What kind of metronome do you use?

Ace

I have noticed there isn't a great deal of discussion about metronomes, as far as I can tell at least. As I am actively reading and learning about metronomes, trying to find exactly what I want, I want to pose this question: What metronome are you using? Whether for practice alone, or something you and your group of friends playing in a band are plugging into so you can all follow the click? Can your metronome be programmed for 8 bars of 3/4 transitioning into 4 bars of 7/4 back to 8 more bars of 3/4 into another set of 7/4 and finally to 4/4?

There seem to be plenty of metronomes out there from the plain and simple to the complex (like, am I going to have to take a class on that, man?) ....

Just curious to see what is working well for others no matter the metronome you're using ^_^

Drum Metronome...its freeware on the web, easy download. I run it off my laptop while practicing.

Do a search and you'll find countless threads on this.

I have 2 hardware metronomes one of which gave up (Tama Rhythm Watch). The other one is collecting dust most of the time.
For tempo reference I'm using MP3 clicks that came with an online drumming course that I bought - those are 2-minute MP3's in 5 bpm increments covering a huge speed area.

Haven't considered the computer metronome- there's an idea!
I'll definitely scan through these results from the search engine-doodle and read more on what people are saying. It's a broad topic, haha. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hi ace

I use a DB-30 (Doctor Beat)

Costs like $35-00AUD and is small and really easy to use

Had a sharp beep

Has most common note groupings...1/4, 1/8, 1/16, triplet 8ths, dotted 16ths and odd groupings

I plug it into my vintage stereo upstairs next to my kit and it boots out a real warm tone

I use a Peterson BodyBeat metronome. It's fully programmable . They sucked when they were released, but since they've released patches, I haven't had any problems. Other than that the vibration function is much too subtle to feel when practicing acoustic drums.

same w/ the Peterson BodyBeat. great metronome but my programming setlists / band mate pod set up dreams were never realized. anyone ever done this w/ success ? my setlists changed too often to really use it. plus i wanted name of tunes on each programmed tempo.

my back up is the PolyNome on my iPhone. PolyNome is also great for programming odd rates (& ridiculously slow BPMs). RE rates, when i want to get granular w/ the table of time (Morello) or even weirder polyrhythms. for ex, 10 is 5:2, 14 is 7:2 and 18 is 9:2.

i still have an old (?) Dr. Beat on the shelf for TV pad work.

I really like my TAMA RW105 & have been using it since I started....
have tried a couple others like KORG ones but still cant beat my RW105.
On my phone I use the app simply called "tempo"

For a real Metronome the Tama is a great one for drummers. For basic stuff the computer has free ones and it you have a smartphone they have free apps. They aren't anything special but they work fine.

I've always used physical metronomes (Tama Rhythm Watch and Yamaha Clickstaion), but recently got a brilliant app called Yamaha Metronome on my iPhone. It does everything my Yamaha Clickstation does but cost about £100 less!

Check it out - great features like being able to program in a series of songs and relevant speeds - makes it easy if your playing a bunch of songs to click.

Actually it seems all the metronome apps (iphone) that I have found seem to be free for the bare-bones basic stuff and pay for the more complex features(believe it runs between $1 and $10 for the paid stuff. Also, I some keyboards have a metronome on them.

Fruity Loops. Any tempo, any set of groupings, any sounds I want, plus I can make rhythms with it to play along with if I want. I also sometimes use the preset rhythms on my keyboard. Sure beats tick tock tick tock.

Tama Rhythm Watch RW105

+1..............using this also.....................actually have two

Not sure if you can have different time signatures for 4 bars and then change....................none of the songs I'm playing require that.

Can your metronome be programmed for 8 bars of 3/4 transitioning into 4 bars of 7/4 back to 8 more bars of 3/4 into another set of 7/4 and finally to 4/4?

There are rhythm computers, making sound also.

Is it really too hard to count to 7 or to 3 during some bars?

My Bounce Metronome can do this, here is an example:

More about it here: Programmable Metronome with Automatic Switching of Time Signatures and Tempi (also manual switching with single key press).

You can set any number of measures for each rhythm, set the tempo, also you can do them with accelerating tempi - or a mixture of steady tempi and accelerating tempi.

It's for Windows only (can also run on Linux under Wine). Though I'm hoping to port it to a Mac using a WineSkin / WineBottler, am going to attempt a Kickstarter to raise funds to get a Mac for testing and debugging that.

Back