Gavin Harrison here!

Hi dairyairman,

i'm fascinated by the track "sentimental". it starts off with a quiet piano part that sounds like it might be in 11/4 or some combination of 5 and 6 count measures. then all of a sudden a very surprising and unexpected 4/4 drum groove starts, and the piano part is revealed to be a syncopation of that groove. that gets me every time! is that what you're talking about with your "rhythmic illusions" concept? and was any of that intro your idea?

Yes it is a quite simple "rhythmic illusion"...and, as you discovered it's all in 4/4. I came up with the quite strange drum loop in the verse and Steve played that 3 over 4 piano part to it. I suggested to isolate just the piano at the start to create that illusion for the listener.

Cheers
Gavin

ha! i *knew* you had a hand in that! nice job! that's my favorite part of the whole cd. the first time i heard it i just about fell over backwards!

2. Are you sure I slide a stick over the head? I remember doing it with my finger...and if that's what you're referring to - yes it's much easier on a coated head.

Cheers
Gavin

After going back and watching Hatesong on the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD, you are most definitely correct, you certianly do use your finger. All along I have always thought it was a stick slide. Nonetheless, it's a very unique and cool effect!

Thanks for answering my questions...I appreciate it.

Hi Gavin

Can I ask you to tell me (if you could make a chart it would be awesome) the sticking pattern of the cool toms groove (akind of jungle groove) on "Anesthetize". It a very interesting and musical groove, I like it alot. Your last album is excellent, I love your work.

Cheers & keep it up.

hi Gavin

a quick question and hope it has not been answered

in your book rythmic illusions (just got it after seeing your video - its amazing) when you play a grove which is displaced from the click are you keeping track where the 1 is in your head, or should you shout/sing the click or maybe keep the pulse with for instance the heel of your left foot (i tend to do this when learing a groove but is it something i should try and discorage because of stoping my learning curve? or is it irelevent). this technique helps me play the 16th note diplacements a lot easier.

i presume that this keeping track of the click while playing the "rythmic illusion" is the mental independence which gary chester cover in new breed.

Hi Gavin!

I think we´re all very pleased that you also answer some questions during a worldtour!
Congratulations about becoming best ProgDrummer, who else would be able to succeed the throne from Mr. Portnoy.

Just one little question. I noticed that you´re also playing a bass on your DVD. Did you have had any education in playing the bass, or is it just autodidactic learning by yourself?

Thanks an enjoy the tour!

Robert

Hey Gavin,

Just saw you and PT @ The Rams' Head in Baltimore and REALLY enjoyed the show!! Especially your playing! WOW!! You're AMAZING!! I was standing near the front, on the right-center of the stage and had a GREAT view of you and couldn't take my eyes off of
what you were doin' with that kit! You TOTALLY impressed me with such excellent chops and flawless groove!

Though I don't want to dismiss the other guys for their PRECISE performance and PERFECT timing and tone! You guys have a fantastic unit of musicians that I HOPE stay together for a LOOOOONG time!! Good Luck on the rest of the tour, Gavin!

And I'll NEVER forget the smile you gave me when you saw me give you a thumbs-up and mouth the words "You're the best"! You probably won't remember that, but I WILL!!
Thanks again, Take Care and...DO Play On! ;-)

Anyone else see Porcupine Tree Tuesday night @ The Rams' Head in Baltimore?

Wasn't Gavin AWESOME?!! Let's hear from y'all out there! Give Gavin an e-High 5! ;-)

Last edited:
Hey Gavin!

Quick question: How do you make that finger-rubbing thing on Hatesong and on Swerve Pt. 2 (on your DVD)? It can't just a simple slide on the head... There's gotta be a technique behind this, because I just can't do it!

Thanks!

Hello Gavin,

I've been a Progressive Rock fan since I attended the 1974 Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans show. Lately I've been listening to Porcupine Tree and had the chance to see the Arriving Somewhere... DVD with a friend that plays drums. I too have had a little experience in the 7th grade as the drummer in band class, and of course air drums throughout the years. Anyway your drumming style really inspired us both.

We've both been Peart fans since he joined Rush. But while my friend has always leaned toward Blues as an influence, I've leaned toward Jazz, due to the syncopated rhythms.

I recently purchased a 5 piece set of Tama RockStars and some cheap Zildjians (ZBT sheets) to get started. I've also purchased your Rhythmic Horizons DVD.

I was wondering if you could give me a few ideas on a good method of exercising, in terms of strength, timing and speed. I mean, were there any fundamental exercises you used in your earlier years as a development tool?

I'm really surprised to see you spend time here because I know you've got to be busy. ;) So no worries if you can't find the time.

Rock on!

ProgRock

P.S. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys live one of these days soon. Take Care!

Last edited:
Hi mind_drummer,
basically it's something like this. 16ths around the toms with these accents..

R l r l r r L r r l r r L r l l R l r l r r L r r l r r L R l l

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin

Can I ask you to tell me (if you could make a chart it would be awesome) the sticking pattern of the cool toms groove (akind of jungle groove) on "Anesthetize". It a very interesting and musical groove, I like it alot..

Hi mr_hayward_99

in your book rythmic illusions -when you play a grove which is displaced from the click are you keeping track where the 1 is in your head, or should you shout/sing the click or maybe keep the pulse with for instance the heel of your left foot

I always keep track of where the "1" is. Tapping your foot on the hi hat works too - especially if there's no click.

Hi Braui

I noticed that you´re also playing a bass on your DVD. Did you have had any education in playing the bass, or is it just autodidactic learning by yourself?

I didn't have any lessons - it's all things I've picked up along the way. I was inspired by the way Tony Levin plays the bass with his "finger sticks" - so I thought I'd try playing with a drum stick. It saves me getting blisters!!

Hi michael drums,

glad you enjoyed our show.

Hi Heitor

How do you make that finger-rubbing thing on Hatesong and on Swerve Pt. 2 (on your DVD)? It can't just a simple slide on the head... There's gotta be a technique behind this, because I just can't do it!

I don't really know the tune Swerve Part 2 ? - but the technique is a conga technique - if you know any conga players ask them to show. It works on friction and a very light touch.

Hi Progrock,

I was wondering if you could give me a few ideas on a good method of exercising, in terms of strength, timing and speed. I mean, were there any fundamental exercises you used in your earlier years as a development tool?

I use to practise a lot of single and double stroke rolls and paradiddle combinations on a pad to a metronome. There's lots of good snare drum exercise books out there too...but nothing can replace having a good teacher.

cheers
Gavin

Hi mind_drummer,
basically it's something like this. 16ths around the toms with these accents..

R l r l r r L r r l r r L r l l R l r l r r L r r l r r L R l l

cheers
Gavin

Thank's a lot Gavin

Now let take that into my practice sessions.

Oh ! I forgot to tell you, you're AN AWESOME DRUMMER.

Definitely on top of my "most inspirational drummer" list.

Take care & A+

Hey Gavin; excellent show in NYC on 5/19, you and PT were fantastic- I think Anesthetize was spot on perfect, it was also great hearing Mother and Child Divided and Gravity Eyelids in concert as well the other tunes that were not in your last show there back in October- great lineup. I hope you guys stay together for a while, you truly are an exceptional band. Take Care; JR

Hey Gavin nice opening gig in Glasgow mate. I have been preaching about Amplifier for a few years now..i think i mentioned them a while ago.

I was wondering what ride you used on Anesthetize?. Its lovely crystal clear. I was also wondering how you get your drags sounding so tight and dynamic if you do any specifc exercise or rudiment.

Also..i didnt realise you played with Black and Go West back in the day. Two great 80's bands. Wonderful Life used to be used by a famous Edinburgh insurance company but it had to get dropped due to bereaved benificiaries phoning up and hearing that.

Hey Gavin great show in Philly on the 23rd!

I noticed on the arriving dvd and at last nights show that it looks like you and Richard look at each other and have little inside jokes during shows, is that the case?

Also, i've seen porcupine tree 3 different times and also have the dvd and live cds going back to before you were in the band, and i like the fact that it seems like every tour has a few back catalogue songs that might not have been regulars in the setlist on previous tours. From your experience in the band does that just sort of happen or is there an effort to play older songs that might have gotten overlooked on past tours? And out of curiousity, have you ever performed ambulance chasing or the full length even less? I was pleasantly suprised to hear buying new soul during the last tour in the states and wonder if anything else from recordings gets played every now and then.

And sorry one last question... Do you know if Stevens voice was bothering him in philly? He sounded great but i was suprised by how many spots he dropped out and let wesley sing by himself. i'm sure if he has allergies its a terrible time of year for his throat.

Anyway thanks again for answering everyones questions and I hope its not turning into a chore for you!

John

Hey, Gavin. I just saw PT for the first time at the Roxy in Boston last night (spent the first half of the show on the stairs above you and Colin and the second half trying to weasle my way to the stage) and I thought that this particular venue was great. Does PT usually play such a small place when you come to New England?

A second question: I read that the fills you play are brought about from what felt right in the music at the time (spontaneity) more than some arsenal of fills. I was wondering if you at least had some favorite stickings/rudiments/polyrhythms that you like to work with (alot of your fills feel like they could be swiss army triplets [3 over 4] with some slight manipulation of the natural accent). I have a hard time comprehending the idea of creating a fill on the spot with out some sort of preperation, though this could be the lack of a jazz background that i have...

Thanks for your time,
Austin

Hi TomasHakkesBrain,

I was wondering what ride you used on Anesthetize?. Its lovely crystal clear. I was also wondering how you get your drags sounding so tight and dynamic if you do any specifc exercise or rudiment.

That ride cymbal is a late 1940's Avedis Zildjian that I got from my late drum teacher Joe Hodson. I can't think of a specific exercise regarding the drags - sorry.

Hi deadwing_007

From your experience in the band does that just sort of happen or is there an effort to play older songs that might have gotten overlooked on past tours? And out of curiousity, have you ever performed ambulance chasing or the full length even less?

We just pick songs that we like to play. There's no conscious effort to do songs that might have got overlooked. I've never performed Ambulance Chasing or the full length Even Less.

Hi ZDrums24

I just saw PT for the first time at the Roxy in Boston last night. Does PT usually play such a small place when you come to New England?

A second question: I read that the fills you play are brought about from what felt right in the music at the time (spontaneity) more than some arsenal of fills. I was wondering if you at least had some favorite stickings/rudiments/polyrhythms that you like to work with (alot of your fills feel like they could be swiss army triplets [3 over 4] with some slight manipulation of the natural accent).

Actually we played to more people in the Roxy than we did in the Berklee Performance center. Yes you are correct I do love manipulating the swiss army triplet.

cheers
Gavin

Wow, first I wanna say, you are an amazing drummer! Second, you guys played an AMAZING show on 5/23 in Philly, I'm so glad I was so close! I basically did not take my eye off of you while you played, I was in awe! Anyway, I watched your Rhythmic Visions dvd with a friend, and it made me really mad (but in a good way! lol) Your understanding of time, subdivisions, and just music in general is phenomenal! How long did it take you to get a good solid understanding of these things? Thanks for your time! -Josh

Edit: I also forgot one thing. Please tell Mr. Edwin he would be so much more awesome if he would show a little more emotion on stage :). Just kidding! Take it easy!

Last edited:
Hi Gavin, I've been a fan of your work with PT since In Absentia was out. It's just mindblowing. Just one question, do PT is ever planning to come to central america? There are tons of fans who would love too see you guys over here. :)

Best wishes...

Back