POLL: During what decade was the best music produced?

I'd have to go with my teen years too, with the notable exception of Toto, who somehow continued to produce stunning albums up until their breakup in 2010. All that said, I'm being exposed to great music these days too. You just have to dig deeper, because it's no longer promoted commercially.

If we're stuck to calendar decades, then the 60's for sure. Otherwise, I'm going with '65-'75. (And that pre-dates my teenage years.)

Are you sure about that Larry...

The Beatles lifespan... 1962 - 1970 :)

I appreciate the attention to detail! I was just generalizing, but yeah one could go back to the Silver Beetles, that fateful June 1957 day when Paul met John at a church fair, or Feb 9, 1964 when they landed in the U.S. Oh I am crazy about the trivia (but sadly can't make a living from it). But ok 1963-1973 then, which would include their first album With the Beatles in 1963 in the UK and Introducing the Beatles in the U.S. in 1963 on the Vee Jay label.

Help I can't stop..!!!!!

1966 - 1975 for me. The amount of creative breakthroughs that came out of that time - in pop, rock, prog, jazz and fusion - has never come close to being repeated in my lifetime.

It was a great period for music - a time when music was the most popular entertainment, and it is now very much behind movies, reality video and gaming. It now mostly occupies a utility role - dance and background. So it goes.
I've always said the music between 1965-1975 was the most influenced & creative music so I guess were not pretty far off...lol

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Probably my favorite 10-year period would be about 1955-1965, but if I have to pick an actual decade, I'd say the 1960s. All those great Blue Note dates, the Coltrane Quartet, the 2nd Miles Quintet, free jazz, fusion, and the British Invasion bands.

I've always said the music between 1965-1975 was the most influenced & creative music so I guess were not pretty far off...lol

You have 11 years there, Bonz ... but who's counting?

Probably my favorite 10-year period would be about 1955-1965, but if I have to pick an actual decade, I'd say the 1960s. All those great Blue Note dates, the Coltrane Quartet, the 2nd Miles Quintet, free jazz, fusion, and the British Invasion bands.

That's the bit that got me thinking - some of the best jazz was in the late 50s. I only moved forward 10 years because so much pop was dire (to my ears) back then.and I was never much interested on early RnR like Elvis, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, early Beatles etc that Rolling Stones journalists decided must be adhered to with no deviations (Ya Vol, hipster music journalists)!

1966 - 1975 for me. The amount of creative breakthroughs that came out of that time - in pop, rock, prog, jazz and fusion - has never come close to being repeated in my lifetime.

It was a great period for music - a time when music was the most popular entertainment, and it is now very much behind movies, reality video and gaming. It now mostly occupies a utility role - dance and background. So it goes.

Just stretch it out to 1964 thru 1976, and amount of creative breakthroughs that came out of that time - in pop, rock, prog, jazz and fusion - will never come close to being repeated in anyone's lifetime.

Just stretch it out to 1964 thru 1976, and amount of creative breakthroughs that came out of that time - in pop, rock, prog, jazz and fusion - will never come close to being repeated in anyone's lifetime.

DED, I was tempted to quote this on the "Are drummers crazy" thread. Your stretching of a decade is almost as wild and rebellious as ToddMc's intransigence!

attachment.php

I agree that the creativity, which I guess spreads from the late 50s to the late 70s was rare and maybe unique. People were so into music back then. They'd buy records, soak up the images and info on the covers, turn off the lights and devote time purely to listening. The musicians were meanwhile trying to extend and expand themselves as musicians (and as human beings, usually) and they stretched the boundaries of whatever genres they played.

People are just not that into music now, and they haven't been for a long time. They still like it, but not to give it 100% attention, which they reserve for more interactive pastimes.

During what decade was the music you enjoy the most produced? I have to say I like 70's music best. Yes, Neil Young, Springsteen, Zeppelin, Dylan... what do you think? What decade produced the music you like the most?

If an admin could make this thread into a real poll with voting and stuff, that'd be fantastic.

The 60s and 70s were my formative years. But I liked the 80s, and slowly started to lose touch with the 90s, and haven't really heard anything cool since. But the stuff Adrian Belew is doing with his new Power Trio I thought was fantastic. But at the same time, the jazz I grew up on came from the 20s to now as well. I guess the last 90 decades would cover it for me ;)

DED, I was tempted to quote this on the "Are drummers crazy" thread. Your stretching of a decade is almost as wild and rebellious as ToddMc's intransigence!

I thought it was clear I was no longer referring to a singular decade, but a longer period of time, so as to add discussion to the point you already made.

Mostly just trying to squeeze the first Beatles and The Who albums into the beginning portion, and a certain Canadian album into the latter portion. :p

Wow, I was going to say that I don't really have a favorite decade. It's easy to say that the music from this decade or that decade was completely void of meaningful content, but I can always unearth something from about any era that makes me go, "They don't make 'em like that anymore."

But since I was a tween, and with the exception of The Beatles, I never cared from almost anything from the '60s. How weird is that? Even when all my friends were into The Doors, Stones, The Who, Hendrix, Janis, and on and on, I was always feeling like I was missing something because I never liked the way any of that sounded. Like the whole vibe wasn't quite sitting with me well.

It wasn't until the '70s when rock players began to emerge that were rock players from birth and the swing began to fade that I really started to get interested.

That's like asking me to pick my favorite child. Not possible.

I love the Jazz music from the 20's to today.

I happen to enjoy the Rock from early 70's - early 80's, but doesn't mean it's better. It's what I'm familiar with.

.... My era, if you want to call it that, was the Soul Era! Mercy, how I loved that music. Man, do I miss it. Oh my.

I feel your pain. Even though a lot of it was formulaic and didn't push the boundaries of creativity, it still tugs at the emotions.

i like a lot of everything, 70s, 80s...but I absolutely despised grunge, so the 90s were a depressing time for me, musically. i thought i had turned into one of those 'music isnt music nowadays' people. then, thankfully, grunge died and from the early 2000s on i started hearing z lot of new stuff i liked again, and that continues to now. theres nothing worse then never discovering new music.

Back