Rick Astley anyone?

Peter Cox (Go West), c'mon Pol, get with it. One of the greatest male pop voices of the 80's, and another cool money beat application http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9s9vmrJkV8&ob=av2n

Andy, I'm so out of date I don't play music less than 40 years old ... but I do remember that clip. Good pickup - Peter Cox does look a lot like RA's drummer! Great look but I normally end up with men who are more like this ...

That song link stunk BTW, right up there (ie. down there) with the initial RA link, despite the pumpin' money beat :)

Andy, I'm so out of date I don't play music less than 40 years old ... but I do remember that clip. Good pickup - Peter Cox does look a lot like RA's drummer! Great look but I normally end up with men who are more like this ...

That song link stunk BTW, right up there (ie. down there) with the initial RA link, despite the pumpin' money beat :)
Argghh, got that damn oops page broken message. I'm assuming the image wasn't exactly steamy!

It is actually appropriate that this thread is on Drummerworld. The story I have been told is Rick Astley got his break when a record company became interested in his band and came to see them play in Manchester. The A & R guy told them that he loved the band but hated the singer, and could any other member of the band sing. The drummer said he could sing and demonstrated his talent to the A & R guy. The band was then promptly forgotten and the drummer signed and groomed. Rick was the drummer for the band, which if my memory serves my right, was called FBI.

Paul

It is actually appropriate that this thread is on Drummerworld. The story I have been told is Rick Astley got his break when a record company became interested in his band and came to see them play in Manchester. The A & R guy told them that he loved the band but hated the singer, and could any other member of the band sing. The drummer said he could sing and demonstrated his talent to the A & R guy. The band was then promptly forgotten and the drummer signed and groomed. Rick was the drummer for the band, which if my memory serves my right, was called FBI.

Paul
Now that is interesting. Where did you hear that? I wonder if there's anything recorded of Rick on drums?

I got a great live video (!!) recording of Rick singing live with a load of great Muso's at a Princes trust gig sometime in the 90's... he's great - always loved the guy they called "the white-man with the black-man's voice" one of those acs that would sound great with a modern contemporary sound behind his vocal, I think.

Go Rick!!

Now that is interesting. Where did you hear that? I wonder if there's anything recorded of Rick on drums?

Its been a while but I was told that story by a guy called Tops Henderson who is Rick's manager and one of the owners of a small label under the Sony umbrella (Phonogenic). Tops was a road manager for years and is well known and well respected in the industry as a straight shooter. He has been managing Rick since the early days of his career.

Paul

I heard this on BBC breakfast a couple of months ago and remember thinking it was a really good song. Unfortunately we missed him in Hull last weekend because we were in Sheffield :(

I heard Phil Collins played drums in the early days too. They also got rid of that hack singer they had too. ;)

Oh yeah. That Peter Gabriel no-talent! :) When he left Genesis, so did I. No, I lie - I liked Trick of the Tail. It was when they finally decided to build a nest egg for old age that I lost interest ... no, I'm lying again because Abacab was a fantastic track.

No offence to Rick, who is a fine singer, but if you put "gh-" in front of his name ... :)

always liked Rick Astley's songs, I would like to know the name of the dancers of the video, SHE WANT IT DANCE WITH ME, does anyone know?

Back