trigger newbee needs some help

sandinista

Hey all, I just bought a new bass drum trigger and module with all the cords and such. I am totally new with triggers, just wanted to give them a try (after seeing Behemoth live). Anyway, I have tried a number of times to get it to work and have had NO luck at all. So, what I have is:

roland rt-10k kick trigger
roland tmc-6 trigger midi converter

and from there I have a presonus firepod and we record with logic pro (mac)

So, as far as connections go, I understand I run a cord from the trigger to the module...and then not sure. The midi cord I have has a midi in/midi out and a USB out (in one cord). Do I go from the module midi out to the firepod midi in and then USB into the mac? Once it is hooked up, not sure how to use logic to read the trigger. I know this is a lot to ask, I have looked all over the net for info and it is hard to find. Mostly just people showing off their triggers and how they sound, not a lot about connections. Thanks tons (of metal) for any help!!

I am not familiar with the TMC-6 but i did look it up online. The TMC-6 is a pad to midi interface, unlike most Roland "brains" which come with on-board sound sources (roland i believe uses synth based drums as opposed to samples). You need to hook the device up to either a synth with drum sounds on it (via MIDI cable) or directly to your computer. You need SOFTWARE if you are just trying to go into your computer with the TMC-6, the unit is getting triggered by the acoustic triggers you have on your kit but then it doesn't know what to do with that signal. You need drum software for it to "talk" to like one of these:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/software/virtual-instruments/drum-percussion

The TMC-6 basically just functions to turn your kit into an active midi controller. If you want to primarilly use it for live triggering to be played through a PA, it's mainly just used to "expand" other modules that already have built in sound.

Oh and welcome to the forum ;)

I think I have all the proper software...I am trying to get into Logic and use..I think its called beatmaster to arm the trigger. I can't even get the Mac to read that I have a module plugged into it at all. The cord I am using is three headed...midi in midi out and a usb...maybe I'm hooking it up wrong. I'm going from module midi out to midi in in back of firepod and then pluggin the usb into the mac. Nothing reads at all...can't find the module or how to connect it with a drum program.

oh yah, and thanks for the welcome....this is truly driving me mad...I should have ordered a module with built in sounds I guess, bunch of people told me to get this one though so I can constantly update sounds instead of being limited. At this point limited seems pretty good!

Doesn't your owner's manual have a line schematic of "how to hook everything up"? Or maybe try contacting Roland tech support on the phone. They probably have a 1-800 number on the website.

Did you run the cord from you kick drum to the proper channel in the TMC6? ex: there are 5 slots in the back, each slot is assigned a certain trigger / drum have you tested all of the slots? Also... I don't know if the TMC6 supports normal triggers, I think it needs the roland v drum triggers? maybe...
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-TMC6-Trigger-MIDI-Converter?sku=442374
"Uses V-Drums technology for reliable and ultrafast triggering"

So, I don't know if this means that only V drums can be used by it, or any MIDI interface...

I would really check out the owner manual.

if you're still having problems then message me and i'll sort you out.

TMC6 supports all triggers. redshots, whatever. tbh if anyone actually needs a trigger then i'd suggest getting an alesis dm5 unit and a ddrum redshot kick trigger.

all you need to do is put the trigger on your kick and plug it into input 1. set it up as a kick with the lcd panel and then choose your sample. then you can run a cable out of the trigger unit and it can DI straight into a patchbay if you so wish. kind of redundant for me as i used an e-kit live, but yeah.

Back