Is it just me, or is this a load of bull?

Shouldn't they detune as normal, seeing as how loosening the tension rod should just bring them up as well, seeing as how they tighten and loosen in the same direction?

They would loosen if you used a drum key. The forces of vibrational detuning are way less than a key.

The rim gets pushed down from the force of the stick impact, for a 1000th of a second the rod is free to move, the vibration of the drum provides the energy for the rod to move/loosen.

A simple nut provides enough force against the lug nut to prevent vibrational forces from loosing the tension rod.

Thank you - this is precisely the explanation I was after. Makes sense now!

The rim gets pushed down from the force of the stick impact, for a 1000th of a second the rod is free to move, the vibration of the drum provides the energy for the rod to move/loosen.

A simple nut provides enough force against the lug nut to prevent vibrational forces from loosing the tension rod.

This is not an absolute tho. If you're banging heavy sticks like a 2b with some big power rim shots, nuts will not hold. Hence the the aftermarket stuff to prevent detuning.

TIGHT SCREWS have proven the best for me, with the downside being they're stubborn to turn, but that's the trade-off for holding power.

I think I remember the RHYTHMTECH INDEX things having some ball bearing rattle when the heat was on.

Tightscrews are fantastic. I've been using a set on my snare for the last three months or so. Before I used them, my snares would detune very quickly - especially under heavy hitting. Now I don't get any detuning. They will eventually wear out if I re-tune my snare often enough but so far I've hardly had to touch a thing. Very impressed with them.

I needed the gizmos in the OP's post for my Ocheltree Dangerous snare. The lugs started falling out of the bottom rim after not very much playing the first time I used it.

Push a few pieces of soft plastic down.... problem solved!

The easiest solution? If you ignore the fact that I had to visit five(!) different stores to find these 12-24 nuts. After tuning the snare, just tighten the nut... I put them on yesterday and after a good four hours of playing today, there has been no sign of detuning. And if I notice any detuning I'll just add another nut and it will be fine. EDIT: Noticed now, that this solution has already been mentioned earlier in the thread. Nonetheless, great solution.

Notice that these are Sonor's TUNESAFE lugs. A bit ironic, but you can't really expect to hold up against rimshots. :)
SY5WW.jpg

Last edited:
The easiest solution? If you ignore the fact that I had to visit five(!) different stores to find these 12-24 nuts. After tuning the snare, just tighten the nut... I put them on yesterday and after a good four hours of playing today, there has been no sign of detuning. And if I notice any detuning I'll just add another nut and it will be fine. EDIT: Noticed now, that this solution has already been mentioned earlier in the thread. Nonetheless, great solution.

Notice that these are Sonor's TUNESAFE lugs. A bit ironic, but you can't really expect to hold up against rimshots. :)

So - are they holding up against your rimshots?

So - are they holding up against your rimshots?

Without the nuts? Not even close, they start detuning instantly and it gets very noticable after 15-20 minutes, but I do tend to tune the batter head fairly low and I play mainly rimshots.

With the nuts there has been no detuning what so ever, it works great!

For the DW owners out there, 10-32 thumbnuts on ebay at item no 271049925060.

Without the nuts? Not even close, they start detuning instantly and it gets very noticable after 15-20 minutes, but I do tend to tune the batter head fairly low and I play mainly rimshots.

With the nuts there has been no detuning what so ever, it works great!

Cool then! Yeah, after finally locating them myself, it's been a great security blanket.
Great fix and you can't beat the price!

But in the end, it wasn't so great after all. The nuts hold up great, no problem there, but the threads on the screws are getting completely destroyed right where the nut sits. I can still use the same lug screws since the damage is just above the lugs on the drum. As we know, this often happens with mismatching threads, but that is likely not the case. Could the vibration from the drum itself cause the metal to start shredding? Am I the only one having this problem? Seems that quite a few people have tried this method.

So, other solutions... Those plastic squares aren't too appealing, looks pretty damn ugly if you ask me. I guess that only leaves me with Tightscrews. Does anyone know if they ship to Europe? Doesn't say on the website. Also, the FAQ on tightscrew.com says "NOTE: TightScrews do not fit Sonor products fitted with slotted head tension rods but will fit Sonor products fitted with standard 12-24 thread tension rods." Does anyone know what "slotted head tension" refers to?

Last edited:
I use Lug Locks on my snare and rack tom, and they work pretty well. The drums don't detune as much as they do without the locks, and you can take the locks off and on to tune the drum very easily. They're expensive as heck though, I think my local store wants 6-7 bucks or something like that for four pieces...

So, other solutions... Those plastic squares aren't too appealing, looks pretty damn ugly if you ask me. I guess that only leaves me with Tightscrews. Does anyone know if they ship to Europe? Doesn't say on the website. Also, the FAQ on tightscrew.com says "NOTE: TightScrews do not fit Sonor products fitted with slotted head tension rods but will fit Sonor products fitted with standard 12-24 thread tension rods." Does anyone know what "slotted head tension" refers to?

They should work with yours. For a long time, Sonor used tension rods that, instead of having the square peg on top that the key goes around, had a trench for special drumkeys, like a flathead screwdriver. You can see them here
d768505a-0446-4181-8e33-a10f01151521_472x407.jpg

Back