Coated or Clear Evans EMAD?

(Future)DWdrummer

I'm searching around for a new bass drum head. The bass drum on the drum set at my church has an Evans EMAD, and the thing's a CANNON :D

I really want to get an EMAD for my 22" DW Collector's Series bass drum.

But I'm curious, what are the main differences between a CLEAR emad head and a COATED emad head. Obviously they look different, but do they each give a different sound?...

Jacob

I love the coated EMAD for classic sounds where I leave the drum wide open, but also use the clear where I need a little more attack (whether the drum is open or not.)

I guess those are the differences - clear has a little more bite, coated is a little mellower.

Note that most shops don't stock the coated version, so it will probably be a special order.

Bermuda

I love the coated EMAD for classic sounds where I leave the drum wide open, but also use the clear where I need a little more attack (whether the drum is open or not.)

I guess those are the differences - clear has a little more bite, coated is a little mellower.

Note that most shops don't stock the coated version, so it will probably be a special order.

Bermuda

Awesome thanks for the help! :D

Im not really a fan of the coated emads really...they don't even spray the coating on the whole head, starting just inside the dampening system....

Im not really a fan of the coated emads really...they don't even spray the coating on the whole head, starting just inside the dampening system....

The reason we do this is to make sure that the ring stays adhered to the film of the head. The coating around the rest of the head provides the warm response that one would expect out of a coated bass drum head.

Cheers!

The reason we do this is to make sure that the ring stays adhered to the film of the head. The coating around the rest of the head provides the warm response that one would expect out of a coated bass drum head.

Cheers!

Yeah I thought so! Thanks! Big evans fan here! And Im currently accepting old new stock and demo heads!!!! lol

Back