Travis Barker

I like watching his solo's really cool stuff. Travis just goes really fast and that seems to impress the crowd and the solo's that Travis does really puts on a good show!!

nicely put. as long as the crowd is happy, then thats fine. sometimes if an amazing dummer shows a crowd rudiments it can be dull. he shows off, thats why its fun.

I am very surprised to see people bashing Travis. I got to see him play live with the Transplants at Warped and it was amazing. He plays open handed on a lot of stuff, which i think is sick. He also has a lot of awesome beats with lots of bass drum. He may not be the most flashy drummer and his beats arent to difficult, but you have to appreciate what he's doing. I think on the newest Blink album he has really branched out using electronic drums, more cowbell and wood blocks, etc. I do like Blink and Boxcar. I would NEVER call Travis the best drummer in the world, however he is one of my favorites.

Drummer95 said:
I am very surprised to see people bashing Travis. I got to see him play live with the Transplants at Warped and it was amazing. He plays open handed on a lot of stuff, which i think is sick. He also has a lot of awesome beats with lots of bass drum. He may not be the most flashy drummer and his beats arent to difficult, but you have to appreciate what he's doing. I think on the newest Blink album he has really branched out using electronic drums, more cowbell and wood blocks, etc. I do like Blink and Boxcar. I would NEVER call Travis the best drummer in the world, however he is one of my favorites.

I'm with Drummer95... i too was amazed by him and I still am to an extent.. He is amazing and his skills on a snare are amazing... but sometimes his style can get repetitive i wish i could hear him in a different genre!

I have respect for Travis as well. I think that he truly changed the genre with his innovative and very original drumming. It's not the kind of stuff I listen to often, however I must give him credit for what he has done. At the same time, I agree with those who are saying he doesn't do it for them when compared to Gadd, Weckl, and Colaiuta. But then again, how many musicians can you compare to Gadd, Weckl, and Colaiuta. Plus, they didn't have the influence that he did on the punk scene. He started something new! Props to him!

by the way, has anyone seen his new signature sticks on sale yet. they were going to be same as last ones, but with felt tips at the butt end, so a double purpose stick if you will. they looked pretty cool.

i would like to say first off THERE IS NO NEED TO COMPARE TRAVIS BARKER TO PEOPLE LIKE STEVE GADD! They dont play the same thing. I would also like to say that Travis can play the drums very good. I mean most drummers now adays in the pop typer genres suck. Travis doesnt hes the best in his genre and he can play the kit. Travis is a musicion and hes one of the few real good musicians in his genre and he is 10 times better than tre cool if you actually listen to them both you can realize that!

**Travis is a good drummer especially for a person that plays the now adays music

PiperDrums722 said:
i would like to say first off THERE IS NO NEED TO COMPARE TRAVIS BARKER TO PEOPLE LIKE STEVE GADD! They dont play the same thing. I would also like to say that Travis can play the drums very good. I mean most drummers now adays in the pop typer genres suck. Travis doesnt hes the best in his genre and he can play the kit. Travis is a musicion and hes one of the few real good musicians in his genre and he is 10 times better than tre cool if you actually listen to them both you can realize that!

**Travis is a good drummer especially for a person that plays the now adays music
Travis is good but Tre Cool only plays what fits the music Travis barker does the same but does cool fills Tre also does that I just think Tre has a more punky style to his drumming and I seriously Think Tre Cool is better by far. Tre Cool also has done better in his career as a musician I mean what ever happened to blink-182, and the Transplants just suck..... Boxcar car racer was good but haven't heard from them in a while and Green Day are still going at it!

Of course Travis is going to seem like a so-so drummer when you put him up against people like Steve Gadd and Dennis Chambers. I know he is not the greatest, but he is really good. The point that I am trying to make is that just because there is someone out there better than him doesn't mean he sucks. It just means that there is someone better, thats all. He has an extreme love for the instrument and is obviously dedicated to getting better. You can't put someone down for that.

SpeedFreek291 said:
Of course Travis is going to seem like a so-so drummer when you put him up against people like Steve Gadd and Dennis Chambers. I know he is not the greatest, but he is really good. The point that I am trying to make is that just because there is someone out there better than him doesn't mean he sucks. It just means that there is someone better, thats all. He has an extreme love for the instrument and is obviously dedicated to getting better. You can't put someone down for that.

I agree. theres always going to b sum1 better, at sumthin than u r. But he is a good drummer tho and as said b4 he luvs his instrument and he practises and stuff so u cant put him down for that. Just cause hes succesful shouldnt give other drummers the right to put him down, he luvs wat he does, and that should b enough. He's been out there for a while now and thats great so u should praise him for a good job, but Blinks still goin great for him and just cause transplants and Boxcar racer didnt work out as good as blink doesnt mean u should bag him and say "hey look at boxcar and transplants now where r they now, havent herd them 4 a while" i mean u have heard about blink 182. and u still do. Just cause his other 2 bands rnt as big, i mean really how many hugly succesful bands do u want the guy to b in b4 ull say that hes a good drummer! Name drummers hoo hav been as big and known as him and have made 3 equally, hugly succesful bands! Im not sayin there rnt, i just cant think of any at the moment but tell who there is, make sum suggestions cause there probably will b sum.

Now i said all this and i dont even really listen to blink 182. Like if a blink 182 song comes on the radio, ill listen to it and like it. But i dont buy their albums and stuff. But i said all this because i can see that he luvs wat hes doin, he enjoys it. Plus hes a good drummer i dont think u can deny that, like he has skills. So dont put him down just cause u can. Hes a good drummer, my opinion not great or amazing but real good.

Nuff said.

I think Travis Barker has lots of skill. Just not neccasarily a style. Hes amazing at solo's and songs, but when it all comes down to it Blink's songs arn't totally complicated. I give Trav some credit but I think he needs more of a "Style" If you will.

Will

i know he isnt the most technical, creative, fastest or anything like that, but i do have to say that he does have a differnt sound from most of the other drummers circulating on mtv and some radio stuff. they all sound the damn same. He does have pretty fast hands if you listen to his solos. and he does good bass drum doubles and not to mention his marching band chops. i dont knw if anyone has seen it but he can do one handed rolls. i saw him do it on the craig kilborn show when he preformed with boxcar. and i saw him do it on an australian show a butt load of times during "i miss you". he does seem to be able to adapt well to different styes. i think he did a really good job on box car racer it really showed the other side of his drumming. he pulled some cool beats, fills and outros and interludes. and i think if he played with better musians then those 4/4 punk rockers( no offense to any punkers) that he could really dish out some cool things. Cause when you play with better musians then you can play better. in my opinion.

The most pathetic part of this thread is the spelling and grammar. I can't even understand what some of you guys are trying to say!!!

burnthehero said:
The most pathetic part of this thread is the spelling and grammar. I can't even understand what some of you guys are trying to say!!!
That should have been, "The most pathetic parts of this thread are the spelling and grammar." Your subject and predicate were singular but referred to plural modifiers. Also, the lack of necessity for multiple terminal punctuation points should have been covered in your first day of grammar class.

Attachments

• grammar-hammer.jpg
    grammar-hammer.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,260
Last edited:
DogBreath said:
That should have been, "The most pathetic parts of this thread are the spelling and grammar." Your subject and predicate were singular but referred to plural modifiers. Also, the lack of necessity for multiple terminal punctuation points should have been covered in your first day of grammar class.

LOL. Go Dogbreath! U must've been an A+ at English.

From what I've seen, whether or not somebody likes Travis Barker depends on what side of the drumming "fence" they stand on. Guys that are into technique and fast chops tend to have a pretty good opinion of him. On the other side, guys that are more into the creative aspect of drumming tend to think he's a tool. Since I tend to stand close to the middle(or at least try to), I can appreciate what he offers to the world of drumming.

burnthehero said:
Since I tend to stand close to the middle(or at least try to), I can appreciate what he offers to the world of drumming.
Bravo. It would behoove all of us to attempt to take this attitude. There is so much more to appreciate if we just broaden our horizons. Or at the very least, realize that just because we don't particularly like something doesn't mean that it is inherently bad. Taste is personal. Chances are good that if a drummer is famous enough for you to know his name then a significant number of people are getting something out of his music.

which is a good place to view all drummers well known enough to warrant their own thread here. they wouldn't be well known unless they did the job well. putting down any drummer who is on several records shows a lack of understanding and also reveals a certain jealousy. sometimes a drummer is simply told what to play and has to play what he is told. other times a drummer makes all the decisions. both are valid parts of the craft - with shades between. since we cannot know the actual process leading up to every finished product we cannot really stand in judgement. we can criticise to a degree but always with the humility of people who weren't there.

j

eh for a while when dave lombardo left slayer TRAVIS was asked to replace him so i think thats sayin something

I think Travis is a very good drummer, but he's not one of those drummers who plays ok in the band songs, then plays amazing in the solos. He really lets loose in the songs. I will admit though, its mostly speed. He's very fast, but can also be technical. u have to remember though, it is a punk band. He did get the works when he was young too. Jazz lessons, scholl bands, etc. He's also still young. He'll get better over time. I think he's good.

Back