John Bonham

Re: How do u do the bass drum rolls like John Bonham???

When you find the answer please tell me. That guy was just a freak of nature.

practice, practice, practice. there really wasnt a secret or anyhitng.

Much practice will equal goodness.

It took me a year and a half to get my foot half as fast as he can do it

are u talking about when he does in triplets hi-hat bass bass? if so just practice alot. My first drum book i got when i was 7 was my led zeppelin book and that was on of the first i played. took a while but it got easier and easier.

Practice both double strokes and triplets with your feet.

doubles with your feet: rr ll rr ll and ll rr ll rr

triplets with your feet: lrr lrr lrr lrr and rll rll rll rll

Oh yeah...a whole lot!!! and you will be unstoppable..seriously though, switch your starting foot and strengthen both feet...not just one.

HiTMaN said:
Practice both double strokes and triplets with your feet.

doubles with your feet: rr ll rr ll and ll rr ll rr

triplets with your feet: lrr lrr lrr lrr and rll rll rll rll

Oh yeah...a whole lot!!! and you will be unstoppable..seriously though, switch your starting foot and strengthen both feet...not just one.

This were double-bass exercises, but John didn't use doublebass??!!!

So, with single pedal: In any case, it's a good idea to practice Triplets between Snare and Bass Drum and moving the starting point:

BD - L - R
L - BD - R
R - L - BD
BD - R - L
R - BD - L
L - R - BD

L = Snare Left Hand
R = Snare Right Hand
BD = BassDrum

Bernhard

Thats a good tip bernard, I gave an attempt at "in my time of dying" yesterday and man I have quite a long way to go for that song. I think he may use the Floor Tom with the Bass on that one, Atleast I hope so because if its all Bass then I dont think it's ever gonna happen. With single BD anyway.

nhzoso said:
Thats a good tip bernard, I gave an attempt at "in my time of dying" yesterday and man I have quite a long way to go for that song. I think he may use the Floor Tom with the Bass on that one, Atleast I hope so because if its all Bass then I dont think it's ever gonna happen. With single BD anyway.

yeah that is a challenging groove to play, and its all single bass drum, no floor tom.

Its all practice, and a peddle with a really soft feel. Heal/toeing makes it alot easier. Nico McBrain from Iron Maiden does alot of the same kick patterns.

build up ankle strength, doing it with your leg will be energy consuming and hard.

i've seen chad smith do it a lot. one of the few 'technical' things i've seen him do. he does it quite well.

if you can get a drum transcription of "good times,bad times" that will help see what he does.i know there is a zep drum transcription book for some of their songs(like "the crunge".)i just practiced quarter notes on the high-hat(half open)partial 8th note triplets with the bass drum(trip-let) and 2 and 4 (or just a hit on 3 for a half-time feel)and just work up to speed,for starters.so it'd be ONE

if you can get a drum transcription of "good times,bad times" that will help see what he does.i know there is a zep drum transcription book for some of their songs(like "the crunge".)i just practiced quarter notes on the high-hat(half open), partial 8th note triplets with the bass drum(trip-let) and 2 and 4 (or just a hit on 3 for a half-time feel) on the snare and just work up to speed,for starters.so it'd be ONE- trip -let TWO trip-let,etc.

My favorite Bonham tracks are "Out on the Tiles", "Wanton Song", "The Crunge", "Achilles Last Stand", "Nobody's Fault but Mine", "Misty Mountain Hop", and of course the baddest groove ever "When the Levee Breaks." But I think my favorite to play along with is "Out on the Tiles." What do you guys think of this track?

Not my fav to play, but I think this was the 1st song I heard Bonham using his famous doubles on thebass drum. As soon as I got home I tried this and could do it but opened alot more windows if ye know what I mean.

John Bonham is definetly the God of All Drums my favorite drummer ever to have lived, and yet he spirit lives on, ever since i saw John on the Led Zeppelin Dvd and have herd him from Led Zeppelin cd's Its the only style ive ever played is John's style ever since i got my first full kit, i think its a bit of an addiction. I hear this alot "you cant juest play one drummers style or youl never get any better, you got to take some bits and peaces of other drummers" and im beggining to think thats true but John is still the best drummer of all time.

Long live John Henry Bonham

pcmckay said:
My favorite Bonham tracks are "Out on the Tiles", "Wanton Song", "The Crunge", "Achilles Last Stand", "Nobody's Fault but Mine", "Misty Mountain Hop", and of course the baddest groove ever "When the Levee Breaks." But I think my favorite to play along with is "Out on the Tiles." What do you guys think of this track?
Out on the tiles is great, i love it. Led Zeppelin III is waaaay too under rated. i like their acoustic stuff ALOT....

John Bonham is one of my favorite drummers. However lets not forget that he died at a very young age due to alcohol abuse. I doubt very much that he was ever sober on stage. Can you imagine how great he could of been without the booze??

Skylane

Skylane said:
John Bonham is one of my favorite drummers. However lets not forget that he died at a very young age due to alcohol abuse. I doubt very much that he was ever sober on stage. Can you imagine how great he could of been without the booze??

Skylane

You cant really try to see how great he would have been without the booze because he wasn't drunk on stage 24/7. Maybe a little buzzed but you cant be totaly drunk on stage playing as well as he did. Just watch the Led Zeppelin dvd.

Back