The Bonham set thread

toolskid said:
This may interest you, but this is one of Bonham's actual spiral vistalites that was hired for a session I was on! The floor tom was 20x18!!!!!!

got anymore pics...id love to see this set some more up close

Bonham3.JPG

themac5150 said:
I also have the strips on the batter and resonant side. Both heads are tuned way up, mine are probably tuned closer to each other than "Bonham's" tuning. I don't have the coated heads, but I like the batter very firm. Nice tone to it, and still sounds HUGE! When I wear out the Ludwig heads I'll try the coated 2 ply/1 ply combo and see how that goes.

with the batter pretty tight, do you get enough "slap" to cut through and get a little bit of punchiness?

themac5150 said:
I also have the strips on the batter and resonant side. Both heads are tuned way up, mine are probably tuned closer to each other than "Bonham's" tuning. I don't have the coated heads, but I like the batter very firm. Nice tone to it, and still sounds HUGE! When I wear out the Ludwig heads I'll try the coated 2 ply/1 ply combo and see how that goes.

how do you tune it up real high with the felt causing a "boxy" sound? i have a 14x24 rogers and it seems to only like medium to medium-low tuning. (approximately 1/2 to 3/4 turn on the batter lugs, 1 full turn on the reso.) it always loses it's fullness and gets real dry and dead if i go higher. is it the tension of the felt or what? approximately how many full turns of the tension rods do you go on both heads?

thanks.

rogers_68 said:
how do you tune it up real high with the felt causing a "boxy" sound? i have a 14x24 rogers and it seems to only like medium to medium-low tuning. (approximately 1/2 to 3/4 turn on the batter lugs, 1 full turn on the reso.) it always loses it's fullness and gets real dry and dead if i go higher. is it the tension of the felt or what? approximately how many full turns of the tension rods do you go on both heads?

thanks.
its not boxy, its boomy. My heads are pretty tight, around 83 on the drum dial

toolskid said:
This may interest you, but this is one of Bonham's actual spiral vistalites that was hired for a session I was on! The floor tom was 20x18!!!!!!

Nice, from Harris Hire? Mick Fleetwood formerly owned that kit. Bonzo sold it for a fiver to a buddy.

Shawnathen said:
k, I just registered for the drummerworld discussion forum and I have a few questions I hope to have answered eventually.

QUESTION #1
Does anyone else have the setup where they have 2 floortoms? Because when I put I have two floortoms on my set, John Bonham Style. It just makes it more strenous and hard to turn my body all the way toward my the last floor tom.

QUESTION #2
What personally do you guys think sounds better? New Beat or Quick Beat? I have a Quick Beat.

QUESTION #3
What is the difference between all the different wood types that drumsets are made out of? I have Maple.

QUESTION #4
Can anyone really do what John Bonham does on "Moby dick" with one pedal? and Who can? Cause I have been working on it and I can only partially do the double pedal sound with one pedal thing. I do a weird heel-toe action...

That is all for now, But if any of you could answer any of my questions I would greatly appreciate it.

My dads friend mitch had a bohnam set and he could play moby dick in highschool single pedal so that ansewrs one of your questions

The Ploughman said:
Nice pics.

Not Bonham sized....... at 14x24, 9x13, 16x16, 16x18, but ........they do nicely.

Thats a really nice set. With the wood finished bass hoops and the silver finish, it looks very similar to the Gretsch Catalina Club Rock Kit

The Ploughman said:
Nice pics.

Not Bonham sized....... at 14x24, 9x13, 16x16, 16x18, but ........they do nicely.

I love the Big R kits. What year is it. You are a lucky dude.

My Rogers Big R, Silver Metallic are from 1977. Purchased new in Nov. 1977, bought by me from the original owner in Nov. 1979. I still have them. Still play them out. The other set in the pic is a Dayton virgin 20" bass, that I rescued from a horribly botched recover, and recovered in untouched Rogers 1977 Silver Metallic. That set is 20-12-16. I am using DW cymbal stands and Tama Iron Cobra Pedals.

Very nice Rogers kit. I love the finish, it brings back memories. I remember that finish was pretty popular in the late seventies and early eighties. I always liked Rogers drums, very well made and a great sound.

Back