Any Smokers Here?

con struct

Platinum Member
Not cigarettes, I mean the smokers that you smoke ribs and briskets in.

I bought one a few weeks ago and so far I'm hopeless at it. I was hoping that someone here may be a smoker of meat, someone who knows how to use these things. I've had a butcher's at all the websites and they're not much help.

This is an okay one, it's got the offset firebox and the thermometer. It's big enough to hold three big chickens.

For some reason it feels good to type "three big chickens." Really, try it now. Fun, yeah?

Okay. So...

Last edited:
I have a smoker, only thing I have done so far are some spare ribs and baby-backs with moderate success. There's a steep learning curve on perfecting them, but whats better than drinking beer, eating, then eating some more?

Been thiking of getting one but live alone so would ha to be quite small :-s
3 large chickens could feed me for a month ;-)
but the taste of local butcher meat in a smoker is unbeatable

Yeah but think about it, you smoke for an afternoon and have a ton of food readily available for quick meals. Provided you don't get sick of the flavor and overdue it ;)

Been thiking of getting one but live alone so would ha to be quite small :-s
3 large chickens could feed me for a month ;-)
but the taste of local butcher meat in a smoker is unbeatable

Why does your website have a link to Acoustic drum kits but it just comes up with more electric drum kits?...

The thing about smoking chicken or brisket is finding big enough rolling papers! (ba-dum-bum)
Seriously though.....being from Texas, I must admit I have spent many a hour sippin' ice cold beer over a smoker. With chicken, try leg quarters first. I believe this would be easier for a beginner. The key is the type of wood you use to cook with. Mesquite or hickory are the best in my opinion. Soak the wood in water an hour before using (this makes it smoke well and not burn up too fast). I cheat by starting the fire in the firebox with charcoal. Once that gets going add some of the soaked wood.

You don't have to season the meat much, if at all. The smoke will do that. However, this is up to you. Sometimes I just marinate the chicken in Italian dressing a few hours before. Have fun and experiment. Place the chicken in the smoker and let it smoke. The key to smoking anything on the grill is to let it cook SLOW & LOW. This process cannot be rushed! Check the meat periodically until done.

Sorry I didn't get this info. to you before Labor Day, but I just saw your post. I hope this helps to get you started.
O.K.- here I go! "Three Big Chickens!!!!" You know, that is fun!
Good Luck!

I'm not a smoker of any variety, but I have learned from watching The Food Network that the more you use your smoker the more smokey goodness you'll get from it. That's why the ones from restaurants or wherever taste so good. I think.

It takes practice Jay,
Practice and experimentation.
Take your time and you will find your way to smoked meat perfection!

I smoke ribs, pork shoulder and brisket on a gas grill. The way I do it is a bit crazy but it works and took some practice to perfect. The main thing is keeping the temperature consistent. I'm told I make some of the best ribs ever, comparable to what you would get down south where it's the real deal. I cannot do chicken to save my life though. Maybe it's because I don't like it much ...

Three Big Chickens. Three Big Chickens. Three Big Chickens. Three Big Chickens.
Kinda rolls off the keyboard, doesn't it?

Three Big Chickens. Three Big Chickens. Three Big Chickens. Three Big Chickens.
Kinda rolls off the keyboard, doesn't it?

I wouldn't know.

'Three Big Chickens'. It's ok but I use Dvorak so it probably feels different!

I cook with a gas smoker. I think it's easier to get a consistent temperature with gas compared to charcoal. Electric smokers are even easier but they are more expensive. I always use hickory chips. I don’t soak them but I do get them wet. I always keep the water pan full. I think the water pan is an important part of what makes food from a smoker so great. Otherwise the meat would dry out. The best thing I did so far is bought a reliable oven thermometer. I got mine at the local grocery store for about $10. The thermometer on the front door of my smoker does not give an accurate temp at all so having one sitting on the inside helped out quite a bit. Also, you'll want to buy a meat thermometer. How else are you supposed to know when it's done? From what I've read, everything cooks best at about 235 degrees Fahrenheit. Ribs take about 4 or 5 hours, a pork butt can take 7 or 8 hours. You really have to experiment with time. Some things I’ve done have been better than others but it’s ALL been pretty darn good.

Okay! so there are some smokers here, I thought there would be.

Here's what I do and it may be completely wrong: I get some charcoal burning in the firebox. When it's red with ash on it I put the wood on. I put four good sized chunks on and adjust the vents. I'll add wood as needed, always watching the temperature to keep it around 220 degrees.

This goes on for at least four hours depending on what I'm cooking.

Does this sound about right?

Back