My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

I went over to Ghostnote and was told I should us a "square" ...which makes sense ....

Anyone else?

There are templates made for that job. There are concentric circles on the template with lug patterns for 6, 8, 10 lugs etc for the different diameter drums.

There are templates made for that job. There are concentric circles on the template with lug patterns for 6, 8, 10 lugs etc for the different diameter drums.

I was told that those templates are for 'blank' drum shells....

Good news...final hardware is about to be ordered, and the covering should be here next week!!

sloooowly but surely,...coming together!! :)

Another piece of the puzzle comes in yesterday!!

Attachments

• RSWrap.JPG
    RSWrap.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 2,242
Cost was $130 shipped, I got 10 yards just in case, plus I got the discount that way :)

Anyow....finishing the drum prep and should be putting it on soon!

Thanks again!

Ok, not sure if I've spoke about this yet, but ....as far as heads go:

I usually use Aquarian Super 2 coated on top, w/ Classic Clears underneath.

Does anyone have any experience w/ Super 2s on vintage Ludwig 3 plys? Thanks...

p.s. I'd like to stick w/ Aquarian

Keep updated as much as possible! I'm looking into refinishing a ludwig from concert toms as well and i'd love to see as much as possible to know what needs to be done.

Well......it's been a long time coming..... but .......

SO FAR, .....so NICE!!! :)

I only had one issue. I didn't realize this, but,....as I've mentioned I have 2 14x16 floor toms, well, ....the first one I did ( the black one in the pics above...the double headed one) had the bottom hoop area out of round, .....my new Aquarian Classic Clear reso didn't fit! I was sooo mad!! Thankfully, I kept the original Remo Clear Ambassador that came on the drum and it fit, ...AND worked !! Any hints on "correcting" this??

Ok, enough already, ...here's a couple shots from the 6.5x10 and the first 14x16 .....

Attachments

• RedSparkleProject1.JPG
    RedSparkleProject1.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 2,039
  • RedSparkleProject2.JPG
    RedSparkleProject2.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,970
  • RedSparkleProject3.JPG
    RedSparkleProject3.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 2,003
  • RedSparkleProject4.JPG
    RedSparkleProject4.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 2,000
You're kidding right?! Come on guys, ....NOTHING here ?!?! :(

That looks great mate. The sun really sets off the sparkle!

what do you mean when you say 'out of round'? do you mean the shape of the tom has warped and isnt a perfect circle any more?

That looks great mate. The sun really sets off the sparkle!

what do you mean when you say 'out of round'? do you mean the shape of the tom has warped and isnt a perfect circle any more?

Yes, just the bottom portion of the tom .....just by a touch ...but the head wouldnt' fit, ...might be the head though because the original head fit ....

That looks great! Very nice job as well. The head very well could be the problem. I've experienced this with Aquarian heads on wrapped drums. The problem is due to the overlap in the wrap. I had this issue with two different Pearl floor toms that were wrapped drums, but other brands of heads fit just fine. The Aquarian hoop has somewhat of a flat spot where the hoop is joined together and this along with the wrap overlap is probably the culprit.

Looks very awesome!!
Those mounts look great too, the perfect size with the small classic lugs.

You guy's did a super job, have fun with the bass drum :)

Makes me want to bring out my RS again---and I only played one gig with the SS's!!

Looks very awesome!!
Those mounts look great too, the perfect size with the small classic lugs.

You guy's did a super job, have fun with the bass drum :)

Makes me want to bring out my RS again---and I only played one gig with the SS's!!

Thanks Karl, special thanks to you on the tips!! Hey, ...we did the 13 and the bass drum last night, wrap only, ...heck ....after the first one, it's easy, ...we had the formula down ! :)

Hoops getting painted this week, ...she'll be set up and ready soon!!!!!!!

OK .... I didn't take a picture of the 13" because , well, ....it turned out just like the 10" and the 16" .....so, I figured I'd show you a pic of the bass drum!! NOT BAD,....NOT BAD AT ALL!!

Thanks to Karl Crafton for all the tips, and, for the sweeeeeeeet Ludwig logo!! That, to me, is the icing on the cake!!!

ENJOY!

Attachments

• bassdrum4.jpg
    bassdrum4.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,911
  • bassdrum3.jpg
    bassdrum3.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,925
  • bassdrum2.JPG
    bassdrum2.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,943
  • bassdrum1.JPG