2010 Football World Cup-South Africa

Re: 2010 World Cup-South Africa

Quote....Its the fans, that are the passionate ones, it is them that are Relgious, political, tribal etc... You only have to see how passioate the south american fans are about their teams, and them people go around shooting at each other, just becouase someone surports a differnt team to them.

It is this behavior that I say is childish, and to blame it on religion or politics is just an out for punkish, bullying behavior. It is this behavior that needs to be set aside on game day and let the better team win on that day. You will get another chance another day.

Football = passion, fierce loyalties, tribalism, entertaiment and common ground for many supporters. Of that, there is no doubt. But equating football to religion and politics based on the creation of ONE club in the Scottish league is the longest bow I've ever seen drawn.

If you want to treat it as your religion, that's fine by me..........but drawing parallels between the two for 'all and sundry' is as redundant as it is silly.

For many "football is a way of life"........for many, many more, it's nothing more than another ball game. For me, it's not even my preferred ball game........but I always enjoy the World Cup.

Now back to the game itself, what price Australia......surprised many on the upside 4 years ago......any chance of doing it again??

Quote....Its the fans, that are the passionate ones, it is them that are Relgious, political, tribal etc... You only have to see how passioate the south american fans are about their teams, and them people go around shooting at each other, just becouase someone surports a differnt team to them.

It is this behavior that I say is childish, and to blame it on religion or politics is just an out for punkish, bullying behavior. It is this behavior that needs to be set aside on game day and let the better team win on that day. You will get another chance another day.

I quite agree, i take my three children with me to games, all under the age of 11 years old, the atmosphere is good, and they enjoy it, but when grown men start to swear out loud, and get violent, it makes them worried.

Yes that is very childish behaviour, and that really does have no place in football, espiscally where familys are sitting.

But at the same time, it is a fact of what football is in this country.

The section of crowd that are Childish manly sit in a certain part of the ground, i will sit at the complete opperstie end, but you will still get grown ups swearing their heads of, in front of their kids to.

I agree it is not very nice, and it is childish, but that is what the surporters bring to the game.

Not alot we can do about it, apart from not to turn up, but then surely the morans have won and decent people loose.

This years world cup, is going to be very interesting, i hope England do well after what i have posted in this thread.

3 Lions on your shirt.

Come on England.

Brasil v Ireland (Friendly).

Brasil 2-0 up

Ireland are playing well thou.

England v Eygpt tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Hi yaa Beats.

You have gone a bit quite on this thread.

Yes it was a good game, thought we were in for some trouble when eygpt, three time winners of the Africans nations cup scoured first. But Crouchy, who has had his crtichs done well for us, and is only getting better.

We have a friendly against Mexico and Japan yet before kick in June..

Just some dates and times of the world cup fixtures.

Group C
12/06 20:30 Rustenburg England - USA
13/06 13:30 Polokwane Algeria - Slovenia
18/06 16:00 Johannesburg - JEP Slovenia - USA
18/06 20:30 Cape Town England - Algeria
23/06 16:00 Port Elizabeth Slovenia - England
23/06 16:00 Tshwane/Pretoria USA - Algeria

Group D
13/06 20:30 Durban Germany - Australia
3/06 16:00 Tshwane/Pretoria Serbia - Ghana
18/06 13:30 Port Elizabeth Germany - Serbia
19/06 16:00 Rustenburg Ghana - Australia
23/06 20:30 Johannesburg - JSC Ghana - Germany
23/06 20:30 Nelspruit Australia - Serbia

I'm certainly not thinking England are going to win. We won once, 44 years ago, against half a country. And that was before sky sports came along and basically killed off any romantic notion of the players being one with the fans, and the clubs being part of the communities. Now they're just big businesses who pay ridiculous amounts of money to people for playing just so they can get up in the "premier league" and get a load of people to buy insanely expensive season tickets and t-shirts to get more cash in their pocket. I actually bought a Germany shirt and y'know why? Because it was only £10 in TKMaxx compared to going into an "England" store and paying £50 for the same type of shirt built in indonesia by some peniless kid and then marked up by about 4000% of what it's actually worth. Plus i dunno if you've noticed this, but Germany's shirt has 3 stars on it, which is 3 times more than England. It's amazing how people from across the world think we have the best football in the world when in actual fact we're pretty much useless at it.

I think i am going to have to agree with GD here that it is quite sad how much people in this country "care" about football because none of the people at the top care and very few of the players do either. I think that if people really cared that much about football in this country they should ditch the carconegenic junk food and booze and get their arses down to a local pitch with some mates and make their own bloody football instead of sitting down at their 50" TV station and wasting their lives watching the crap on sky sports.

I think i am going to have to agree with GD here that it is quite sad how much people in this country "care" about football because none of the people at the top care and very few of the players do either. I think that if people really cared that much about football in this country they should ditch the carconegenic junk food and booze and get their arses down to a local pitch with some mates and make their own bloody football instead of sitting down at their 50" TV station and wasting their lives watching the crap on sky sports.

That's overly harsh. I've no doubt that all the players in the England squad have a passion to do well in the world cup. Undoubtedly the money they're on is ridiculous, but it's an industry built upon free market principles - supply and demand. The only way the wages can be sustained is if people turn up and pay the ticket prices. If the fans don't want to pay that much then they're free to boycott matches. If that was done on a national scale things would change. Unfortunately, football is a global industry, there will always be a league with the money to tempt the best players over. The big money keeps the top players in the domestic league.
Mismanagement is another problem altogether, as my local team Pompey found to their ruin. As many fans have said, it would seem a better state of affairs to have teams owned under fan cooperatives, never going to happen in the top flight though.
England to (quite rightly) make the semis, losing on penalties to one of the familiar foes ;)

oh yes. Pompy, now that is a proper club, real club, real fans, passioate club, now those fans do care about their club.

Been down there many years ago with SUFC.

Still, we also been relegated this season, down to League 2.

Went to last game of season on Saturday, still managed to fill 80% of the ground.

But yes. England Semi finals, loosing to penaltys, by shots going over the bar. as usuall

Eddie,

You have spoken your mind plainly and honestly, I admire and respect that.
Also, I do have respect for the German (Deutsch) football team, they fight the game until the end and even if they are defeated, they march with pride and honour out of the pitch.

Cheers...........Ian

I'm certainly not thinking England are going to win. We won once, 44 years ago, against half a country. And that was before sky sports came along and basically killed off any romantic notion of the players being one with the fans, and the clubs being part of the communities. Now they're just big businesses who pay ridiculous amounts of money to people for playing just so they can get up in the "premier league" and get a load of people to buy insanely expensive season tickets and t-shirts to get more cash in their pocket. I actually bought a Germany shirt and y'know why? Because it was only £10 in TKMaxx compared to going into an "England" store and paying £50 for the same type of shirt built in indonesia by some peniless kid and then marked up by about 4000% of what it's actually worth. Plus i dunno if you've noticed this, but Germany's shirt has 3 stars on it, which is 3 times more than England. It's amazing how people from across the world think we have the best football in the world when in actual fact we're pretty much useless at it.

23 days to go.

Footballs coming home.

Millwall 2 - Huddersfield 1

Millwall through to the league one play offs at Wembly.

17 days to go.

England played a friendly tonight against a good mexican squad

England 3 Mexico 1

Mexico played a good game, but they were getting tired towards the end and were just hacking players down.

Come on June 12th.

Watch out Yanks. You will be playing the 2010 world champions.

Last edited:

but i'd rather burn the Union Jack.

Over stepping the mark here rendezvous_drummer

I why are you so hit up on becoming Irish!!!

Because it's fashionable???

Where you are Born is what you are, becoming an Irish Citizen doesn't mean you are suddenly 'Irish'

If a Dog is born in a stable it doesn't make it a Horse now does it??

Plus you are only 'half Irish' I believe from an earlier post............beat you on that mate, both my Parents are Irish..............I was born in England, does that make me Irish.............err No............can I get an Irish Passport...........err YES

But I have a British Passport

I live in Australia, am I now an Aussie...............err No........

Paint it how you want, born in Canada your Canadian........No doubt your Birth was registered there.......

This site has changed abit from where it 1st started, but i love it, i love the argumet.

Anyway 7 days left, till the opening game, and Englands, enentually Victory of the 2010 world cup, so long as it does not go to penaltys..

Only 3 days to go before England give the Yanks a spanking and a lesson in how to play proper football. LOL lots,

How about we let them play the game before you get too big headed?? And speaking of spanking, where were you in 1776??

How about we let them play the game before you get too big headed?? And speaking of spanking, where were you in 1776??

Fair point, lets wait and see what Saturday brings, then i will whoop it up on this thread, when the English come stormin through.

As for 1776, not sure where i was,

But, for what you are on about, it was mainly Englishman and people from the Uk fighting their own kind or if not a generation removed, i think you yanks call it i.e. American/Irish or American/Itailen.
and then trying to get soliders across the atlantic in them days was not like climbing aboard your local cruise ship, and putting your feet up, untill you got there, it was a real matter of "thank gord i made it across alive", so sod this, the last thing i want to do now is go and fight, so instead i will go and build a house.

Last edited:

Be sure to build it on a solid foundation. Pints on the loser.

Back