Steve Jordan

Dr Drums

Pioneer Member
On of the biggest groove masters on earth !
He's laying the groove straight into the pocket.

Steve is the man! Definately one of the best if not the best funk drummers out there. He can put down some incredible grooves that just drip with feeling. I have always enjoyed listening to him. I am very glad Drummer World has a page devoted to him, he definately deserves it. One of my favorite pieces of work that he has done is the live "Briefcase Full of Blues" record by the Blues Brothers. A lot of people thought they were a joke, but that was one amazing band. Steve has some great grooves and awesome fills on this album. It is one if my favorite albums to play along with. Do you remember him as the original drummer on the "David Letterman Show"? I used stay up late back in high school just to see him play. Truly a master.

Last edited:
My kind of drummer. Solid time, great sonic choices and phrasing. Showy when he needs to be, but never over the top. And he just looks like he's having a blast.

My thoughts exactly.

That video of him grooving with the keys and guitar is awesome.

One of the best around! His playing has a phenomenal feel and his groves are as tight as can be. The term "in the pocket" should have been coined for him.

John Mayer Trio Live!

And please set aside any anti-Mayer vibe you might have going. This album should have won a Grammy or two.

thanks amazing stuff there. i have some blues brothers(rubber biscuit) followed by the trio.

He and Willie Weeks are the rhythm section supporting Eric Clapton on his tour. Looking forward to Nottingham in May!

anyone know whats songs he plays on with keith richards-talk is cheap?

Steve is a very cool guy, one of the greats. I ran into him in Grand Central Station a couple of months ago - he was very nice to me.

I really love his playing on Try!

Ok Stu. I gave a listen to some *borrowed* live tracks and the recording was awful. Did I happen to listen to some bootlegs or is this the actual recording that's being sold?

Stu_Strib said:
John Mayer Trio Live!

And please set aside any anti-Mayer vibe you might have going. This album should have won a Grammy or two.

mine sound like that, its pretty bad, but i crank up the volume for it

i see he uses maple but does anyone know if its maple custom or absolute maple? i think its maple custom

moe.ron said:
i see he uses maple but does anyone know if its maple custom or absolute maple? i think its maple custom

According to a recent Modern Drummer Magazine story Steve plays a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit with wood hoods.

The drumset of a true groove master.

Anyone who likes Steve Jordan has got to check out John Scofield's album "That's What I Say" -- Jordan is smoking on that one!!!! What a fabulous drummer.

Steve Jordan blew me away on the John Mayer Trio cd. He's a fantastic drummer and has great feel. One of my favorites.

Jordan made my jaw drop when I heard him on the John Mayer Trio Live disc. The sounds he gets are phenomenal. I practice along with that disc all the time for 'feel' ideas and to groove hard. I knew he was great, this just adds to his cred.

cheers.

Back