Finding Samples For Trigger Pads as a Pop Drummer

Zakk Marks

So I've been trying to find more professional side-job gigs and I've noticed that a lot of drummers these days have been using sampling pads and triggers to make them more versatile and put off a more "Modern" sound, so I've been thinking about trying out an entry level pad and upgrading to a higher-quality one later down the road, but my question is this: Where can you find the "right" samples for the songs you need to play? For example, say you booked a gig with a female vocalist and she wants to perform "Dark Horse" by Katy Perry. Would you have to make the samples yourself in a DAW or is there somewhere that you can find the .WAV files used in the original song?

Also, what are your opinions on hybrid kits? Do you think they're a cool integration to the future of drumming or are they too synthetic? Thank you!

You can find inexpensive sample libraries at music stores, which are ideal because they're already processed and edited. You can often find samples online as well, just do a search for "wav sample claps" for example. Sometimes extended mixes of songs have sounds in the clear, which you can edit with any audio program.

Good luck!

Bermuda

Where can you find the "right" samples for the songs you need to play?

I'm so far removed from this because it's been YEARS since I've played eDrums. A lot of the "brains" you can find for edrums have sounds that are pretty modern. Also, I'm sure that sounds can be manipulated and/or downloaded. Like I said, I don't know a lot about it right now.

Also, what are your opinions on hybrid kits? Do you think they're a cool integration to the future of drumming or are they too synthetic? Thank you!

I think hybrid kits can be cool, but I feel like the band needs to step up its game when it comes to PA systems. For a hybrid kit, the bigger the venue and PA, the better. You also have to consider monitoring as well. It would be awkward to have a few pads on the drumset and you not hear anything whenever you play them.

Just my $.02.

i say go for it. i have triggers but i am still behind the curve on a hybrid kit. i need to invest in a Roland SPD-SX at some point & start playing w/ correct samples on cover tunes.

my feeling is it can only help your career once you get over the tech / usability hump. for example, if Justin Timberlake somehow needed me to sub...i am immediately fired because i have no experience w/ a hybrid system.

Freesound.org is a fantastic resource for all kinds of things. When I need a sample for something, if I can't create it reasonable time myself I'll go over there, search and download. Then if I need to I can do my own processing.

It came in very handy for a project at work last week and is fantastic for all kinds of odd sounds. They're uploaded by users so some of them are practically useless but once you've weeded out the ones you don't want and you have a better idea of what you're looking for, it's all good.

To edit any of the downloaded samples I will recommend Audacity as a powerful, accurate and free wave editor. With samples, you need them to trigger instantly so getting rid of any silences, etc. is vital. It always helps to have a fade out at the end (no matter how small) to avoid any audio popping as well. Check which audio formats your hardware can accept. Typically, 16-bit, 44.1KHz WAV files are fine for 99% of things and a de-facto standard.

Finding 'original' samples is highly unlikely unless you have the software tools the original producer used. Something like 'Dark Horse' has a fairly generic clap that you can find online and with a bit of editing you can get 'close enough' quite easily. It wouldn't take any more than 10 minutes if you know what you're doing. Sometimes, the originals are from old drum machines and finding sample packs of those is a lot easier. There are plenty of TR-909 and TR-808 (even 707 and 606) sample packs out there, some better than others. If an old-fashioned hardware drum machine is being used on a track (less common now but pretty much ubiquitous in the 80s and 90s) then it helps to be able to identify which machine it probably came from.

I could go on but I'll stop here. It's a deep rabbit hole you've just entered!

You also have to consider monitoring as well. It would be awkward to have a few pads on the drumset and you not hear anything whenever you play them.

That's a crucial consideration! If the band has a p.a. and you have a monitor, you're fine. Otherwise, you need to bring an amp onstage and place it where you can also hear it. A good level will be tricky doing it yourself from behind the kit, but someone listening out front can help dial it in.

Speaking of levels, it's a smart idea to balance the sample levels so some aren't too quiet, or too loud. Again, a little tricky to do without another person to give feedback. Hopefully something that can be worked out in a rehearsal. (If it's a band that doesn't normally rehearse, schedule one anyway!)

Bermuda

From the original post I'm not quite sure if you are looking for a completely hybrid kit or some pads to add some sounds to your pallette. I do the latter with an Alesis Samplepad (still under $200, I believe). It has four pads on it. The onboard sounds are few and rather generic, but, as others have said, you can find samples online, edit them (Audacity works nice, and is free), then put them on a SD card that loads into the Samplepad. I use it for a lot of one-off stuff I may need for only one tune all night: hand claps, claves, additional toms, cowbell, gong, vibraslap, sirens, etc.

I google something like, "free wav sample claps" and that will get you on the right track. This search will also give you some hits on sample bundles available for purchase if you would rather go that route.

Back