Pad Size - How much of an impact?

theoak

( My first post! Be nice ;) )

Okay ... forgive me ... completely completely completely new to the drumming world.

Oh ... just to let you know, I am completely new to the drumming world.

;)

A little background. I am a father of 5 kids, my older two 10 and 11 have been playing piano now for about 5 years. My mother had a late 90's Yamaha Clavinova digital piano that I hijacked and used for the first 3 or 4 years. Actually, I still use it. My oldest however started playing songs where the notes needed to be held for several measures (8+ beats) that my older Clavinova simply could not hold. So our piano teacher said we need a new piano. To her shock ... I purchased another new 2009/10 CLP-340 (I think) Clavinova.

Now ... I am a fan of the digital pianos simply due to the fact that my kids can plug in their head phones, and I don't hear a thing. My younger kids can nap, and family life can in short resume without the piano drowning everything else out. Surprisingly even with the headphones on, the piano can still be heard as those kids can still pound and thump on those keys and foot pedals depending on how expressive the song may be.

However, after trying the 340 out, the piano teacher could not praise it enough. One day, I may eventually have to bite the bullet and get an acoustic piano ... for now though, I am totally fine with the digital.

I now have a child getting into drums. Right now he is in the "trial" phase and just has a drum pad to master his accuracy and hand positioning. His birthday is in a few months, so assuming the "trial" phase works out, I will be purchasing a drum kit. As mentioned above, I am a fan of the "electronic" versions because I can still have a "quiet" home at the end of the day.

For better or for worse, I have always ended up back to the Yamaha "brand" and so I am looking at the DTX series. I have noticed the Roland TD-4/11/15 kits too and are sitting around my price range. My impression though that I have been able to Google is that folks seem to feel that the new Yamaha pads are more "realistic" (versus the Roland being too bouncy) and the Yamaha in general sounds better than the Roland (real sound samples versus modeled). I get this is a personal taste thing too.

Finally my question:

Some models DTX535 for example offer the 10 inch pad. Others, like the DTX560, offer the 8 inch pads.

What does that two inches get me?

My apologies for the long post. Any other tips and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your patience.

theoak; said:
Finally my question:
What does that two inches get me?.

Well that's a loaded question...lol..

two inch larger playing surface...how's that for an answer...seriously though, both pads I believe are three zone, so no difference there...I believe the 10" pad has a knob control on the top of pad...so that's a bonus..other than that pretty equal IMO..

there is the cool factor...a 10" probably looks cooler than an 8" pad...there ya go...

Well that's a loaded question...lol..

two inch larger playing surface...how's that for an answer...seriously though, both pads I believe are three zone, so no difference there...I believe the 10" pad has a knob control on the top of pad...so that's a bonus..other than that pretty equal IMO..

there is the cool factor...a 10" probably looks cooler than an 8" pad...there ya go...

Ya ... I was asking for that :)

Should have maybe rewording that question a bit ;)

Okay ... that is was I was hoping. Yes, I believe both are 3 zone, other then obviously the zones on the 10 inch would be larger and hence a bit more forgiving for a beginner I suppose.

( My first post! Be nice ;) )

Finally my question:

Some models DTX535 for example offer the 10 inch pad. Others, like the DTX560, offer the 8 inch pads.

What does that two inches get me?

My apologies for the long post. Any other tips and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your patience.

I recently bought the DTX535K. The larger ten inch snare is something I highly recommend. You don't really need to spend big on the single-zone 8" silicone toms of the 560 and end up with a smaller snare and ride., the 8" rubber toms are fine. The 15" ride of the DTX535K is also great if you ride a lot, as in play jazz.

Last edited:
As far as the Roland kits being too bouncy, you can easily adjust the pad tension using the lugs position around the pad, so that shouldn't be much of an issue, unless you are just buying a rubber pad kit, which I wouldn't recommend.

Sorry for hijacking the original post... but does anyone know the if there is a size diff in pads between the Yamaha DTXplorer & Yamaha DTX500 ?

Sorry for hijacking the original post... but does anyone know the if there is a size diff in pads between the Yamaha DTXplorer & Yamaha DTX500 ?

I think that only the module was changed/improved. I like yamaha's TP65 8 inch rubber pads. They are not hard, not loud, and don't cause fatigue like other manufacturers rubber pads. You don't need to pay big bucks for the silicone toms, but for a snare, you should consider an upgrade to the XP100SD

Awesome feedback folks. Thank you very much.

A follow up question.

Going to Kraft Music ... they have videos of the Yamaha guy playing a DTX560K and a DTX700K.

In the 700 video he talks about the cymbals and how you can "mute" them. Essentially pinch it with your fingers and the sound stops. He does not mention that in the 560 video.

Also, in the 700 video he demos the 10 inch snare and how you can dynamically change the sound with the turning knob it has on the side. *I assume if you have that same pad on the 500 module, the same functionality would exist?

Does the module (500, 700, 900) limit what an individual item in the kit can do? For example, as in the 700 video, mute is allowed, but if I had the same on the 500 module, would mute still be allowed? I am thinking yes.

From what I can tell the main differences between the modules (500 vs 700 vs 900) are: more sounds, more memory, sampling, effects. The instruments themselves and how they behave however are NOT impacted across modules. Am I right?

Feedback here would be great.

EDIT:

So I think I figured out the cymbal question as in reading the descriptions on the 500 series, it states the muting feature.

So I think it is pretty safe to assume that a given module does not limit a pad's or cymbal's functionality.

Last edited:
Awesome feedback folks. Thank you very much.

So I think it is pretty safe to assume that a given module does not limit a pad's or cymbal's functionality.

Yes the basic DTX500 takes triple-zone cymbal and drum pads. It does many of the basic things that the 700 and 900 do. I think it is a very good module with excellent sounds. Just be careful to future proof, as in if you have an ambition to add extra toms and extra cymbals, the 500 does not have enough inputs for a big kit.

The DTX700K kit really tempts me. I am looking at $2.5K (+-) that I am not sure I want to drop though. Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions.

Yes the basic DTX500 takes triple-zone cymbal and drum pads. It does many of the basic things that the 700 and 900 do. I think it is a very good module with excellent sounds. Just be careful to future proof, as in if you have an ambition to add extra toms and extra cymbals, the 500 does not have enough inputs for a big kit.

Going to Yamaha's site I found the "Pad / Module Compatibility Table' PDF.

The DTX 500 does support the 3 voices on the cymbals ... but does NOT support the "mute technique". You need to jump up the 700 for that.

This PDF is quite enlightening.

Essentially the 500 has 3 three voice inputs. The 3 toms and the kick are dual mono. The HiHat is 2.

The 700 has 9 three voice inputs, with the dual mono kick.

The 900 has 13 three voice inputs with the dual mono kick.

I don't know ... maybe I am reading things wrong, but you seem to get the most bang for your buck with the 700 module.

Back