18 inch Floor Tom Rebuild

Hoops dry, claws and t-rods installed. Need to get longer screws for the bass drum pedal mount to compensate for the wide wooden hoops. But until tomorrow, here is the bass drum finished.

Attachments

• CIMG0723.JPG
    CIMG0723.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • CIMG0724.JPG
    CIMG0724.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 1,070
  • CIMG0726.JPG
    CIMG0726.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 1,063
  • CIMG0727.JPG
    CIMG0727.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,058
Last edited:
Sweet....Beeeezzzzzzzz. You going to put a cymbal or something on that third floor tom leg mount on top of the bass? A little crash/splash would be pretty.

Iam trying to find a way to mount the 12 inch tom on that, but the tom has a Pearl type mount and the bass drum mount uses a Gretsch type mount. But I may take your advice and put a small cymbal there and just use the snare stand. I know of no type of adapter to use the piece, a rail mount, that came with the legs and riser.

here are some photos of the tom mount and the rail tom mount. Not sure how to resolve this

Attachments

• 258779.jpg
    258779.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 538218.jpg
    538218.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,046
Last edited:
Re: tom mount...I see what you mean. Nothing immediately comes to mind, without adding a Pearl bass mount to the 18" I can't think of any other way around it. With all the work you put in I would not trust the thumb screw on the leg mount to hold a 12" tom any way. Get a sweet 14" K Custom Dark. I think the tom on snare stand is a good look.

Thanks. I am also going to put the 13, yes 13, on a snare stand for my floor tom.
This weekend I hope to get some sound bytes up with some better pics with cymbals etc. Thanks for looking.

I lied. I put legs on the 13 x 11 floor tom. 2 more screws for the pedal riser and this puppy is done. And if anyone has a bass drum cymbal arm they don't need let me know please. Thanks.

Attachments

• CIMG0730.JPG
    CIMG0730.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,028
  • CIMG0728.JPG
    CIMG0728.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 1,029
That did come out great, and was worth the wait! wonderful job, John. Wouldn't a BD cymbal arm be to close the the tripod mounted tom? Interesting to see how you work the cymbals in.. the story continues

I was thinking of one of these leaned to the drivers right, to the left in the picture, and then the tiller part tilted in such a way to place the crash/ride cymbal.

Attachments

• 538177.jpg
    538177.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,014
I'm pretty sure it is. I was able to use the rail mount I had and improvised a cymbal arm.

Attachments

• CIMG0739.JPG
    CIMG0739.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,018
  • CIMG0740.JPG
    CIMG0740.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • CIMG0741.JPG
    CIMG0741.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,014
If your heart is set on a mounted tom you could get a generic rims mount and use the rail mount you have. But, my vote is a cymbal arm on the bass. It gives it a much cleaner look. I think the rail mount, rims with tom would look very busy on that 18" bass.

I agree. I used the rail for an improvised cymbal mount as shown here.

Attachments

• CIMG0735.JPG
    CIMG0735.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 968
  • CIMG0736.JPG
    CIMG0736.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 974
  • CIMG0737.JPG
    CIMG0737.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 976
Sweet indeed Grunter.......I've been waiting to view the finished product, before commenting. Looks the goods.....I've even been able to shake that horrific 'Stryper' reference that someone made earlier on. Looks like it was a fun little project.....from snares to a full kit.....change of vocation for you perhaps?

How does it sing? Happy with the sound?

G...Love it!! That rail mount gives you a lot more extra support for a larger cymbal. Congrats on a project well done my friend.

Pocket, Wayne..Thanks guys. Vocation, no, but not too many years from retirement so I may do some snares down the road to keep my joints oiled. It was fun but this group of drums are not of great quality because all were wrapped at one time but the snare. Learned a lot about drum plies for sure. Will get the bass drum pedal finished tomorrow finally and then some sound bytes.

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before, this kit is amazing!!!! nice job assembling and finishing the whole thing. it looks 100% professional. I would love to get the chance to play this kit.

Ah,she is finally sea-worthy! Great job, John. I love the cymbal coming off the tom holder. Does the cymbal seem a little distant? Cant tell from the pics. I'd try a bigger cymbal. Maybe one of Stan's 28" 'Stanbuls?

Thanks Stasz very much. As I have said the further away you are the better it looks.
The cymbal A.D. is a 19 inch crash. I can swap it for my 21 inch Sweet Ride, but it is not too far away. If I could afford one of Stans 28 inchers, I wouldn't have rebuilt this. I would have bought a set. I'm still working on tuning the 12 tom. sound byte soon.

Back