Headphones for Drumming?

There are a few threads on isolation phones, check the info there.

Best I've found are GK-Music Ultraphones. Nothing else comes close.

Bermuda

Yeah i stopped messing around and bought a pair. They are Sony 7506 phones. Bermuda is right, nothing else compares.

During the last few weeks I've been on a headphone auditioning/buying spree. I ended up buying four pairs, A KRK8400, a Shure SRH440 and two pairs of the Shure SRH 840 phones. Out of the above bunch, the Shure 840 are the best sounding with the most ambient noise isolation. With just the headphones over my ears and without any audio from the console, my drums sound the truest with very little colorization of the drums and cymbals. This test is a major plus when auditioning a set of headphones. When you're influenced by headphones that color the ambient sounds of the drums, you're not hearing exactly the way your drums sound without using headphones. Sure most headphones will limit the amount of sound getting into your ears through the ear pads, but great phones will not color that sound, but only attenuate it. These phones also have great sensitivity for a given input level to the phones. Another great attribute of the 840's are their incredibly flat frequency response with a mid range that's not too advanced or retarded into the mix. Their bass response I find is also very true and not exaggerated.

Although I like mixing on certain KRK studio monitors, I find the KRK 8400 headphones a bit lacking because of their sterile low end response, even after a 24 hour burn-in. The mid range and high frequency response is great. If it wasn't for the issues of low frequency, I'd be all over these as tracking phones even though the 840's have a bit better isolation. The KRK 8400 weighs much less than the 840s and are more on par with the 440. You can actually forget that you are wearing these phones due to their comfort and fit.

The only faults I can find in the Shure 440 headphones is that they don't fit over the ears with the fit and comfort of the 840 phones. The 840s have a tad better low and high frequency response, although most would not notice this unless they were very acquainted with the material that they are listening to on an audiophile system. These too have great sensitivity, even more so than the 840s. The Shure 440 headphones have a very nice response and I like them much more than the Sennheiser 280s, although the 280s have a bit better ambient noise cancellation. Both the Shure 440 and 840 headphones have user replaceable cords and ear pads.

I take great care buying audio equipment as I do buying drums and cymbals, so the above reasons are why I ended up buying two 840s for myself and six pairs for the studio.

Dennis

compared to all of you, i'm just cheap then.

i just use some cheap Skullcandy isolating earbuds
and over those, i use those ear muffs that the airport workers use. works adequately and it gives me a studio typed sound, and i dig that.

The only faults I can find in the Shure 440 headphones is that they don't fit over the ears with the fit and comfort of the 840 phones. The 840s have a tad better low and high frequency response, although most would not notice this unless they were very acquainted with the material that they are listening to on an audiophile system. These too have great sensitivity, even more so than the 840s. The Shure 440 headphones have a very nice response and I like them much more than the Sennheiser 280s, although the 280s have a bit better ambient noise cancellation. Both the Shure 440 and 840 headphones have user replaceable cords and ear pads.

Dennis

Nice review. Sounds like a WIN for the Shure 440's. :)

I hear the bass is a bit better than the 280's also.

Any other great things to say about em?...lol.

I'm in the same boat, looking to replace my $120 "metrophones" with the built in metronome. They have great isolation (29db), a removable straight cord, and make drums and cymbals sound great, but they are very uncomfortable after 30 minutes, the overall sound quality is lacking, and they are the ugliest cans out there. I've been leaning towards the Sennheiser HD280's because they have similar isolation (although I hate the coiled/non-removable cord) and lots of good reviews, but now all this talk of the Shure 840's is making me reconsider.

I use headphones for band practice (with mic's and a mixer) and for playing shows, so having some that work well and don't make you look like a tool would be a bonus. I've used a pair of Shure in ear monitors ($100) but those were stolen. They worked well for shows and sounded ok, but the ambient noise made the drums sound terrible. So now I'm torn between getting a big pair of cans, or a solid pair of in-ears and just covering them with the hunter/construction worker headphones during practice.

I still don't know what to get, I guess I'm just as confused as the next guy. I'm fine with paying $60-$100 but I can't really afford to experiment.

The Sennheiser 280s and the Shure 440s are basically the same price. The Shure 840s will be $75 to $100 USD more.

Dennis

I use scull candy buds. Their wicked for the price!! only like fifteen bucks american. Great sound quality and very good for loud drummers(like me:p)
Hope this helps

What would you choose between Sennheiser HD280 and Shure SRH440???

They're both the same price.. Most reviews say that the isolation is better on the Senn's but the sound quality and comfort is better on the Shures...

I want them to use the click on rehearsals and probably live, so I'm favouring the 280's 'cause of the isolation.. but I still haven't decided.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

BTW, the Shure 440 and 840 headphones also has user replaceable cables, which might come in handy.

Dennis

I use scull candy buds. Their wicked for the price!! only like fifteen bucks american. Great sound quality and very good for loud drummers(like me:p)
Hope this helps

Not really, because if you use them like you say you are, then you'll damage your hearing pretty quickly. You shouldn't have to turn them up loud if they're isolated properly.

i use Direct Sound EX-29´s.
they offer 28db reduction. i think this will be enough. in fact i sometimes wish that i had got the EX-25´s which offer 24db reduction.

you may think they won´t work for you, because you can hear room sounds just fine when there´s no music playing through the phones...but once you start tracking you won´t hear a thing.

they EX-29´s are almost too good. when i´m playing along with a homemade cd of various artists (and thus varying volume levels) i can´t hear the drums at all when a louder song comes on..

if i´m tracking (recording) this is great because i can hear the track properly, but my drums (or amp, when i´m playing guitar) are absolutely not heard.

Vic Firth also makes similar models.

Direct Sound EX-29´s - $99
Direct Sound EX-24´s - $49

http://www.quietheadphones.com/product/ex-25/

Hi, are they good for live playing? i´m about to buy a couple of them to use them on stage for click & programed tracks and i´d like to know if they are good for that kind of use, thanks

I just purchased some Metrophones headphones for practice...these are the best out there!...with them just on (no click or music in the phones) you can hear your playing clearly (just lower)..kit sounds eq'd (really cool sounding!)..however the main reason I got them was for practice (at home on songs)...because no matter how loud I turned up the ipod (w/amplifier) using regular headphones, I still couldn't hear the music the way I needed to over the drums...now with the metrophones I don't even need the amplifier w/ my ipod when practicing...Great product!
btw..they come in three models w/o click, w/click, w/click and LCD readout

http://www.music123.com/Pro-Audio/H...phones-with-Metronome.site7prod446902.product

Last edited:
For those considering the Extreme Isolation EX-29 headphones for drumming, there are a ton of pros who recommend them including Jim Riley of Rascal Flats, Chad Szliga of Breaking Benjamin, and Shawn Drover of MEGADETH, who has used the EX-29s for over 5 years, says they have literally saved his ears. For the price, they can't be beat if you ask me. Seriously, MEGADETH?!? Can you imagine needing something more than the drummer from MEGADETH needs for sound isolation? You can see some of the other pros who endorse them at http://drumming-headphones.com/endorsements/. Hope this helps those tring to find the right cans for the job.

Hi, are they good for live playing? i´m about to buy a couple of them to use them on stage for click & programed tracks and i´d like to know if they are good for that kind of use, thanks

i´ve never used them live. but they should be.

I jumped in on this post with the same problem debating between headphones. For me, isolation and the ambient sound of drums WITH headphones was the most important factor, and headphone speaker sound quality was the second. I was looking to replace the Metrophones that I've had for years that have become very uncomfortable to wear for more than 20 minutes. After reading a lot of posts like this, it came down to the Shure SRH440 or the Sennheiser HD280. The HD280s supposedly had better isolation, but the 440s had better sound, parts were more easily replaceable etc, and they were both about the same price ($100).

I went to a guitar center to try them both out and I wasn't really happy with either of them. What I'd heard was true, that the 440s had better sound, but the 280s had better isolation. But neither was good enough to get me to buy them. I ended up looking back into the Extreme Isolation EX-29's. I saw the video on them, about how the parts were replaceable, I'd heard they had amazing customer service, and these headphones were built specifically for drumming by drummers. I ended up snagging a slightly used pair on Ebay for $72 which was a total SCORE since they sell for $120 new.

The result: DEFINITELY the right choice for what I was looking for. Decent sound quality, very good isolation, and very lightweight compared to my old metrophones.
The ambient sound of the drums when using the headphones without any incoming audio is also great. It is a bit warmer and flatter sounding than the sound I got from my metrophones and has taken a little getting used to but it's been totally worth it.

The ONLY thing I would liked to have seen differently was having a detachable 1/8" cable on one side of phones similar to the SRH440's and the metrophones. Instead it has the traditional cord coming from each headphone. I did like that the 1/4" adapter that came with the phones screws onto the 1/8" jack instead of snapping on. This is much more study and will not get lose or wear out the connection.

There were some that commented positively about the EX-29's and I'm glad they did. I'm totally on their side. Another success story for the EX-29s.

I jumped in on this post with the same problem debating between headphones. For me, isolation and the ambient sound of drums WITH headphones was the most important factor, and headphone speaker sound quality was the second. I was looking to replace the Metrophones that I've had for years that have become very uncomfortable to wear for more than 20 minutes. After reading a lot of posts like this, it came down to the Shure SRH440 or the Sennheiser HD280. The HD280s supposedly had better isolation, but the 440s had better sound, parts were more easily replaceable etc, and they were both about the same price ($100).

I went to a guitar center to try them both out and I wasn't really happy with either of them. What I'd heard was true, that the 440s had better sound, but the 280s had better isolation. But neither was good enough to get me to buy them. I ended up looking back into the Extreme Isolation EX-29's. I saw the video on them, about how the parts were replaceable, I'd heard they had amazing customer service, and these headphones were built specifically for drumming by drummers. I ended up snagging a slightly used pair on Ebay for $72 which was a total SCORE since they sell for $120 new.

The result: DEFINITELY the right choice for what I was looking for. Decent sound quality, very good isolation, and very lightweight compared to my old metrophones.
The ambient sound of the drums when using the headphones without any incoming audio is also great. It is a bit warmer and flatter sounding than the sound I got from my metrophones and has taken a little getting used to but it's been totally worth it.

The ONLY thing I would liked to have seen differently was having a detachable 1/8" cable on one side of phones similar to the SRH440's and the metrophones. Instead it has the traditional cord coming from each headphone. I did like that the 1/4" adapter that came with the phones screws onto the 1/8" jack instead of snapping on. This is much more study and will not get lose or wear out the connection.

There were some that commented positively about the EX-29's and I'm glad they did. I'm totally on their side. Another success story for the EX-29s.

Well, I did the exact opposite, I bought the Sennheisers, and even though I can't comment about the EX-29's as I never wore them, I can definitely say that the Senns are overrated (for drumming purposes).

Sure, they sound and isolate good, yeah, that is, I can easily listen to my metronome over the drums at 50% volume (and it's a simple Boss DB-30, no amp or anything added).

HOWEVER, they do not isolate up to SAFE levels. If your only hearing protection are these cans while drumming, you're most definitely getting hearing damage.

SO, bottom line.. Whenever I get the chance I'll try to get some EX29's or even maybe some Vic Firth's.

Sennheiser HD280Pro: Great sound quality, excellent construction, and superb isolation, yes, for sure. But NOT SAFE FOR DRUMMING.

Cheers.

Sennheiser HD280Pro: Great sound quality, excellent construction, and superb isolation, yes, for sure. But NOT SAFE FOR DRUMMING.

Cheers.

I'm not clear on why you say they have superb isolation, but they are not safe for drumming. Just wondering. Is it their sensitivity ratings?

BTW, the Shure 440s are spectacular headphones that are very easy to drive with their high sensitivity. What I do is just replace the ear pads for greater isolation and comfort. The 840 ear pads fit exactly on the headphones as the 440 pads do. They are about $16 USD online. Another BTW, the Shure 440 headphones run rings around the 280s sonically. At least to my ears.

Dennis

I'm not clear on why you say they have superb isolation, but they are not safe for drumming. Just wondering. Is it their sensitivity ratings?

BTW, the Shure 440s are spectacular headphones that are very easy to drive with their high sensitivity. What I do is just replace the ear pads for greater isolation and comfort. The 840 ear pads fit exactly on the headphones as the 440 pads do. They are about $16 USD online. Another BTW, the Shure 440 headphones run rings around the 280s sonically. At least to my ears.

Dennis

Hi Dennis, I think I didn't make myself clear, I apologise.

What I mean is: The 280's have great isolation in comparison to any "normal" headphones. You can play drums (+100db) and listen to an iPod at lower volume than with earbuds on a bus, like at 50% volume, so I guess that counts as a lot of isolation. (it's impossible to play drums and listen to music clearly with regular earbuds or cheap closed headphones alone).

However, they don't provide the kind of isolation that earplugs or earmuffs do.

The earplugs I wear are the ones the use for Nascar racing. These:
http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protection/foam-earplugs/sparkplugs.php

They are rated as NRR33, which should be the equivalent of a 33db noise reduction.

The Senn 280's claim "up to 32db noise reduction", and I'm sure it's true, but definitely that 32db top isn't attenuated at the same frequencies that the Moldex earplugs.

I think I'm not being very clear (sorry, it's late and I'm tired so my English is not at its best right now).

What I'm trying to say is that these cans don't isolate the way that earplugs or earmuffs do. And after 40 minutes of playing, your ears start ringing, which doesn't happen with the earplugs/earmuffs.

Ergo: Not safe to drum with them.

Cheers.

Hi Dennis, I think I didn't make myself clear, I apologise.

What I mean is: The 280's have great isolation in comparison to any "normal" headphones. You can play drums (+100db) and listen to an iPod at lower volume than with earbuds on a bus, like at 50% volume, so I guess that counts as a lot of isolation. (it's impossible to play drums and listen to music clearly with regular earbuds or cheap closed headphones alone).

However, they don't provide the kind of isolation that earplugs or earmuffs do.

The earplugs I wear are the ones the use for Nascar racing. These:
http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protection/foam-earplugs/sparkplugs.php

They are rated as NRR33, which should be the equivalent of a 33db noise reduction.

The Senn 280's claim "up to 32db noise reduction", and I'm sure it's true, but definitely that 32db top isn't attenuated at the same frequencies that the Moldex earplugs.

I think I'm not being very clear (sorry, it's late and I'm tired so my English is not at its best right now).

What I'm trying to say is that these cans don't isolate the way that earplugs or earmuffs do. And after 40 minutes of playing, your ears start ringing, which doesn't happen with the earplugs/earmuffs.

Ergo: Not safe to drum with them.

Cheers.

Thanks for your clarification and there's no problem with your English.

Take care,
Dennis

Thanks for your clarification and there's no problem with your English.

Take care,
Dennis

Well, thanks a lot, man. I'm glad we could understand each other.

Have a nice day. (I'm sure it's warm over there, down here winter's coming and it's cold as a penguin's ass). Lol.

Cheers. :)

Back