Lug Locks

Aleksandr

hey all, i'm considering investing in some lug locks. specifically these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/ProjectSAM-Lug-Locks-1Pack?sku=500973

anyone have any experience with these or lug locks in general? how well do they work? are they a gimmick? how many do you use?

i've never used lug locks before and was originally thinking about buying lug locks for all the tension rods on my kit (both batter and reso sides) but i have been told that they're only really necessary on the batter side, and even then only on the lugs that you frequently strike (where you typically rim shot.) still, is it worth it to outfit the entire kit with lug locks to completely prevent it from coming out of tune?

thanks!

LUG LOCKS are actually a pain and you need to remove them to tune. Can be hard on the fingers, fingers you need for drumming.

Tight screws are much better.

Last edited:
Mmm..tight screws...

I wonder if they make tightscrews for DW drums.

I believe they do, Larry.

And Les, the tightscrews are also a pain, because they are, well, tight. You can't just spin them down to finger-tight with your fingers, you have to use a drum key. Head changes take longer and require more effort.

That said, I use them on some drums and they work very well. I always seem to be able to knock the luglocks off during transport, so tightscrews it is.

I believe they do, Larry.

And Les, the tightscrews are also a pain, because they are, well, tight. You can't just spin them down to finger-tight with your fingers, you have to use a drum key. Head changes take longer and require more effort.

That said, I use them on some drums and they work very well. I always seem to be able to knock the luglocks off during transport, so tightscrews it is.

In the beginning they're tight (get a power assisted drum key), though when TIGHT SCREWS get worked on/off a few times, they lighten-up. They'll never spin off the lugs, but that's a sign of no holding power and the the main cause of de-tuning.

So if you want your rods to 'spin' off the lugs, be prepared to forever live with de-tuning.

LUG LOCKS are an idea who's time has already past. You can contact LUG LOCK
he'll cut you a deal on a boat-load of LUG LOCKS, but you'll end up using them for about a week or two, then they'll be sitting around with your other useless drum stuff.

Better to invest in his BEAT BUG more useful.

i was actually considering those tight screws as well.

my local drum builder supply shop (drum foundry) sells their own variation of them. they call them lockrods, check them out. they're considerably cheaper. i think i'll pick some up next time i make a run to DF.

thanks for the info on the lug locks, i figured they might be sort of gimmicky.

I bought some actual nuts that I thread on the rods under the rim and then tighten down against the lug's nut once the drum is dialed. It's great,nothing goes anywhere and a little wrench sits in my stick bag in case I ever need it.

I may be in the minority but I like using the Lug Locks as opposed to the Tight Screws.

I just like to change tuning too much and feel the Tight Screws would eventually be more of a pain than the Lug Locks.

Jim

I bought some actual nuts that I thread on the rods under the rim and then tighten down against the lug's nut once the drum is dialed. It's great,nothing goes anywhere and a little wrench sits in my stick bag in case I ever need it.

Really? Good luck finding 12-24 nuts at your local hardware store.

LOCK RODS easier to turn than TIGHT SCREWS?

I just like to change tuning too much and feel the Tight Screws would eventually be more of a pain than the Lug Locks.

Jim

If you change heads/tune a lot, you going to have a power assisted drum key. In any event, lug locks are more of a pain than TIGHT SCREWS imo.

Last edited:
i was actually considering those tight screws as well.

my local drum builder supply shop (drum foundry) sells their own variation of them. they call them lockrods, check them out. they're considerably cheaper. i think i'll pick some up next time i make a run to DF.

thanks for the info on the lug locks, i figured they might be sort of gimmicky.

Hey, thanks for that, Aleksandr--that's about half-price compared to tightscrews. Although tightscrews has the catchier name . . . .

Back