My thrown collapsed with me playing DRUMS!!

TimmyG

I have 2 seats. One i kept with the band for gigging, and one i kept at home for practice and recording. Well one day i brought my gigging seat home becuase it didn't squeek like my practice one and i was going to do some recording. After about 5 minutes of playing, the seat broke at the weld holding the seat to the pole!!!! I fell back against the wall and hit my head!!! I realized if i didn't take the seat home i would have fallin playing the next gig!!! Boy am i glad it happened at home and not in front of 200 drunk people. I would have crawled under a rock if it did.

I had a throne break during a gig once. The audience thought that it was part of the act, because it broke right after the singer introduced me. It was a cheap throne. The next day I went out and I bought an expensive one from Gibraltar. I will never use a cheap throne again and I inspect my throne regularly for defects. If I find something worn or loose, I replace the throne. My safety isn't worth the $160 bucks for a new throne. If I was on a riser I could have been seriously injured.

The throne was not that old, only a few months. I complained to Sam Ash where I bought it. I sent them a private email with pics of the parts that failed. A few weeks later they removed the Store Brand throne form the web site and their stores. They also credited me the cost. They never sold it again. I never saw it on any other site, or in any other store again.

Last edited:
My seat was a DW. Checking it regularly is a good idea.

I like Sam ash, i buy all my gear there now.

It has happened thrice to me. Once on stage and another time while teaching. And another time at home while practicing. The last was a top of the range Pearl. It was never replaced even though it was a few months old. Too bad I wasn't dealing with Sam Ash.

I had a throne break during a gig once. The audience thought that it was part of the act, because it broke right after the singer introduced me. It was a cheap throne. The next day I went out and I bought an expensive one from Gibraltar. I will never use a cheap throne again and I inspect my throne regularly for defects. If I find something worn or loose, I replace the throne. My safety isn't worth the $160 bucks for a new throne. If I was on a riser I could have been seriously injured.

The throne was not that old, only a few months. I complained to Sam Ash where I bought it. I sent them a private email with pics of the parts that failed. A few weeks later they removed the Store Brand throne form the web site and their stores. They also credited me the cost. They never sold it again. I never saw it on any other site, or in any other store again.

You got to watch ALL of them, cheap and expensive. My son had 1 of those new Tama ... I forget the model but it was damn near $200 and it fell apart even after TAMA replaced the recalled parts on it. After the warranty was up the thing fell apart again !! he ended up getting another cheaper Tama throne and so far so good. I find it tough to get 1 that's affordable and well built. What model do you if you don't mind me asking ?

I've had thrones collapse on me also. Everyone of them had the compression type adjustment that would just tighten around the center tube. When I was young and very poor, I could count on my drum throne plummeting several inches from where I had it set. I've been rather lucky with hydraulic and worm type adjusters, so that's what I've been using for many years now without any negative issues.

Dennis

You got to watch ALL of them, cheap and expensive. My son had 1 of those new Tama ... I forget the model but it was damn near $200 and it fell apart even after TAMA replaced the recalled parts on it. After the warranty was up the thing fell apart again !! he ended up getting another cheaper Tama throne and so far so good. I find it tough to get 1 that's affordable and well built. What model do you if you don't mind me asking ?
I am currently using this Gibraltar throne. I have two of them. I bought the first one two years ago. So far no problems, thats why I bought the second one.
Link http://accessories.musiciansfriend....90753&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=162026939
If anyone has had problems with breakage of this model please let us know what happened.

I have also been looking at this Tama throne. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-HT741-Ergo-Rider-Throne-with-Backrest-440486-i1135458.gc If anyone knows about any problems, please share.

Last edited:
I have a DW 9101 throne and sometimes switch that out and sit on a cajon. Therefore, I doubt if I will ever have a similar type of equipment malfunction.

GJS

Ouch!

Well, glad You didn't get seriously injured, and it wasn't during a gig--that would have SUCKED!

I have gone through a few thrones, and only use heavy duty ones now- screw-type ones with a solid upper rod.
My best one is a slightly older Pearl double-braced HD one with a cloth top. Comfy, sturdy, and weighs about 6 lbs more than my Tama throne. I took out the 7/8" top tube in the Tama and replaced it with a solid 7/8" steel chrome plated rod.

I'm kinda big (6'4", 209 lbs) and feel and play a lot better with proper support under my keester.

One thing I noticed about cheaper thrones is the fact they use cheap, crappy rivets at the leg pivots and base rod clamp connections. I've drilled out many a rivet, and replaced them with stainless steel screws and NyLock nuts- good investment.

Cheers,
C. P.

I use a K&M "multi-purpose stool". Does a fine job so far. It's pretty high, even in its lowest setting. I have bad experience with Tama thrones, their lock mechanisms don't lock particularly well. But I haven't tried their expensive line. The rest of their hardware is fine.

I actually broke a Roc n Soc last year. It is the screw down type rather than the nitro model. I had the thing since 2001 and last year I bought the back rest for it. I attached the back rest and went to the gig. The first time I sat on it and leaned back, the mounting plate (square piece of metal that the seat cushion attaches to) actually tore itself off of the receiver (that cylindrical thing that goes onto the lower half of the throne) and I just about fell on my ass. I had to play the gig sitting on a chair which totally sucked.
The following Monday I contacted Roc n Soc and actually talked to the owner. I was pretty surprised that he answered the phone. He explained that thrones made before 2002 were made with a thinner mounting plate than the current ones and that other customers had the very same issue after they upgraded with a backrest. He sent me a new mounting plate for free. I replaced the old/broken one with it and haven't had a problem since. Knock on wood.

I can tell that most of us here are probably, some sort of an oldster, or at least on the way..!
I'm certainly in this category...

@:)

...Because I bet when most of us were 17 we'd jump off a 2 story house for 20 bucks..
and now we're talking about getting "seriously hurt" from falling off a drum throne..!

@:-O

I can tell that most of us here are probably, some sort of an oldster, or at least on the way..!
I'm certainly in this category...

@:)

...Because I bet when most of us were 17 we'd jump off a 2 story house for 20 bucks..
and now we're talking about getting "seriously hurt" from falling off a drum throne..!

@:-O
Yes, there is a good deal of humor in falling from a broken drum throne. The reality is that many entry level kits come with a sub standard throne. Manufacturers skimp on this important piece of equipment. There are no industry safety standards for thrones.
When you're playing the drums and a throne breaks your legs are in front of you and your feet are on the pedals. There is little that you can do to catch yourself. If you grab for your drums, (The only things that are in front of you) as you are falling. They will come down on top of you! I know because it happened to me. There was nothing that I could have done at the time. You will fall helplessly on your back or your head! Drummers don't wear helmets and protective gear like participants in other activities do! A head or spine injury is no laughing matter!
I think that standards for thrones are long overdue in the drum industry!

True, It is funny! At the same time it isn't!
I think that the hardware manufacturing industry should police itself a bit more on this issue.

I couldn't find any sites on the web where drum throne test information was available.

If someone knows of any, Please share them.

I have seen many posts on this forum over the years regarding this issue. The testimonies in this thread are not isolated incidents! This happens a lot!

Last edited:
Back