heads up - Evans Gplus

I have used G2 coated on a birch kit which sounded really big and warm but when I bought my oak kit, it came with G2 clears on top and G1`s as resonant heads. Some how, the heads sounded cold so I fitted G+ batters two nights ago. I think they are going to be very sweet when I get them tuned just right but I will definitely keep in mind the idea of fitting them also as resonants. I agree that they definitely seem to "sing" better when both heads are tuned to the same pitch.
On the bass drum issue, the first thing I did when I brought my new kit home was to remove the e-mad head and fit an Aquarian Super Kick 1. If you haven`t tried one of these kick heads I can highly recommend them (if you are looking for a big fat kick sound).

I'm ordering a full pack of G-Plus's for my next paycheck. So, those of you who have the G-Plus's, what would you recommend for resos? I'm debating between G1's or Genera Resos but I see a lot of you are saying G-Pluses themselves make good resos too.

Btw, they do offer the G-Plus in a full coated white version - but as far as I know they have to be ordered directly from the Evans website - Musician's Friend only stocks the clear and frost coated versions. I'm going to try the frost coated version though, and see how I like it - If it's not warm enough I'll be looking into getting the coated whites.

I'm ordering a full pack of G-Plus's for my next paycheck. So, those of you who have the G-Plus's, what would you recommend for resos? I'm debating between G1's or Genera Resos but I see a lot of you are saying G-Pluses themselves make good resos too.

Btw, they do offer the G-Plus in a full coated white version - but as far as I know they have to be ordered directly from the Evans website - Musician's Friend only stocks the clear and frost coated versions. I'm going to try the frost coated version though, and see how I like it - If it's not warm enough I'll be looking into getting the coated whites.

I'm pretty sure that's new.... I never saw that even on their website before.

I'm pretty sure that's new.... I never saw that even on their website before.

I'm pretty sure they just added it a few months ago... I never saw it until I checked recently and I thought that was cool that they offer a full coated white version. If only Musician's Friend would stock it so it wouldn't cost me twice as much..

I'm pretty sure they just added it a few months ago... I never saw it until I checked recently and I thought that was cool that they offer a full coated white version. If only Musician's Friend would stock it so it wouldn't cost me twice as much..

Most online retailers like that are really slow to do that... if I had known this was around (granted, I don't think they had these when I ordered G Pluses) I probably would've gotten the actual coating. I don't think the frosty coating is HORRIBLE but I'm not really a fan of it.

I won't mind it if I get coated EQ4s front an back on my bass drum through... should actually look pretty cool

I have been using the G plus as resos with G1"s as batters and found this combo to be totaly awesome. Try this combo, you will be amazed.

Ok guys, as promised, here's two videos so you can compare G+'s to G1's as resos with G2's as batters. These short & simple shots were recorded on a Zoom Q3. Both from exactly the same position, same settings, and same tuning. I have to say, I can hear a bigger difference from the drivers seat than you can out front, but as we all know, it's out front that matters. This is recorded in a really dead loft room. Please bear in mind that the tuning may not be optimum for the G+'s.

First video is with G1 resos
Second video is with G+ resos Same basic routine on both. No processing.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYT-f_0PgUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP4bfXLcQe8

Ok guys, as promised, here's two videos so you can compare G+'s to G1's as resos with G2's as batters. These short & simple shots were recorded on a Zoom Q3. Both from exactly the same position, same settings, and same tuning. I have to say, I can hear a bigger difference from the drivers seat than you can out front, but as we all know, it's out front that matters. This is recorded in a really dead loft room. Please bear in mind that the tuning may not be optimum for the G+'s.

First video is with G1 resos
Second video is with G+ resos Same basic routine on both. No processing.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYT-f_0PgUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP4bfXLcQe8

Sounded slightly different to me, although I think I should try listening with headphones a little later to have a better gauge as to what the difference is...

I noticed it when I changed my resos the first time that the "depth" difference was apparent with the G Pluses too.

I just listened to both videos back to back, and my ears detected a difference. The G Plus resos sounded more "open" or "airy," which I liked. The G1 resos were more focused, punchy.

I have to use headphones and listen some more, but that's my ear-gut reaction.

Nice work! I've been thinking of trying G Plus resos since they are supposed to be thinner and thus breathe more.

Nice work! I've been thinking of trying G Plus resos since they are supposed to be thinner and thus breathe more.
Cheers Robert, feedback much appreciated. The thickness thing is actually the other way around. The G+ is 12 mil, the G1 is 10 mil. The theory is the slightly heavier weight offers more sustain as a reso. Of course, it's not designed as a reso, hence the trials I'm doing. Let me know what you think of the sound in my latest clip with the G+ as a batter and G1 as a reso head. Interesting to compare the three combinations on the same drums. Much bigger difference in the room than on the recording.

Cheers Robert, feedback much appreciated. The thickness thing is actually the other way around. The G+ is 12 mil, the G1 is 10 mil. The theory is the slightly heavier weight offers more sustain as a reso. Of course, it's not designed as a reso, hence the trials I'm doing. Let me know what you think of the sound in my latest clip with the G+ as a batter and G1 as a reso head. Interesting to compare the three combinations on the same drums. Much bigger difference in the room than on the recording.

Have you thought about doubling up on the G Pluses as both batters and resos?

Have you thought about doubling up on the G Pluses as both batters and resos?
That could be interesting, but I still like the very open sound of G1's. Check out my latest thread in the your playing section. Drumcam view. I'm just messing, but it's surprising what changing the position of the recorder can do. Tell me what you think of the sound. G+'s over G1's. Cheers KIS.

I'm most likely going to have Ambassador X's sometime this sumer as batters and I've been running G pluses as the reso... I'm hoping it sounds great, it should.

I've just broken in a new set of tom heads, Clear G2s over clear Gplus resos.

I had tried the g-pluses as batters before and liked them, but I like them even better as resos. Very easy to tune up or down. Gplus over G1s like a lot of head combos I've tried were a good sounding combination but the heavier reso, for me, makes it easier to find a sweet spot, high, low, or other wise, that doesn't produce a pitch bend as the resonance decays.

I have them set up on 12 - 14 - 16 - 18 toms and the relative ease I can find the happy place tuning wise has me grinning. Very easy to get a nice fourth drop between the toms with this combo.

Back