i have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to pedals...

zafrothunder

Could someone suggest me a pedal that is designed for fast and powerful playing, but is not too expensive?

I'm looking for something under $100. If I could, I would get a DW5000 or Tama Iron Cobra but I am not willing to spend that much on a pedal alone.

I dont know any pedals besides those two...

Also, could I get some opinions on the Tama HP200 Iron Cobra Jr.? Its only like $80...

thanks in advance!

Go with the IC JR if you are strapped for cash. I play ICs myself along with dws occasionally and i can honestly say that i don't feel a difference btwn the 80 dollar pedal and my 330 dollar pedal Lol. Ahh gotta love the mistakes you can make by not playing something before you buy it. I could have saved allot of cash.

Go with the IC JR if you are strapped for cash. I play ICs myself along with dws occasionally and i can honestly say that i don't feel a difference btwn the 80 dollar pedal and my 330 dollar pedal Lol. Ahh gotta love the mistakes you can make by not playing something before you buy it. I could have saved allot of cash.

believe me, as you start to play faster/harder you'll feel the extra 200, that being said its ok to get an entry level pedal when you're starting out. the pearl p-120 and p-900 are two seriously well built pedals and can be had in single form for under 100. those are my biggest recomendations for budget level pedals. at all costs stay away from the PDP 402, or any double kick that you can get new for 100 or less. these pedals will cause you to have some seriously bad habbits. their springs are poorly made and they have little adjustability coupled with poor construction and off-the-shelf hardware components. just terrible little pedals

I have the Tama hp 200 ( ic jr ) and i love it is a great pedal it has smooth action and it is built to last. I also have a tama chain drive pedal that is 25 years old and I still use it for gigs.
You can't go wrong with Tama.

Don't cheap out on a pedal man. It's not going to get you anywhere except for having to spend more money down the road. Save up a few hundred and get yourself a DW9000 pedal. Best pedal i've ever owned, fast, light, amazing action!

And don't forget to look for used gear...

I got my DW's from a used website, still brand new in the box. The first owner ordered the DW 5002 AC3 from an ebay vendor that would not take returns and found that out after he had ordered a set of DW 9002's and paid for them already. His loss was my gain, and to the tune of about $200 in savings on my part!

Used is a good option for those of us that are lacking cash... (Myself included!)

alright thanks!

I'm still gonna try it out though, if I can. Make sure it feels right

I would seriously check out e-bay for a GOOD used pedal. It's the most used piece of equipment on the kit and takes a beating. A good pedal can really help improve your playing and make playing more enjoyable.

I would seriously check out e-bay for a GOOD used pedal. It's the most used piece of equipment on the kit and takes a beating. A good pedal can really help improve your playing and make playing more enjoyable.

i'll be sure to do that. My number one choice would be a dw5000 turbo. If I can find one for around $100, i'll take it

If you haven't tried out pedals yet, hopefully you have a guitar center or other big music store near you, you should try out pedals and see which one you like better. At guitar center you might need to look around in the back for the drum department to find the pedals that you can try out. On the DW website it says that the accelerator model is their most popular, so guitar center is going to stock the most bought pedal to get the most money. You might not see the turbo model at guitar center. When I was at guitar center I looked for the turbo also, but they didn't have it, so I tried an Iron Cobra and compared to the DW 5000AD3. The result was that the Iron Cobra was faster and more smooth. Also the Iron Cobra is $10 cheaper new.

Find the one you like the most and you can probably get an Iron Cobra or DW 5000 around $100 used. I would look on craigslist because then you can make sure its not broken, something is missing (like the thing that attaches to the bass drum), or it is just plain trashed.

If you haven't tried out pedals yet, hopefully you have a guitar center or other big music store near you, you should try out pedals and see which one you like better. At guitar center you might need to look around in the back for the drum department to find the pedals that you can try out. On the DW website it says that the accelerator model is their most popular, so guitar center is going to stock the most bought pedal to get the most money. You might not see the turbo model at guitar center. When I was at guitar center I looked for the turbo also, but they didn't have it, so I tried an Iron Cobra and compared to the DW 5000AD3. The result was that the Iron Cobra was faster and more smooth. Also the Iron Cobra is $10 cheaper new.

Find the one you like the most and you can probably get an Iron Cobra or DW 5000 around $100 used. I would look on craigslist because then you can make sure its not broken, something is missing (like the thing that attaches to the bass drum), or it is just plain trashed.

I have been looking around, and this is what I've come up with

tama iron cobra jr hp200 - $60 NEW
iron cobra power glide hp900ps - $99 USED (but in "like new" condition) *without cobra coil
dw 5000 turbo - $102 (USED but in "exceptionally fine" condition)

Nothing too special, but significant difference from the prices at guitarcenter.

By the way, my GC has all of the above pedals in stock, so I will head over there and try them out.

I have a question though. What are the main differences between the DW5000 Turbo and Accelerator? I want a pedal that will give a great balance between power and speed. Has anyone had any experience with the two and can comment on which they think I will like more. My music is grunge/alternative/hardcore punk (seems like i have to say that a lot)

And I hear that the 2009 models of the Iron Cobra have the "Cobra Coil," which allows the pedal to go faster. Has anyone whose tried have any experience with one, and is there a significant difference?

All craigslist postings I found were for double pedals, and they werent being sold individually. Each posting I found had the pedal included in with a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks for all the help so far! These are the links...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-Iron-Cobra...s=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/THIS-DW-5000-TU...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-TAMA-...s=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

i might be able to sneak a fast one with the Cobra JR and get it for like a dollar lol

Last edited:
Nothing too special, but significant difference from the prices at guitarcenter.

I have a question though. What are the main differences between the DW5000 Turbo and Accelerator? I want a pedal that will give a great balance between power and speed. Has anyone had any experience with the two and can comment on which they think I will like more. My music is grunge/alternative/hardcore punk (seems like i have to say that a lot)

First of all guitar center is overpriced, the best deals are online.

As stated on the DW website under the 5000 section, this is the accelerator, "The Accelerator drive system offers an eccentric motion that creates an indirect relationship between the sprocket and the footboard, increasing the velocity of the pedal by shortening the length of the stroke. It is recommended for situations that require increased speed and sensitivity."

The turbo, "The Turbo concentric drive system maintains a direct relationship between the sprocket and the footboard to provide a solid, powerful, consistent feel and response."

If you are playing fast bass drum and blast beats and such, the accelerator is for you. If you are playing regular speed, the turbo is for you. Based on your preferences I think you would want the turbo because it says it's powerful, there should be enough speediness as this is a top-of-the-line pedal.

If you are playing fast bass drum and blast beats and such, the accelerator is for you. If you are playing regular speed, the turbo is for you. Based on your preferences I think you would want the turbo because it says it's powerful, there should be enough speediness as this is a top-of-the-line pedal.

I'm not playing anything that fast...This is about the fastest I would ever want to go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CKiHdH5-ec

I'm going to compare the Iron Cobra and DW and see which one I feel more comfortable with. Both deals I found had the pedals in great condition, and were similar in price.

If it were me and it meant saving just a little longer to get and IC, Pearl Elim, or DW5000 I DEFINITELY would wait you'll be glad you did ;-)

If it were me and it meant saving just a little longer to get and IC, Pearl Elim, or DW5000 I DEFINITELY would wait you'll be glad you did ;-)

im torn between the iron cobra and dw5000 turbo, but i'll know once i test them at guitarcenter.

im leaning toward the dw5000 at this point, mainly because of its popularity with my favorite drummers, but i dont know for sure

im torn between the iron cobra and dw5000 turbo, but i'll know once i test them at guitarcenter.

im leaning toward the dw5000 at this point, mainly because of its popularity with my favorite drummers, but i dont know for sure

Don't base your equipment decisions off of what your favor drummers are sponsored and PAID to play! That's an advertising technique to get you to buy something. Buy based off your personal testing of gear and how it feels to you!

Don't base your equipment decisions off of what your favor drummers are sponsored and PAID to play! That's an advertising technique to get you to buy something. Buy based off your personal testing of gear and how it feels to you!

well, its just because i play similar music to them.

i honestly have no idea at this point. im thinking that the iron cobra power glide has a much better balance between speed and power than the turbo

wont know until i try though

Back