Steve Hass

I just got the latest from fusion guitarist Jeff Richman. It's with Steve Hass, Vinnie Colaiuta and Will Kennedy.
It's pretty interesting because Hass went with his jazz sound while the other drummers are rocked and fusioned out. I wonder why. Neil Stubenhaus is on bass. I will say Hass' tracks are the most interesting because of that jazz drum sound and jazz approach to Richman's fusion tunes. WOW.

Thanks! I just downloaded Jeff's album from i-tunes. I'm not sure I like the writing. It's weird. you're right though. I love the 2 tracks Steve is on

Hass is on tour again with Manhattan Transfer. Anyone going to any shows? By the reviews of that band, it's only worth seeing for the drum performance.

Steve Hass is a professional studio or touring drummer and producer who's worked with such artist as Cher,John Scofield.I am a very big fan of this drummer.He is a very best drummer in the world.Hass is one of the few drummers in today's music scene able to play with artists in a wide variety of musical genres with authenticity.

Mathias, I read in Modern Drummer and in Steve's bio that his name is actually Stelios Hassapoglou. His legal and real last name is Greek. Also, names have different meanings in different languages. Hass in Hebrew means peace. What's weird is that Hass is actually a common name that is GERMAN. It's Bavarian:
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/hass-family-crest.htm

Why Germans would have that as a last name, I have no idea. For an American though, it's not weird. Have you heard of Hass avocado's? The best in the world.

I love the facebook videos of Hass with Manhattan Transfer. Show's how amazingly versatile he is. The shaker groove is SOOO SOLID! Unbelievable.

I had no idea he is a Greek, that explains his comfort with odd meters. Cool info April thanks. Anyone know Toss Panos? Another monster greek drummer?

Anyone know Toss Panos? Another monster greek drummer?

Yepp, love his work with Michael Landau. Awesome drummer!
DrummingApril said:
Mathias, I read in Modern Drummer and in Steve's bio that his name is actually Stelios Hassapoglou. His legal and real last name is Greek.
Thanks for the info. It's no problem, it's just a bit weird to see this word as a name.

Where did you get the info about hass meaning peace in Hebrew? I just know the word "shalom" for peace, also Hebrew.

I wish toss panos would be on more recordings and gigs. I like him.
Yea April I don't know about Hass meaning peace in Hebrew, but I also don't get the surprise in Matthias. It's a really common name in many languages. Just look it up.
Either way, the guy is a drumming madman and he's always doing something. I love that, and it's inspiring. Many drummers just talk and promote, but Hass is always on the move, and his playing is amazing.

but I also don't get the surprise in Matthias. It's a really common name in many languages. Just look it up.
I didn't say I was surprised, it's just weird to me. There are some names that are weird for German speaking people - like (Richie) Kotzen, which means to puke in German. That's just it. Or Tod, which means death. I'm sure there are some funny examples the other way round.

Anyone hear anything about a jazz cruise where Hass is playing with Manhattan Transfer founding member Janis Siegel in January? Sounds a good chance to combine great music with a nice vaca.

I read on Hass' facebook that he's in the studio with Alan Pasqua, Darek Oles and Bob Mintzer, not sure for what though. Whatever the project, that will be some burning music.

Back