Gavin Harrison here!

wow this is a really really popular thread here. whats up gavin? heard circles and i thought it was epic! The changing time signatures and occasionaly abstract rythyms are great. sure you dont have a giant kit like mike portnoy, but you dont need one. heck, you are there to make music, not to make people's mouths water when they see a huge kit. Is Sonor a really good drum line? im interested in purchasing a new kit

Hi tommorello

I have been wondering at what point in your drumming career did you start to explore rhythms beyond the conventions of 'western' time-keeping? I mean, did you start out with something like that in mind, or was there something that made you think differently about your approach to the beat/groove in the course of your learning curve?

I guess I really started getting into it when I was about 19 years old. I had lessons when I was younger and I knew how to read and transcribe (to a degree). I got an audition with a band called Renaissance and they sent me some tapes to learn before the audition. I carefully charted out all the odd time signatures (of which there were many) and luckily got the job. I was listening to "Joe's Garage" (by Frank Zappa) and my ears were becoming accustomed to the sound of unusual time signatures. I went to New York and found the Frank Zappa Guitar Book (by Steve Vai) and I saw rhythmical notation in there I hadn't even dreamt of. I also bought the Gary Chaffee books (Patterns 1, 2, & 3 ) and got fascinated with odd subdivisions (quintuplets, septuplets etc). I suppose from that point I always had an interest in 'thinking outside the box' rhythmically.

Hi Kalma

one question about your precise playing.
How long did you need to get the fear of a blank planet fill at 5:01 sound as it sounds?
Did you do some tricks on sound to let it sound so amazing?

I think I got it down in a couple of takes - there's no 'sound' tricks - that's what it sounded like when I played it.

Hi Marcos

A couple of days I wrote to you asking about sonor amboina artist snare drum. I found little information on internet about the sound of this drum. I want buy one but I‘m not shure if this is the best snare for me. Do you have some record using this drum?

I haven't used this drum on a recording yet. You probably need to try it to decide if it's the right drum for you.

Hi ItalianRicky

14"x5" birch 6 ply.The shell is the same as the old recording custom snares, with the internal ply laquered in black for better focused sound.power hoops. the main difference is that this snare drum haven't the "super sensitive" snare strainer system, but a normal snare strainer, with tension screw on both sides. You'll probably know this kind of snare better than me, what you can suggest me to obtain a good pop sound?head, snare wire, tuning...all be welcome.

I can only tell you what setup I have used on my drum - all drums are slightly different even if they are the same make/size/model - such is the nature of real wood. My drum has rounded bearing edges (like Gretsch) I use Coated Pinstripe or Coated C.S on the top - and ambassador on the snare side. 8 strand Puresound snare wires and an S-Hoop on the top. Don't expect it to sound exactly the same as mine does on some record - there's a lot of other factors (mics/eq/reverb/room/mix/mastering and the way that I hit it). Good luck with it.

Hi chongzilla

He has some issues like taking a ton of time tuning on stage and switching effects ontime. These things I think are fixable. Going into the studio I've come to realize that he can't play to a click. The bassist who is normally covered up in normal practice times is also not able to play with a click track. On top of that he seems to have skipped over some of the bassics because he's self-taught. What do I do?

the short answer - buy a gun!!!

He needs to go back to the beginning and have some lessons. Learning to read rhythmic notation can sometimes help people understand how it works. It seems like he trying to just do it by ear - but without the understanding. Understanding is the most important part - but that still doesn't mean that he'd be able to play it accurately. He obviously doesn't hear where he's going wrong - so it will be very frustrating for him having you tell him that it's wrong - and might feel it's a bit demeaning you suggesting that he needs to go back to basics and have lessons. In which case go back to the short answer above.

Hi Tryx_With_Some_Styx

Is Sonor a really good drum line? im interested in purchasing a new kit

They are great drums - I'm very happy with them.

cheers
Gavin

Hi

I was wondering what time signatures the new song "Scar" contains? The chorus sounds interesting.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I guess I really started getting into it when I was about 19 years old. I had lessons when I was younger and I knew how to read and transcribe (to a degree). I got an audition with a band called Renaissance and they sent me some tapes to learn before the audition. I carefully charted out all the odd time signatures (of which there were many) and luckily got the job. I was listening to "Joe's Garage" (by Frank Zappa) and my ears were becoming accustomed to the sound of unusual time signatures. I went to New York and found the Frank Zappa Guitar Book (by Steve Vai) and I saw rhythmical notation in there I hadn't even dreamt of.
Haha yeah Zappa can do some stuff no one even wants to see/hear. I recently saw the sheet music to The Black Page; one would think Zappa was actively trying to scare people away with that stuff... Oh, and as for Joe's Garage... Keep It Greasy?

Can't read music myself, not unless it's a right handed piano transcription of Mary Had A Little Lamb. My drum teacher, with whom I had lessons for three years only taught me how to love the drums and treat them well. I'm totally thankful for that, because if he had taught me how to read sheet music, I probably would not have stuck by it at all. I've only been able to play stuff if I can see or hear it done clearly (that's why I got your Rhythmic Visions+Horizons DVDs, and not the books). Like a pattern in 7/8 I think it is, I learned to play that by listening to a lot of Deliverance by Opeth. There's another one of my favourites, Martin Lopez, and it's a bloody shame he left Opeth. Obviously you work with Steven Wilson quite often; did you ever get the chance to meet Lopez? I understand Steven produced a few Opeth records and if it were my bandmate working with Martin Lopez I wouldn't think twice about running over there and checking out how he lays down the Ghost Of Perdition or something!

Oh and kudos on Circles. I'd say Unsettled from Drop still has my favourite drumming on it, but the overall work on Circles is an improvement I think.

Hello. Ive been drumming for about 2 and a half years now and your playing has been a big influence on me. When I found you actually posted on here I was excited to get some advice from someone of your talent.

1. What would you consider the most difficult Porcupine Tree song to date(could be off the new album)?
2. Do you have any tips on time keeping? It seems I can only get so far with a metronome. Is it one of those things that just happens over time as you practice more?
3. Do you play more than one instrument? Do you think learning to play bass or guitar could help a drummer develop musically? I think I phrased that weird but I think the basic idea is there. I say this because im debating buying a bass or guitar to play at night because my neighbors get mad when I play past about 7pm here.

I might see Porcupine Tree in Philadelphia in September at the Electric Factory(I think). I don't know if Im working that night or not yet.
Thanks in advance. And another thank you for all the great music!

Last edited:
Hi Gavin!

Just wanted to know something... I received the download code to "Time Flies (Edit)" and there's no kick drum... is that right?!?

If so, you just BLEW MY MIND! That would be the ultimate risk at trying something different on a song... "Hey, let's play it without any bass drum!"

If not, I think Steven needs to make a little recall =)

Top notch song, great to see you guys expanding even more your sound on this new album! Congratulations and all the best!

Heitor.

Hey Gavin,
Thanks for the reply! I got my bassist to agree to go take lessons. Or atleast he has the intention. Following through on such things sometimes doesn't happen so time will tell! haha, otherwise your plan A will go into effect! haha

I just taught my guitarist how to play the most basic rhythm for a pattern of 7/8, 7/8, and then 6/8 (1-3-5-- 1-3-5-- 1--4--). I'm basically tricking him into that so that I can play a guitar riff over that that is 4 bars of 5/8. Plus if I teach him alternating time signatures he'll think 7/8 by itself is easier! haha

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my questions.
-Stan

Hey Fox622003,
Thanks for your input also. I'm glad you responded too. I'm trying to see what people think to help me decide for myself what to do. I've had responses like "fire the guitarist and bassist and keep the singer." to "Leave and find people that are just as progressive minded as you." to "Give them lessons/have them take lessons." to "Quit that band and move to California!" All, perfectly fine ideas. haha, I just have to figure what's best for me. It's good to hear what other musicians think. Hopefully things will get better with patience and them either learning from me or taking lessons.
Thanks,
Stan

Hi jez-

I was wondering what time signatures the new song "Scar" contains? The chorus sounds interesting.

The verse is in 11/8 (could be thought of as 3/4 + 5/8) and the chorus is in 4/4. Guitar solo section is 11/8 as well.

Hi tommorello,

yes I met Martin Lopez when Opeth and PT we're touring together around 2003.

Hi DrummerStan

1. What would you consider the most difficult Porcupine Tree song to date(could be off the new album)?

Technically speaking - the end of "What Happens Now" is quite tricky - "Futile" is another quite hard piece to play live.

2. Do you have any tips on time keeping? It seems I can only get so far with a metronome. Is it one of those things that just happens over time as you practice more?

Recording yourself and listening back to check for timing is a good thing to do. I don't really understand what you mean by "only get so far with a metronome"?

3. Do you play more than one instrument? Do you think learning to play bass or guitar could help a drummer develop musically?

I play bass, guitar and keyboards - all pretty badly - but yes I think it definitely helps my drumming.

Hi Heitor

Just wanted to know something... I received the download code to "Time Flies (Edit)" and there's no kick drum... is that right?!?

I haven't heard that particular edit - but yes there should be bass drum in there.

cheers
Gavin

Hi jez-

Recording yourself and listening back to check for timing is a good thing to do. I don't really understand what you mean by "only get so far with a metronome"?

cheers
Gavin

Sorry if it was confusing. I worded it wrong, I apologize. After rereading what I asked that part didn't make sense to me either. What I meant was are there are tricks to timekeeping other than working with a metronome and developing an internal clock so to speak?

Thank you for the replies. Im gonna look around for a means of recording my practices

Hey Gavin,
I just wanted to double check. Is this noted right or am I totally off on what I think I hear? Is it more studdered with the feet? On the Modern Drummer Festival it looks more stop and go than what I think I'm hearing. I get the hands, just alternate the right between the crash and ride. The left hand is spaced equally 6 times over the bar of 4/4. What's going on with the feet?
Thanks,
Stan

Attachments

• Anesthetize copy.jpg
    Anesthetize copy.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,852
Hi DrummerStan

What I meant was are there are tricks to timekeeping other than working with a metronome and developing an internal clock so to speak?

Ultimately you just need to listen. Open your ears and hear your playing. Can you tell if your timing sounds good/bad? speeding up/slowing down? Never give up working with that metronome - if you know how to listen - it will show you many things.

Hi chongzilla

I just wanted to double check. Is this noted right or am I totally off on what I think I hear? Is it more studdered with the feet? On the Modern Drummer Festival it looks more stop and go than what I think I'm hearing. I get the hands, just alternate the right between the crash and ride. The left hand is spaced equally 6 times over the bar of 4/4. What's going on with the feet?

You haven't got it right - it's actually very simple indeed. (We've discussed this here already quite a bit so here's a link to my transcription).

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=343578&postcount=1407

cheers
Gavin

Just had a listen to the new album medley and Time Flies. Just a quick question: on Time Flies, it sounds like there is no kick drum in the mix! Is it just really low or was it intentionally played without it?

Looking forward to the tour, maybe this is the song you rest your legs on? ;)

Just had a listen to the new album medley and Time Flies. Just a quick question: on Time Flies, it sounds like there is no kick drum in the mix! Is it just really low or was it intentionally played without it?

Looking forward to the tour, maybe this is the song you rest your legs on? ;)

Gavin already answered that, read a few posts back. :)

Hey Stoney - I noticed the same thing regarding the "Time Flies" edit - and as Gavin responded, there should be a kick in there (but it certainly does seem to be absent in the pre-order mp3 I heard.) If you go to the PT myspace page or roadrunner records you can hear the preview edit for the new album, there definitely is a kick in the mix (Time Flies included.) Either the pre-order edit was purposely mixed with no kick or it's some sort of mistake - personally, I hope that the final work has a more pronounced kick drum as it accentuates the rhythm and makes that ride and ghost strokes sound all the more tasty!

Gavin - is that a special ride that you used for "Time Flies" or is it your usual K ride? It sounds particularly shimmering, almost like a flat top.

Hi Gavin,

got a question, is this you on that clip (Sam Brown, Formel eins)?

If yes i just won ten box, my friend says no!

Besides this time flies and I cannot wait to hear the full incident and watch that tilburg dvd!
see you on tour!

cheers

Lionel from Basel

Hello Gavin, two quick questions here!
You've played countless live shows, but I've never seen extra sticks lying around, where do you keep them? I mean, you must have dropped a stick once at least somewhere between all those shows!
Also, why did you chose the black Evans EQ patch over the clear patch? because I've got to change mine and was thinking of trying the black, but not sure what the main difference is.
Alright, thanks for your time Gavin.

All the best, Fox.

Hi cygnify

is that a special ride that you used for "Time Flies" or is it your usual K ride? It sounds particularly shimmering, almost like a flat top.

Yes I think it's my K 20" ride. There's a section you haven't heard yet that features the bell of the ride quite clearly.

Hi loveporcupine

got a question, is this you on that clip (Sam Brown, Formel eins)? If yes i just won ten box, my friend says no!

The track has my drumming on it - but that's not me there with blond hair on the drumset. In fact I don't think I ever did a TV show with Sam.

Hi Fox622003

You've played countless live shows, but I've never seen extra sticks lying around, where do you keep them?

I keep them in a bag leaning against my first floor tom - and there's another couple of sticks attached to a holder on the lower part of the hi hat stand.

Also, why did you chose the black Evans EQ patch over the clear patch?

I just like the attack from the black one.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by a moderator:
Derek Roddy

Hi Gavin!
Many people ask you about double bass drum "tips". You always direct them to the Derek Roddy. Do you really think he is such a good drummer? His playing, is only about very fast single strokes!! Even when he is playing drum solo there are just few blasts! That is not something that really interest me. Of course I am far away from his speed, but even if I could play so fast,I won't use it! For me it is not what music is about.
Cheers
Tom
Sorry for any grammar mistakes
By the way,Chongzilla, in my opinion, you are not a drummer if you have a problems with playing with click. Those are basics.

Back