Goodbye Dad...

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Some of you knows that my Dad was in hospital suffering from a lung cancer, which unfortunately, has been discovered far to late, I've been going back and forth to Switzerland since returning from the LDS, and I was able to chat a lot with my Dad and to support my Sister and her children during this difficult time.

My Dad passed away on Wednesday 14th of November, aged 84, peacefully, with love, holding hands with my Sister and I, the funeral was on Friday, over 70 persons attended the ceremony, family and friends, and I knew 90% of them.

Funerals are a strange event, even it's sad to loose those we love dearly, it's also an event where you meet old friends you haven't seen for many years, very emotional, but in a nice way.

I have been blessed to be there when both my parents went away, it takes away the regrets, you're just left with the happy memories.

My Dad's last words: "See you soon"

Hi Henri, hope you're doing well. Hoping you don't go wherever he's gone too soon, though in universal time everything is soon ...

One thing I didn't expect was how many challenges follow a father's death (in the generation when men were always breadwinners); you think that after the funeral it will all settle down but there's a lot of organising and admin and general tedious stuff.

It's great that your father could die with dignity and surrounded by family. Best possible way to go. My Dad's death wasn't nearly as nice - in a hospital ward after a gruelling lead up with medical staff doing interventions to get his heart back on track.

Take care and big hugs from the top of the world (world maps are always upside down)

Hi Henri, hope you're doing well. Hoping you don't go wherever he's gone too soon, though in universal time everything is soon ...

One thing I didn't expect was how many challenges follow a father's death (in the generation when men were always breadwinners); you think that after the funeral it will all settle down but there's a lot of organising and admin and general tedious stuff.

It's great that your father could die with dignity and surrounded by family. Best possible way to go. My Dad's death wasn't nearly as nice - in a hospital ward after a gruelling lead up with medical staff doing interventions to get his heart back on track.

Take care and big hugs from the top of the world (world maps are always upside down)

Thanks Grea, your messages were of great help, it's nice to know you're not alone during these difficult moments.

I'm planning to live until I'm 127 years old... after that age you become an as*******... and it's better to go before you reach that stage, so you'll have to put up with me until then... :)

Yes, there's still lots to do now, I will go back in December to help my Sister to deal with all the "tedious stuff".

Agreed, going away with dignity is the best way to go, and unlike your Father, my Dad was fortunate enough to die peacefully among the people he loved.

Here's a (recent) picture of my Dad before the cancer took him away from us...

Attachments

• Dad.jpg
    Dad.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 365
My heart goes out to you Henri.

You will know what an honour it is to be present at your father's passing. Although it's very difficult emotionally for everyone, it really is deeply profound and I'm glad his passing was peaceful.

I hope all is ok with you and your family, Henri. You're a stand-up guy and we're all the better for knowing you.

My sincerest sympathy, Henri. My parents have both been gone for several years and this past year I have lost two aunts and an uncle who were all dear to me. I wish many times I could still talk to them and you can. They just don't always answer back in a timely fashion.

Henri, my condolences to you and your family. It's good to know that you have some positive memories to take away from it. Hang in there, man.

Condolences my friend. It's proving to have been a tough year for several of my DW "mates" losing loved ones now. I hope the coming year brings better fortune to all.

84 years.....a fabulous knock and well worth celebrating. Will raise a glass in his honour.

My sincerest sympathy, Henri. My parents have both been gone for several years and this past year I have lost two aunts and an uncle who were all dear to me. I wish many times I could still talk to them and you can. They just don't always answer back in a timely fashion.

Zickos, I completely understand where you're coming from. I had a quite sudden bereavement this year (seems to be the fashion in 2012) and there isn't a day that goes by that I wish I couldn't talk to the man we lost.

Henri, it does get a little easier with each day. Keep looking forward and remember the good times that I'm sure you had with your Father.

I am very sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. Thank you for posting the pic, he had a wonderful smile. No words make these things better but I am glad that both you and he were surrounded by the ones you love during this difficult time.

I'm glad you are planning on sticking with us for quite while longer, although I'm thinking anything past 125 might be a tad bit greedy. But we'll put up with you :)

Hugs and positive energy headed your way. Take care and cherish the memories.

I lost my Father two years ago. My father once told me "They can never take your memories"...

Henri

my deepest condolences go out to you and your family

I lost my dad in 1996 of the very same horrible disease

be strong my brother and carry your dads memory proudly on your sleeve

Thanks Grea, your messages were of great help, it's nice to know you're not alone during these difficult moments.

I'm planning to live until I'm 127 years old... after that age you become an as*******... and it's better to go before you reach that stage, so you'll have to put up with me until then... :)

Yes, there's still lots to do now, I will go back in December to help my Sister to deal with all the "tedious stuff".

Agreed, going away with dignity is the best way to go, and unlike your Father, my Dad was fortunate enough to die peacefully among the people he loved.

Here's a (recent) picture of my Dad before the cancer took him away from us...

now that's a cool Dad. i'm sorry for your loss. be the man.

Henri, my deepest condolences go out to you and your family.

You are a class act and a good guy. It's great that you had the opportunity to be there for your dad and he knows he was loved.

Take care and hang in there, my man.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family, Henri. I'm sure he's in a much better place now. I'm glad your gathering was big - it shows how many people cared and how big a support group you all have. That's always a positive thing in my book. We had over 200 people at my house for the after funeral celebration and funerals are a funny thing. I came away from it thinking I've been spending my life trying to get away from family, only to realize that we need to see each other and be together more often.

Let me know if you need anything.

I am sorry to read about your loss. It's saddening to hear but also a real blessing to have had a great relationship. I'm sure you will hold him high in your memories and pass on his qualities to others until you meet again.

Boy, its been the year for losing parents, out here on DW.....

Just because he lived a long life doesnt make it any easier. Losing a parent is a real life marker, no matter when it happens.

Im glad, for your sake that you were there.

Henri, my deepest sympathies to you and your family,

Abe

Last edited:
Back