aquarian modern vintage

peggerk

Hi. I have a 2005 tama rockstar and have been using coated ambassadors on the top and clear on reso side. I like the open sound of the single ply head. I was thinking about trying medium modern vintage heads this time. Anybody use these heads on a modern drumset? How do you think the sound would compare to the ambassadors? Thanks.

A bit darker.

I've only used the MV's on snares but others have used them on toms. They sound great on the right snare.

Aquarians heads use a different type of Mylar than both Remo and Evans. When tuned at the same tension as an equivalent Remo or Evans head , the Aquarian is deeper in pitch .
The Modern Vintage heads are excellent heads (my personal favorites in fact). They do have a thicker coating than Remo Ambassadors and they do sound a little sharp sounding when first put on the set. They do play in really well and get considerably warmer and rounder sounding . Some people actually sand down the coating for brush playing. I have never found I needed to do this as I like the thicker finish for brushes.

I really like them. Very warm and tubby sounding when tuned low, and a nice singing brightness when tuned high. I use medium top and bottom on my toms; I've tried the thins and they're just a little too thin for me as a batter. The only downside is the cost and not being able to buy them in a brick and mortar.

Back