My favorite sticks

KzSgDrummer said:
I gotta go with Wegadrummer on this one - Vic Firth Boleros. I first discovered them when I was doing orchestral work since that's more or less what they're made for, but I just started using them on drum set. Thick so they fil out my also-small hands but incredibly lightweight and a great focused tip. Now if only maple didn't break so damn easy.....

yeah, i know they break easy.. i have been thinking of changing to Ziljian 7a.. the tip is almost like the boleri but the stick is thinner.. but, we will see what will happend..

Wegadrummer said:
i have been thinking of changing to Ziljian 7a.. the tip is almost like the boleri but the stick is thinner.. but, we will see what will happend..

I have allways been so disappointed with Zildjian sticks... I like their feeling, but they break so quickly.

And I'm no heavy hitter at all. The Regal tip 5As that I use now last me forever

I've tried both the Gadd and Weckl signatures and like them both. I just don't like paying for them. Lately I've been going through 2 - 3 pairs a week.

I've pretty much settled on the Firth 5B both in wood and nylon and still use 5As a lot also.

Peter Erskine Signature Ride Stick
256342.jpg

They're fairly light, but thick, with an itty-bitty bead. I love them.

I seem to have settled in on hardware, heads, and cymbals but sticks are always an on-going experiment with me. Not sure what's up with that... Guess I'm still searching for that magic pair that feel like a natural extension of my arm. Currently the subjects of my experiment are all Pro-Mark:

AUTOTX420N.jpg
AUTOPW747W.jpg
AUTOTX5ABW.jpg
JOW5A.jpg

P.S. They are all lovingly wrapped with Ahead stick tape so that I don't end up putting someone's eye out during a show!

I like the Jack DJ's also along with the Gadd's, I have the same problem with the slipping, I found that litly sanding them with 180 grit helps alot. That solved that problem for me. Careful not to sand to much or you'll end up with blistter's. Just litely rough them up, I dont even get past the paint, just gives a better grip.

I really like the red adrian young signiture sticks, they are just the right weight for me, around 5B me thinks....i also like vic firth of course, 5A and higher.

Re: what sticks do u use

RTDRUMS said:
Just wondering what brand and size stick everyone is using.
Lately I have been using Vic Firth SD1 general. I know they are more of an orchestral stick but I love the way they feel plus there made out of maple.

Me and you use the same stick. I love them, and I will never change my choice, they are my stick choice.

I like Vic Firth 8d and 7a. I'm going to try Vater's sticks, though. I've heard Vater is really good.

i've tried a lot of sticks but my favorite are the Pro-marck 5b Nylon : very confortable and balanced, durable and the Tip give a really nice sound

I have been using Promark 737 wood tip now for about 17 years. I tried to find a comparable stick (as I have to buy them in bricks because the drum store that I go to won't bring them otherwise) but after 4 months, nothing. :-( $150 CAN later, I now have brick of 737s!!! Enough sticks for a couple of years!

Back