I found another gem!!

Dirtysticks

I went into the same Pawn shop that I went to a few week ago ( the one that had the DW Jazz Series snare for super cheap) today after work and I came across two more gems! Someone had brought in not one, but 2 DW Edge snares, one 6x12 with white powder coated hardware and the other one was a very special one. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it! It was a Neil Peart R30 30th anniversary Edge with Black Mirra finish and 24kt gold hardware, and it was in great condition... just a little dusty and in need of a good cleaning. They only want $219 for the 6x12 which I'm most likely gonna get as well, but they only wanted $499 for the R30! The lowest that I've ever seen one go for was $1000 with most selling between $1200-1500. I told him that the price was a little too high, and we settled on $420. I out it on layaway. (Layaway is the best way to get things I want, being a single father with 2 kids... especially around the holidays)

I know that some here don't like threads with layaway or a long wait, but I had to tell some drummer friends that would understand my excitement. I had left my phone at work so I didn't get a picture of it, but it's a beauty! Below are a few a links to 2 on the bay just like it though!.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DW-COLLECTO...NNIVERSARY-EDGE-SNARE-DRUM-6X14-/121223290315

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWEET-DW-US.../190990879425?pt=US_Drums&hash=item2c77f18ac1

Today I went back and put the 6x12 DW Edge on layaway to for $190. I was able to get some shots of this one before they took it to the back. The idiot previous owner decided that it'd be a great idea to paint the hardware white, and he did a terrible job too. It chipped a little on one of the rims, so I glad to say that the chrome is perfectly fine underneath. That paint will be quickly removed once the drum gets home!

I wish I could click a thumbs up button to tell you of my love of this item/story

Obviously an aftermarket paint job on the lugs/hoops. Are you going to strip them back down to the chrome or leave them white?

Great find. I wish the pawn shops here had anything worth a shit.

Obviously an aftermarket paint job on the lugs/hoops. Are you going to strip them back down to the chrome or leave them white?

Great find. I wish the pawn shops here had anything worth a shit.

I wish I could click a thumbs up button to tell you of my love of this item/story

Thanks, These were a great find indeed! I will definitely be stripping away that terrible paint job!

Hmmmm...

Single parent
2 kids
Layaway
Holiday season

I'm having some difficulty understanding your priorities. Just sayin'

GJS

Hmmmm...

Single parent
2 kids
Layaway
Holiday season

GJS

Ummmm... ok, well it's a good thing that I don't worry about other's understanding of my priorities! Thanks for your contribution to the thread... have a nice holiday season.

Last edited:
Whaaaaaa!

"Just sayin'" - Go away you ignorant man!

Exactly! So I guess to him, being a single father around the holidays means that you can't get anything for yourself, unless your priorities are off? WOW! I stated that layaway was a good way to get what I want for myself and that screamed out him "priorities out of whack!" I just don't understand the thought process of some people! LOL

Who the hell lets go of these drums to the pawn shops for that cheap?

And why do I never find anything good when I go?

If I could find a pawn shop that dumb I'd flip things on evilBay for a living.

Hmmmm...

Single parent
2 kids
Layaway
Holiday season

GJS

Wow, not to be rude or anything, but I'm totally being rude. That's what I heard. Its also the holiday season, and people are allowed to get something for themselves. So you don't have to act as God and judge if people are guilty or not. And buddy, you got a lot of nerve saying that kind of language exspecially on DW where people stand up for their fellow drummin' buddies. You'll be finding yourself on the lonely, friendless island real quick if you keep up that attitude. Ah hem. *jerk*

(I personally am a Christian, just saying) and (Psst, I sound like my dad, :) )

Wow, not to be rude or anything, but I'm totally being rude. That's what I heard. Its also the holiday season, and people are allowed to get something for themselves. So you don't have to act as God and judge if people are guilty or not. And buddy, you got a lot of nerve saying that kind of language exspecially on DW where people stand up for their fellow drummin' buddies. You'll be finding yourself on the lonely, friendless island real quick if you keep up that attitude. Ah hem. *jerk*

(I personally am a Christian, just saying) and (Psst, I sound like my dad, :) )

The pitfalls of layaway plans are well known (e.g. mostly used by lower income people who are financially gouged with this type of purchasing modality):

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/10/stayaway-from-layaway.html

I too am a parent but I put my daughter (and wife) first. She goes to a private school, takes karate (will be a black belt next year when she turns 10). She takes art and guitar lessons too. She is an A student with a bright future. She belongs to a private beach club. This year she visited Nepal twice, Copenhagen, Stockholm and Canada. She friends with a young sheik (Mohammad bin Sultan bin Zayed) and has play dates at his palace.

Here is his father's bio
http://cmc.ae/english/about_us.html

Now tell me about your kids and the bright future you are preparing for them.

I did buy something for myself when I was young like you ... I invested in my education and eventually earned my MBA and PhD. My sacrifice has paid dividends for me and my family. I did not make the rules up for financial and parental responsibility; I am only reporting them to someone who knows what I am saying is true but is easily offended.
The simple fact is that when you get your priorities right, good things follow; the converse is also true.

GJS

p.s. While I did make a judgement about you (and you have confirmed its accuracy), I have not resorted in name calling.

The pitfalls of layaway plans are well known (e.g. mostly used by lower income people who are financially gouged with this type of purchasing modality):

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/10/stayaway-from-layaway.html

I too am a parent but I put my daughter (and wife) first. She goes to a private school, takes karate (will be a black belt next year when she turns 10). She takes art and guitar lessons too. She is an A student with a bright future. She belongs to a private beach club. This year she visited Nepal twice, Copenhagen, Stockholm and Canada. She friends with a young sheik (Mohammad bin Sultan bin Zayed) and has play dates at his palace.

Here is his father's bio

I did buy something for myself when I was young like you ... I invested in my education and eventually earned my MBA and PhD. My sacrifice has paid dividends for me and my family. I did not make the rules up for financial and parental responsibility; I am only reporting them to someone who knows what I am saying is true but is easily offended.
The simple fact is that when you get your priorities right, good things follow; the converse is also true.

GJS

p.s. While I did make a judgement about you (and you have confirmed its accuracy), I have not resorted in name calling.

How did I confirm any of what you said to be accurate? What name did I call you? What do you even know about me? What ages are my children? What is my income? How do I make my money? All of my money, time and resources go towards taking care of my children and providing a better life for them, but since I put $40 down on a snare drum at a pawn shop, my priorities are out of whack? You have no idea where my family and I live, how we live, etc. I put the drum on layaway because the R30 usually sells for over $1200, but I found one at a great price ($420). These aren't new items at a music store, these are used items that are way underpriced that would be sold from under me if I get a piggy bank and save to buy them.

I am glad that your child is a black belt world traveler, who takes art and guitar lessons and is friends with a sheik. That is truly amazing. I'm glad that you have a MBA and a PhD too. That is great and I'm glad you kept your priorities straight by not using layaway. I won't get into a pissing match and compare my life and my kid's lives to you and you kid's lives because I'm positive I won't be able to measure up to your level of greatness. I apologize that I've sentenced my children to a terrible life and dark future by using layaway to add a few snares to my collection, without really affecting my budget. I apologize for getting something for myself other than degrees. I apologize for not getting my life advice from you before I decided to make such a bad decision. That is truly unacceptable and shows just how much I have my kids on the back burner.

Here is his father's bio

GJS

Excuse my french, but what the fuck?

Who are you to come in here and start telling somebody else how to live their life?
That's great that you've got everything figured out, and we're all *so* happy for your daughter's trips, but what business is it of your what Dirtysticks does with his time and money?

Get your narcissism out of here.

With things like a grandparent starving a 5 year old to death, and guardians beating to death and locking kids in cages making headline news, I hardly feel having to layaway a drum until getting in a better spot financially before sealing a deal to be an issue of someone loving their children more than another.
It is sad when people feel they need to cast judgement on the lives of others, but slap me and call me Mohammed, some people feel they are superior to all others.

Here is his father's bio

GJS

I spent about 5 minutes typing up a lengthy response to your reply. Unfortunately, my computer shut down before I could send it so I'll just sum it up quickly...

You sound like a narcissistic jerk.

Look, my daughter is friends with a sheik...hahaahahahaha who gives a crap!? that is so lame I am at a loss for words. are you a better man by association through her..hahahahaha

Man, what's with the influx of self-righteous pricks here lately? Goddamn.

Good for you buddy, but I don't think anybody gives two shits about what you did with your life, this guy just found a good deal on drums that he could easily sell and turn for a big profit if he so chose. Clearly the worst thing he could ever do with his life is put these on layaway to secure such a good deal for himself.

Some people...

The R30 snare drum is awesome.....and the price is insanely low. I'm stoked for you that you were able to get such a deal. It's an heirloom IMO.

I found the Snakes and Arrows dw snare for a " good " price, but that is just insane. I'm also blown away at the sound of it.

Enjoy! I'm a bit jealous.

The topic header is Your Gear, not the Psychology of Parenting and financial obligation. Let's stay on topic please.

Back