at the government.....inexcess of 10 bucks going straight into their coffers, I'd guess).

At this very moment Jay, you couldn't be more correct.....there is little doubt that money would be better off in my pocket....the perils of addiction.;

You have reminded me though. Not only do I really need to toss the fags....but I could probably start to invest in a sit up or two as well. I haven't "let slip" just yet....but any further down the line and a come back to 'fighting weight' will be irretrievable :)

I haven't "let slip" just yet....but any further down the line and a come back to 'fighting weight' will be irretrievable :)

Man, I'm in that very situation. I never gave physical fitness any thought at all. I was young, skinny and pretty, I was always on the music business hustle day and night, and I thought it would always be that way.

Hah hah. Now I'm beginning to look like my father. Oy.

BUT!!! I don't smoke anymore!!!!

It is odd because I haven't gained weight.
I am the same as I was. I am about 10 LBS over what my optimum weight should be.
I guess that the more drinking and less coffee has countered the weight gain.
I cut down on those vices shortly after I stopped the cigs.

Last edited:
Back