POLL: During what decade was the best music produced?

Swexx

During what decade was the music you enjoy the most produced? I have to say I like 70's music best. Yes, Neil Young, Springsteen, Zeppelin, Dylan... what do you think? What decade produced the music you like the most?

If an admin could make this thread into a real poll with voting and stuff, that'd be fantastic.

If you don't say 60s, then you discount all of the Beatles work.

Anytime this type of question comes up in any forum or conversation, I tend to gravitate to saying the 1960's.

And then the 1980's second (my teenage years).

But then again, so much good stuff came out in the 70's. I think I tend to under value the 70's in my head.

1966 - 1975 for me. The amount of creative breakthroughs that came out of that time - in pop, rock, prog, jazz and fusion - has never come close to being repeated in my lifetime.

It was a great period for music - a time when music was the most popular entertainment, and it is now very much behind movies, reality video and gaming. It now mostly occupies a utility role - dance and background. So it goes.

For me it has to be the 70 s if for nothing else than the diversity of good stuff that came out of that decade. From the singer songwriter era to the hard rock to the funk...that decade just seemed to have it all.

I have Sirius XM in my car and I love listening to the 70's station sometimes because you might hear The Carpenters, Led Zep and Earth Wind and Fire all back to back to back without batting an eye. I love 80's music (my teenage years) but even I'll admit that after a while...it all seems to sound the same. I don't get that with the 70's.

Pre - 1950's - Blues, Jazz, Folk

1950's - Rock-a-Billy, Elvis, some Surfin' music

1st half of 1960's - Motown

2nd half of 1960's - Beatles, Stones, and the rest of the British Invasion

1970's - Most of the rest of the Really Good Stuff

Early 1980's - Last of the good stuff before music died somewhere between 1982 and 1984

Well - not completely dead, but the gems are few and far between

70's, followed by the 60's, and next was the 80's. Did you follow that? lol

Which decades the best music was produced? ... easy, the music I played for the last 4 decades :)

There's always exceptions to the rule but I think for people in general (not just drummers), this post rings true.

I guess I'm an exception to the rule, I'm 17 but I listen to music mainly from the 70's and 80's :)

1966 - 1975 for me. The amount of creative breakthroughs that came out of that time - in pop, rock, prog, jazz and fusion - has never come close to being repeated in my lifetime.

It was a great period for music - a time when music was the most popular entertainment, and it is now very much behind movies, reality video and gaming. It now mostly occupies a utility role - dance and background. So it goes.

I have to agree with you on this one.

I have to agree with you on this one.

I was close to saying the 1960s because there was some incredible jazz in the late 50s and early 60s, but the rock and pop weren't nearly as interesting as in the early 70s. By around the mid 70s the music started becoming a goofy parody of itself and opened things up for disco and punk.

No doubt about it. It was the 1960s. Here's the music I heard on the radio, the music I copied to learn to play drums:

Booker T and the MGs
Otis Redding
Sam and Dave
Aretha Franklin
Wilson Picket
The Supremes
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Joe Tex
James Brown
The Temptations

On and on the list can go. This was what I was hearing on the radio before the British invasion. My era, if you want to call it that, was the Soul Era! Mercy, how I loved that music. Man, do I miss it. Oh my.

Late 60's & 70's Hendrix, Deep Purple, Grand Funk, and yes even the Beatles. However, those were my magical teen yrs.

That would've probably been my reply until just a couple of years ago, and I think that still rings true, as far as what you'll hear/heard on the radio...however, I have found that there are so many people making such a wide variety of music nowadays,that it's hard (if you're really digging) not to find stuff that's come out in the last decade that's really just as good as any music I've ever listened to.

If we're talking about the originality of the artist(s), however, and their subsequent effect on generations of musicians, and the entire musical "movement" of a decade, I'll have to stick with Pollyanna's anagram....

That's a perfect 10 year span there. Beatles through mid 1970s. That covers British Invasion, Beach Boys, psychedelic, Woodstock, Jesus Rock, singer-songwriter, Led Zep, fusion and Steve Gadd, etc.,etc.

Back