G2 clears or G pro's??

i would go with g2 and they are great i have a nice deep sound

That was one of the things I discovered when I played Evans - when they started to go dead, they literally DIED very quickly. I was using G1's or G2's and the EQ3 for the bass drum. At some point I tried the EC2's and I had the same results every time. when I went back to the Remo heads, they died slowly. It was weird.

Other people have told me they experienced the same thing, but then I meet alot of people who love Evans heads and don't have this issue. I figure at this point in my career I don't want to change heads every three weeks when I'm gigging heavily (which I don't anymore) so I'm perfectly happy with the Remos. I started out on Remo when it was the only game in town almost 40 years ago!

A G Plus is just a tiny bit thinner than the EC1's you're playing now, but should sound a little more open without the muffle ring. I think if you're used to the feel of a thick one-ply G Plus is the way to go.

Of course, G2's are great heads too, so I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

That was one of the things I discovered when I played Evans - when they started to go dead, they literally DIED very quickly. I was using G1's or G2's and the EQ3 for the bass drum. At some point I tried the EC2's and I had the same results every time. when I went back to the Remo heads, they died slowly. It was weird.

Other people have told me they experienced the same thing, but then I meet alot of people who love Evans heads and don't have this issue. I figure at this point in my career I don't want to change heads every three weeks when I'm gigging heavily (which I don't anymore) so I'm perfectly happy with the Remos. I started out on Remo when it was the only game in town almost 40 years ago!

The problem I had with the EC2's is that I don't think they tune very well. I matched and double-checked the pitch of each rod on both sides, and I'm still not getting the sustain I want. A lot of tone, but not sustain. Perhaps it's due to the rings, but I got some great sustain out of my PS3's which also have rings.

my G2 Coated on my Tama is like 3 years old i believe... LOL and it still sounds great
technique makes a big difference on the longevity of a head. :)

Edit: I'll probably get bashed for saying 3 years old hahaha but im not exaggerating and i play a lot since I practice for school's big band.

The problem I had with the EC2's is that I don't think they tune very well. I matched and double-checked the pitch of each rod on both sides, and I'm still not getting the sustain I want. A lot of tone, but not sustain. Perhaps it's due to the rings, but I got some great sustain out of my PS3's which also have rings.

I can understand that. But a friend of mine sold me on the EC2's because his Yamaha Recording Custom had them and they sounded awesome. I get 'em and put 'em on my DW's at the time and they sucked! Definitely Your Mileage May Vary, eh?

Definitely Your Mileage May Vary, eh?

I agree. The EC2's sound great on my drums, and I have plenty enough sustain, matched with either EC Resos or Strata 1000s.

I'm sure tuning choices and bearing edge profiles play a big part, as does the weight of your hoops. Back when I tried heavier hoops on my toms they completely sucked up the sustain of thicker heads.

I agree. The EC2's sound great on my drums, and I have plenty enough sustain, matched with either EC Resos or Strata 1000s.

I'm sure tuning choices and bearing edge profiles play a big part, as does the weight of your hoops. Back when I tried heavier hoops on my toms they completely sucked up the sustain of thicker heads.

This is also a little unusual because on my Starclassic Bubingas, Tama installs heavy die cast hoops, yet my current coated Vintage Emperors sound great, and sustain well. I'm going back to regular clear emperors top and bottom on my next head set so I should be able to assume it'll sustain even longer.

I dunno, for me, just about all high end heads sound good, but they have to be tuned perfectly (or close to it) in order to do so.
I have EC2's over G1's and am having a B_ _CH of a time tuning my 2 largest toms right now.
I dont think its the heads though. I used Remo Pinstripes for ever until now and would go through the same problems.
I think its my brain. :/

The coated vintage Emperors are a bit thicker than normal. The white coating feels a little heavier too. But on my Tama Starclassic Bubingas, they sound great. Very resonant and easy to tune. They can take high pitch and low ones. They're great.

Back