...for the jazz cats ...

Thanks a lot!
Can you tell ho can i post a new post?
Thanks again!

at the top of each discussion forum page there is a blue button on the top left that says New Thread

if you are going to post this it would go in "your playing " which is in "your place"

For the last 24 hours, I've been listening to this non-stop. Not that it's exactly a secret that this is a great album, but it's incredible how a great record like this can be rewarding for a lifetime of listening. The music is so rich and the depth of conception so advanced that every listen reveals something new.

This has to be the greatest rhythm section of all-time for me. I just can't get enough. And my goodness, Blue Note around this time was just hitting home runs in every plate appearance. This is one of the very best.

empyreanisles-300x298.jpg

For the last 24 hours, I've been listening to this non-stop. Not that it's exactly a secret that this is a great album, but it's incredible how a great record like this can be rewarding for a lifetime of listening. The music is so rich and the depth of conception so advanced that every listen reveals something new.

This has to be the greatest rhythm section of all-time for me. I just can't get enough. And my goodness, Blue Note around this time was just hitting home runs in every plate appearance. This is one of the very best.

empyreanisles-300x298.jpg

one of the first jazz records I bought on vinyl.....going to give it a listen today

such a great record .......and a rhythm section that is indeed hard to beat

Originally Posted by 8Mile
For the last 24 hours, I've been listening to this non-stop. Not that it's exactly a secret that this is a great album, but it's incredible how a great record like this can be rewarding for a lifetime of listening.

It might not be a secret...but I hadn't heard (or heard of) it until now, so thank you for posting! I had to go right to my Spotify player and search it out, and it was indeed there! Just transitioned to the third track, and I'm loving it.

Nice. That's how it's done, people. One record, over and over.

my favorite way to listen

most of the time alone....but occasionally my wife will be there and I will say something like....my god did you hear that ???....and she will reply with something like.....yes babe Ron Carter and Tony Williams are badasses, I know.....

she knows me too well

:)

she is a musician as well ...but not as much into jazz as I am ....but recently I caught her humming Saturday and Sunday by Jackie McLean while working at the computer

it's rubbing off

Tony....dang.

A lot of times, I just don't 'get' Tony Williams but I've been trying to understand him more lately. Not really always my style.

However, THIS tune is just swingin'. Amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bisN-z_4CnA

And is that really his right foot during his solo? I have some work to do...

Would love to hear Trane play drums. I hear Chick Corea is also a good player.

Of course, then there's Jan Hammer, who doesn't even play drums but plays them at a world-class fusion level.

I hate people like that.

I was hoping to start a discussion on a particular style of jazz playing that I haven't seen discussed very often. I'm talking the almost open rubato tunes where everyone is sorta playing on their own time and it sounds like a wall of sounds, some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOHBIjf_4x8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfR84za80ag

This one is just ridiculously intense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHh6t3OK0Do

Perhaps someone could shed some light as to how this style of playing came about.

I don't know what it's "officially" called - that's the problem with labels.
I also don't know the evolution, except that one can argue all roads lead to Miles.
Anyway, I refer to it as "contemporary" jazz

I love the Hekselman and Branford discs. I haven't heard that one by Kenny Garret, thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Great links there, Numberless-- I hadn't heard any of those before. Most people just call that rubato; Hal Galper calls it furious rubato. It's a free jazz thing that started with Ornette or Coltrane, I think, and got refined and prettied up by the early ECM guys. It's a major part of my thing, but it's hard for me to find much to say about it. I call it free time because when I was figuring it out nobody around me was doing it, and I had to call it something.

Back