This is not a goodbye thread

well it was, but that series has finished now. I dunno if they're gonna have a new series of ashes 2 ashes or they're just gonna leave it hanging though?

I could never get into Ashes 2 Ashes, dunno why. I liked the LOM setting for the characters better. I dug LOM, and not just because I have a coat problem (whilst packing I got rid of 6 vintage leather coats and have 6 left) and they all had bitchin' coats either!

Wasn't Cracker in Manchester as well? Robbie Coltrane is great.

MFB- yes you've mentioned that to me before, under different circumstances.... We need the Cleese SatNav though, no matter what.

GB

MFB- yes you've mentioned that to me before, under different circumstances.... We need the Cleese SatNav though, no matter what.

Oh yes. You holding a map and pretending to be Cleese doesn't cut it. That is neither navigation or Cleese.

Oh yes. You holding a map and pretending to be Cleese doesn't cut it. That is neither navigation or Cleese.

Doesn't it? It's certainly not navigation, I can tell you that.

Anyway, thought I'd check in- I'm here, been since Monday. Jet lagged but extremely happy, sitting in an internet cafe in Lewisham on a hot as hell day, third in a row and no rain (something every Londoner, including MFB has made apoint of insuring that I do NOT get used to). It's going well so far, and my plane did crash like I thought it would.

So now that I'm here, I'm accepting pints....

Once again, thanks all for the well wishes and advice, and now that I'm here, I'll try to pop in as much as I can- should have me a new laptop and some internet in a few days, I hope which will make it much easier.

In closing my first post from England, I would like to do something we cannot easily do in Canada (or at least I dunno how): £

GB

Gregg, remember that pub I told you about down the road from you? Here's the full story.

I'd just finished playing, started an ironic mosh pit (of two) and then was standing by the side. I hear a creaking noise, look up and the PA Speaker (all 6x6 foot of it) came crashing down about a foot away from my head - it was resting on a subwoofer. Really stupid idea when a metal band was playing.

Funniest pub too. Holes in the wall - literally, and that's the place where I kept meeting the Babyshambles guitarist during 'slightly less coherent' phases. You have to love Lewisham.

Alright , in n out of the land of JG, MFB, and the Queen.Missed you all but caught some great dim sum at One World on Gerrad street.

I think the Coldstream guard batteures play Pearl drums if I wasnt mistaken, peering through the grills of Buckigham palace.

'Billy Elliot' at the Victoria Theatre outdid broadway. The music shops on Denmark Street sucked ( great books and vintage guitars/amps selections.. outrageously priced though ).Hank's had some very nice 1960 Strats... disinterested salespeople though........avoided Kanye in Hyde park and Madonna further west.. tried not getting run over by people headed out to Wimbledon....

Tate and National portrait galleries were deeply satisfying. What a great town y'all live in.. otr thereabouts.

Alright , in n out of the land of JG, MFB, and the Queen.Missed you all but caught some great dim sum at One World on Gerrad street.

I think the Coldstream guard batteures play Pearl drums if I wasnt mistaken, peering through the grills of Buckigham palace.

'Billy Elliot' at the Victoria Theatre outdid broadway. The music shops on Denmark Street sucked ( great books and vintage guitars/amps selections.. outrageously priced though ).Hank's had some very nice 1960 Strats... disinterested salespeople though........avoided Kanye in Hyde park and Madonna further west.. tried not getting run over by people headed out to Wimbledon....

Tate and National portrait galleries were deeply satisfying. What a great town y'all live in.. otr thereabouts.

Excuse me! I live here too. D:

Yeah the music shops on Denmark Street are a bit overpriced and the staff aren't very good. Of course maybe you're just not used to UK (esp london) prices lol.

This is one of the saddest laws I have ever heard of,
"30% of a radio stations content must be "Canadian Content" ??? Really why is that? And why did you have to make a law about it

This dumb one from Alabama,
"It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle." See above

Also there is no law in the US that says you cannot go out after dark if your under 21" If there is a college rule than thats the college not the federal, state or even municipal and you do not have to sign on with that college.

This is one of the saddest laws I have ever heard of,
"30% of a radio stations content must be "Canadian Content" ??? Really why is that? And why did you have to make a law about it

Exuse me?! What exactly do you find so sad about this law? Without it so much great talent would have never gotten the time of day. Why should an entire continent be forced to listen to the same playlist written up by the suits in LA? After all, that's what the other 70% is for.

It gives us a little independance and individuality. We've got a prospering music scene that's definately worth a look - and a listen. As a Canadian musician, I couldn't be more happy and proud to have this law on my side. It gives us a fighting chance.

If a Canadian content law is sad, what do you call your right to bare arms???

**BANG BANG YEEEHAWWW!!!!!****

Our most mis-quoted right of them all!!! Everyone forget it's a right to bare arms in an organized malitia. Not to have a 50 caliber "hunting"rifle.

I own guns, mostly to protect our norther border from a Canadian invasion. haha

Exuse me?! What exactly do you find so sad about this law? Without it so much great talent would have never gotten the time of day. Why should an entire continent be forced to listen to the same playlist written up by the suits in LA? After all, that's what the other 70% is for.

It gives us a little independance and individuality. We've got a prospering music scene that's definately worth a look - and a listen. As a Canadian musician, I couldn't be more happy and proud to have this law on my side. It gives us a fighting chance.

Weeeeeellllll, maybe I'm the wrong person to comment. But I personally always felt it was to make up for the lack of quality. The GOVERNMENT had to ENSURE that there is a certain amount of CAnCon (Canadian Content) or else it wouldn't be played at all. Why? It's just not that good, IMO. If it was, there'd be no law. If Kim Mitchell or Thom Chochrane could compete with Bob Dylan, it wouldn't have to be manditory to play 'Patio Lanterns', but it is.

I am fully aware that not everyone agrees with this and I also am aware that I moved away from that country to my other legal home, where I am now. However, I've always felt this way about CanCon, the proof is in the crap they end up playing, just because it's Canadian. The 'suits in LA' never program radio stations other than their own country's anyway. Think about it, do they care what happens in Vancouver? No. The fact is, radio people IN Canada, DO Canadian programming and always have. What Can Con has always amounted to is slotting in 'Fly By Night' and 'These Eyes' between songs that are ACTUALLY ON the charts ant the moment.

The bear arms law is like many that has just never been repealed and is used by gun toting red-necks to justify their owning a weapon (which, as has been pointed out, is rubbish). The law was from when the British were literally banging down their doors.

This is turning out to be a pretty good thread=)

GB

Some radom pics from today (but PLEASE, don't let this post derail any CaCon discussions, I'm way up for tha=)

1. Down the street from my flat
2. Behind that guy (and a bunch more like him) is Gord's house
3. What a great sign. I think I will name my next band that.
4. Mmmm, Fullers.
5. Also down the street from my flat.
6. Camden somewhere
7. Thames walk. About 2 min after this, I watched a girl eating an ice cream who tripped and literally fell face first into that ice cream. I nearly peed my pants I laughed so hard.

Maybe more pics to come. I'm no photographer, and I don't really like taking pics of post-cardy stuff, so that usually means they aren't terribly entertaining to anyone but me=)

GB

Attachments

• IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 132
Some radom pics from today (but PLEASE, don't let this post derail any CaCon discussions, I'm way up for tha=)

1. Down the street from my flat
2. Behind that guy (and a bunch more like him) is Gord's house
3. What a great sign. I think I will name my next band that.
4. Mmmm, Fullers.
5. Also down the street from my flat.
6. Camden somewhere
7. Thames walk. About 2 min after this, I watched a girl eating an ice cream who tripped and literally fell face first into that ice cream. I nearly peed my pants I laughed so hard.

Maybe more pics to come. I'm no photographer, and I don't really like taking pics of post-cardy stuff, so that usually means they aren't terribly entertaining to anyone but me=)

GB

Make sure you get a picture of my car with your stuff in it. That's worth a laugh. Today was hilarious, I literally had no space in the back.

yeah i mean if it wasn't for those laws we might never have heard of bands like nickelback and sum41. Actually... :p oj i really like some bands from canada actually.

Lovin the pics, surprisingly enough i've never actually been to downing street seen it enough on the telly though. I'll have 2 go next time i'm there.

I absolutely will. We're going to have to take them out of the boxes AT the airport, aren't we? Dammit. They should be getting shipped today, by the way. The trip home was good?

GB

Trip home was hilarious. But the roads were basically clear and I suspect because of the tennis final. It took about 7 1/2 hours, but it wasn't so bad in the end. It's amazing what NOT going on the M6 does to you - that road is just the most boring road ever.

Yeah, we might have to take stuff out of boxes. Unless you want to hire a van (expensive and difficult seeing as I'm 21 and most van hires are funny with under 25). We are both packing geniuses though, so there will be a way.

Incidentally, my car is the same as the green one half way up on the right hand side of the picture of your street.

Well I thought it was pretty obvious as to why it's sad as you can tell by some people's response but I will go ahead and try to be more specific.
It's pretty sad that you have to have it at all. If it's good enough and the people want to hear it then it will be on due to demand and not because some plitician who is worried about being to much like America forces crappy music down your throats just to try and be different, Hey but if you bought the BS then more power to ya..AY : )

The right to BEAR arms has nothing to do with a sad law in Canada and is a whole different animal and good points can be made on both sides of it if you really listen with an open mind, however I suspect this subject is against the DW forum policy so I won't say anything other than it's a right I believe in 100%.

Back