Ludwig p-86

Budiesel

How reliable is this throw off? I need to replace the p85 on my ludwig black beauty, and would like to stick with ludwig for it. But, I've read from some people it breaks after 6 months or so. Thoughts on p86 or any other suggestions would be great

It's gotta be better than the P-85. The design looks much better and simpler. I'll probably do the same thing. It doesn't seem fair to have to spend more money for something that should just work. It''s like having to buy a new gas pedal in your new car. It's ridiculous. I wish I knew why Ludwig will not replace the P-85.Apparently they have no desire to improve their products.Their snares are not cheap but they continue to use this P-85 garbage designed in 1921. Maybe they like selling the P-86 as the only Ludwig option. People at Ludwig have to know by now that they have the worst throw-off on the market and it doesn't seem to be an issue. I guess they just don't care or the problem would have been rectified by now in 2014. I've had 4 Ludwig snares over the years and all of the P-85s got stuck. Good luck with your upgrade.

I ordered my P-86 with my Black Beauty snare last year and I love it. Smooth, looks great and no problems at all. I highly recommend it.

Yeah the 85 is a total piece of crap mine gets stuck alot. The strainer on an original Pearl Sensitone (supraphonic knock-off) that I bought ages ago has a great looking and working strainer extremly well made. I agree I guess people haven't bitched enough about it over the years and are just happier than hell to just own a Ludwig snare drum. This actually is something I've thought about over the years, obviously Ludwig really doesn't care.

I haven't had any issues with the 9 P-86's on my snares. Love it.

Started putting them on/ordering them when it came out--however many years ago now.
I liked how they looked first off, when it worked great, I wanted them all the same so I bought a few for what I had at the time.
Didn't have any issues with my P-85's though.

I DO have a loosening problem with the strainer no one else has issues with though, so go figure.

New guy here alert. (34 years playing)

The P86 is perfectly fine and a great upgrade. I had it on my BB for 7 years without issue and the custom maple snare I'm using has one as well. It may not be as slick as some others on the market but it works great. Plus, you know it will fit.

Mine rattles, it's the tab that you flip up and down. I like the design though.

Back