Who's the fastest drummer on Drummerworld? (on topic)

Well, that's a relief. Let's see those vids/hear those tracks, fellas.

Well, that's a relief. Let's see those vids/hear those tracks, fellas.
OK OK!!
I'll throw my hat in the ring if only to see this thread (hopefully) become something of a metal drummers database. Not sure which sure song would be the fastest (Self Bias Resistor maybe??).
Obviously, I've got nothing on the death/ extreme metal guys on this forum but would love to see their vids show up here as well.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94064

Some great songs you covered, ToddMC. Wish you hadn't cut Raining Blood short, but the Self Bias Resistor cover was real good, always nice to see people using the same technique I do (heel-toe).

Always feel e-drummers have it tougher doing covers. acoustic drums seem to mask so many errors in a way that a midi note being triggered cannot. Just the way midi is so unforgiving in a way the acoustic instrument is not. And I'd challenge any guy that says this is not so to try and trigger on an e-drum and prove me wrong.

Anon_la_Ply, that was sick and very tasteful at the same time. That's you playing? The recording is superb, can really feel those drums and the chaotic abandon appeals to me! That jazz!

The War is My Shepherd cover is kick ass too!

That's you playing? The recording is superb, can really feel those drums and the chaotic abandon appeals to me!

Yup, it's all me ... definitely chaotic! Ta for the feedback to the Aussie contingent :)

It's a surprisingly good sound for just an H2 Zoom. My lounge room has an attractive acoustic (and the Gurus help) so the recordings can scrub up well with a bit of EQ and 'verb.

One thing that pops up a lot in these conversations that bugs me a bit is the 'either or' attitude.

If you're fast you're not groovy, if you can't play super fast then you're a groovy player... It's almost like a way for those who can't reach those inhuman speeds to look down on those who can by saying they are more of a real drummer.

Me, I'm a lazy drummer, I won't be breaking any records so... I must be a groove drummer.

I've seen plenty of super fast drummers with grooves to die for. Some people have both, it really can happen!

Deadly stuff, Mr IP and Todd.

I normally only move this fast when food or a cone is on offer ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LdSl75BAeU

I'm guessing that I rank about 14,629th for speed at the forum - though that's probably big-noting ;)
Some thrashing jazz for sure there Grea : ) Will probably never happen due to privacy concerns but as I've said before, an actual video of you playing would be great (perhaps while wearing a horse mask)?
Some great songs you covered, ToddMC. Wish you hadn't cut Raining Blood short, but the Self Bias Resistor cover was real good, always nice to see people using the same technique I do (heel-toe).

Always feel e-drummers have it tougher doing covers. acoustic drums seem to mask so many errors in a way that a midi note being triggered cannot. Just the way midi is so unforgiving in a way the acoustic instrument is not. And I'd challenge any guy that says this is not so to try and trigger on an e-drum and prove me wrong.
Thanks mate- I see you've opened up the triggers hornets nest again. Amazes me in this day and age how some drummers still think they play the drums FOR you (and yeah- shouldn't have been so lazy with Raining Blood) : )

Thanks mate- I see you've opened up the triggers hornets nest again. Amazes me in this day and age how some drummers still think they play the drums FOR you (and yeah- shouldn't have been so lazy with Raining Blood) : )

Triggers definitely have a place in metal drumming, it's just to make sure your audience can hear each note at superhuman speeds.

There are other schools of thought, like Dave Lombardo pointing out that he just mics his kick and everything can be heard.

He IS the godfather of double bass and my favourite drummer. But the speeds being played nowadays wouldn't be audible without triggers, imho.

Mate, how do you find the Gen16's play- better or worse than rubber pads (and how is the noise factor)?
(BTW- no sound card in my new work computer otherwise would have listened to soundcloud)

Mate, how do you find the Gen16's play- better or worse than rubber pads (and how is the noise factor)?
(BTW- no sound card in my new work computer otherwise would have listened to soundcloud)

They definitely feel better. I remember going from my electric kit to an acoustic kit and it was so difficult making the transition to brass cymbals, primarily because of the way they react to sticking.

The hi-hat is the high point of the entire Gen16 set, just sounds better and works more naturally than any other hi-hat out there. There are guys on the v-drums forums that have replaced all their rubber cymbals with Gen 16s because it feels real good.

Acoustically, too, the Gen 16s sound great. Strike a cymbal and listen to it resonate. Very different from a rubber pad, which you strike and them hear the note decay artificially.

The Gen 16s are louder than any other part on my e-kit. Strike them and they ring. But if you notice the design, all those holes actually deaden the sound to a great extent. So I'm able to play them in my house without worrying about the noise being "excessive".

EDIT: Forgot to add and it's a big omission. On the electronics side of things, there are some issues with the Gen 16s. The old microphone design system is really sensitive, so I find they even pick up sounds like stick clicks and maybe even sounds like the A/C, or something. Zildjian has since come out with a newer micing system, something they call direct source, which is surface mounted to the cymbals. I've heard some very positive reviews about them, but unfortunately, the company did not make the trade-in programme (old mics for new ones + $) available in my country like they did the US. I did have a cymbal crack though and after I sent it to Zildjian HQ in the US, they sent me a new one and also drilled a larger hole in my lower hi-hat cymbal so that I could upgrade to the newer system. The cymbals themselves are nice, but it would be excellent if some of the electronics aspects could be sorted out. Hi-hats sound great even with the old pickups. You can tweak the sound of individual cymbals using software, so that's another plus point. There is talk of making the cymbals midi-compatible in future, so that you could trigger something like Zildjian's cymbal packs. Don't know when that would happen, if at all. There is a guy called J-Man that is doing that already, mind you.

Last edited:
Back