shoes for double pedaling

I have the popular All-Star Converse shoes which I use for playing drums and they are quite unique... Right shoe has the Slipknot tribal "S" and the left shoe has the August Burns Red band logo. I feel comfortable when wearing those during my plays.

I can play in any kind of shoe as long as I have shoes on. I hate playing barefoot, or in socks. I usually wear the Chuck Taylors too, but I also wear the cheap Wal Mart slip ons, and any kind of tennis shoe works.

I used just socks for the longest time, on Axis longboards, and never had a problem with slipping. tried using my Vans Iron Maiden Hi-tops, which work pretty good, but never got into them. Right now I'm using combat boots, liking them pretty good, keep flip-flopping over whether I want to keep the weight there, but I'm sticking with it right now.

I really wanna try some of these:
images

MrPockets, that was a good laugh...

I prefer barefoot really, but it only works for say 10-15 mins because as I get sweaty the pedals become slippery and that really doesn't work for me since my technique is largely dependent on friction between my foot and the pedal.

So, I use shoes similar to these:
alberola-slipon-loafers-01.jpg

I used just socks for the longest time, on Axis longboards, and never had a problem with slipping. tried using my Vans Iron Maiden Hi-tops, which work pretty good, but never got into them. Right now I'm using combat boots, liking them pretty good, keep flip-flopping over whether I want to keep the weight there, but I'm sticking with it right now.

images

I play Longboards as well, let me tell you those Vibrams toe shoes are great for about everything BUT double bass. Not enough oomph behind them, especially if you are used to heavy footwear like combat boots.

I currently use these Adidas Samba Originals canvas:

7646348.jpg

I've used Adidas Sambas of all kinds (originals, classics, suede, leather, canvas) for the better part of my drumming career and I have to say that they are far and away my favorite drumming shoe. Great grip, flat sole, the canvas breathes well and the laces are nice and strong for a tight fit. Plus they look f-ing classy and aren't too expensive!

I'm really not used to anything at this point. Just had a baby in January and I barely get to touch my drums anymore :(

I kind of flop back and forth between just socks and combat boots. I can't see the toe shoes having any less "oomph" than just my sock feet.

I kind of abandoned heel-toe for the combat boots, and I'm wondering if I should bring it back instead of cheating it with the left foot.

Well, used a gift card I won to go buy myself some toe-shoes, and I love 'em for drumming. it's almost like going barefoot, but with some added protection.

Converse Chuck Taylor All Star high tops:
Converse+Allstar+Black.jpg

The high-tops support my ankles, and the thin rubber sole helps me feel and grip my pedals perfectly. And they look awesome too, which is great for live playing.

+1......gotta love Chucks

My all time favorite drumming shoes are the H Streets by Puma. These are very lightweight and thin. The soles are very thin.....you can "feel" the pedals in these shoes. I believe that thick soles, like the Pumagility shoes, are a no-no. The thinner, the more flexible, the better. Now, this is just me......as you know, this stuff is VERY subjective. But I swear by these sneakers:

http://bit.ly/MCVqOb

Should I wear a hat while double-pedalling or not? I can see the advantages, but feel the extra unwanted insulation might lower my max bpm by 1 or 2 in warmer weather.

images

I was waiting for someone to mention Vibrams...I'm looking to be ordering my first pair shortly...but for outdoor use, not drumming :D

On topic, I used Puma indoor soccer shoes when I started, after those wore out I could never find another shoe that worked right, so now I play in socks or barefoot. I love all the feel I get that I never had with shoes :)

Back