Best practicing pad?

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
What's your recommendation for the best and most useful practice pad for someone who had never purchased one? Thanks!

What's your recommendation for the best and most useful practice pad for someone who had never purchased one? Thanks!

I use two and they're a little different from one another. The first one is a small gum rubber one sided HQ Real Feel. It's portable, comfortable to play on and I take it with me any time I travel. The other one is a large Aquarian True Feel. It has a slightly harder neoprene surface and it's designed to make you work a little harder. It feels a lot like a slightly over-tightened snare drum.

Both are good pads. The big True Feel is much louder and doesn't have a female cymbal stand adapter, the HQ Real Feel does. For many years I played on an old Remo Practice pad with a Towel draped over it to kill the noise a bit because I was renting an apartment at the time. It was also a more than adequate practice pad. All in all I favor the HQ over the others and I have no problem going back and forth between drum set and the pad. I say this because there are players who find that the gum rubber surface is an over-giving, less than true playing surface. It is but I find it to be comfortable and good for developing rudiments, hand speed, or what ever.

Most of all, try a few out and see what you like.

So many good models to choose from.

+1 on the HQ Real Feel. I have a couple of those.

Also check, The Aquarian True Bounce, the Vic Firth pad, the Vater pad, the P4 pad, the Sabian Quiet Tone.....all good mate.

The man with the name that covers my two favourite things is right "Most of all, try a few out and see what you like. "

The only practice pad I own is the HQ Real Feel. I got it for around $30, about a year ago, and it's still in perfect condition. The one I own has two sides, a bouncier, more realistic one, and one that is dull for practicing speed and endurance.

I highly recommend this pad, but, you should look at other ones, if you have specific needs.

What do you guys think of the electronic pads, like the Alesis E-Practice pad, that actually trains your rudiments and has a metronome?

What do you guys think of the electronic pads, like the Alesis E-Practice pad, that actually trains your rudiments and has a metronome?

I've only played the Roland models (RMP3 and RMP5). They're a bit of fun, if not a little gimmicky. The RMP5 is far superior to, and has more Gucci features than the RMP3. But honestly for the price, I'd be happier with a pad and metronome.

I'm not sure what you mean by "trains your rudiments" though. Are you talking about subdividing? Even entry level met's will subdivide to 16th notes, if so.

i have the promark xpad that has the two different playing surfaces on the same side but i always use the other side that ur not supposed to play on and i love it i have to wrk extra hard on it but i dont feel like my wrist or fingers get more wrk over the other

So many good models to choose from.

+1 on the HQ Real Feel. I have a couple of those.

Also check, The Aquarian True Bounce, the Vic Firth pad, the Vater pad, the P4 pad, the Sabian Quiet Tone.....all good mate.

The man with the name that covers my two favourite things is right "Most of all, try a few out and see what you like. "

+2 hq real feel. great pad and not very expensive. seems like every other manufacturer is copying their stuff too.

Glad to hear that you guys like the RealFeel pads! For the environmentally conscious drummer, consider checking out our EcoPad. The base is made from residual wood materials while the playing surface is made from recycled tires. They're made with the same quality and attention to detail that goes into our RealFeel pads but with a super eco-friendly construction.

The pad comes in two different sizes, both with a female 8mm thread on the bottom for mounting and a foam pad for table top practicing. Because the playing surface is a different material, the feel isn't the same as the RealFeel but it still offers a great practicing experience.

I've only played the Roland models (RMP3 and RMP5). They're a bit of fun, if not a little gimmicky. The RMP5 is far superior to, and has more Gucci features than the RMP3. But honestly for the price, I'd be happier with a pad and metronome.

I'm not sure what you mean by "trains your rudiments" though. Are you talking about subdividing? Even entry level met's will subdivide to 16th notes, if so.

I have the RMP5 and like it a lot. The pad feels good, the metronome and built-in sounds are great. I don't really use the "coach" features (accuracy checking, silent count, stroke balance, etc.).

I regretted buying it at first because my original intention was to use it when I travel (which I do a lot for work), and after buying it I realized it was too loud, large, and fragile to travel with. But now I'm using it at home as my metronome and practice pad so I'm digging it... It is pretty expensive though... After getting the stand and power adapter you're looking at >$300.

I also have a cheap little Sound Percussion pad that I travel with... It's not the greatest, but it works.

eco pad is too hard. i killed my wrist after practicing one night.
I'm very surprised. Having played on far more than my fair share of practice pads, I was quite happy with the feel of the Eco Pad. A tuned up snare head is usually "harder" than any practice pad would be.

I just bought a Sabian Quiet Tone and i love it. it was recommended to me by my teacher, he's had his for years (he made a similar one before Sabian came out with the quiet tone). Its good because its the same average size as a snare (14 inches) and you could play brushes on it as well.

Yeah, definitely the HQ ReelFeel. Nice feel, great response, and nice volume. The Vic Firth pads are too loud for me. Too me, they have a deal feeling. The response isn't what I would want in a pad. But yeah, I would choose ReelFeel any day of the week.

The one I have is the Sound Percussion one that comes with a free stick bag. It has a metronome and rudiments, and it two sided. Best part: very durable and only 25 bucks. The stick bag is nice too!

Back