Todd Sucherman here!

Hey Todd,

I just got home from the AMAZING drum clinic you did at Long & MacQuade (Edmonton), and I just wanted again to say thanks so much for being such an inspiration to me.

I really appreciate you taking the time to come out to Edmonton and show us young'uns all a thing or two.

Thanks again so much!

-Jonathan

Hey Todd,

I just got home from the AMAZING drum clinic you did at Long & MacQuade (Edmonton), and I just wanted again to say thanks so much for being such an inspiration to me.

I really appreciate you taking the time to come out to Edmonton and show us young'uns all a thing or two.

Thanks again so much!

-Jonathan

...Ditto.

And also thank you for showing us old dogs a few new tricks.

What can I say that has not already been said.

This time around, rather than sit and shoot from one fixed spot, I wondered around the shop and took my pictures from a few different angles. in doing so, I had a better chance to observe the crowd, and get a feel for its reaction. Very very positive.

I went into this clinic a big fan of Todd the drummer, I walked out a bigger fan of Todd the regular guy.

Once again Todd, thank you for the great clinic. I hope that you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Barry

@baz ...cool photos, man! Although it's a just a still, a moment that lasts only for a split-second, one can see so many things going on behind a drumset...beautiful!

Todd...

I must say that back in Ittervoort, when you were pausing for a second during your performance on stage and you were thinking about what track to play as a bonus...I almost couldn't help myself yelling "Play "Raven""...I was just thinking, that it would be great if you incorporated a song or two of Taylor's songs in your clinics (maybe you do..and I just don't know). They all contain so many subtle musical details and are wonderful to listen to. And it's a real treat to watch you play them...

Cheers and thanks again, for you coming over!

From Salzburg,

Andreas

Hey Todd, been away from DW for a bit but wanted to say hi!

I FINALLY got my hands on your signature Promark stick... WOW, if I had to write only ONE thing about them, it's that they practically play themselves. I have never had a stick that felt so well-balanced and so effortless to play. Great quality from Promark as usual - these sticks take a real beating too!

Normally, I'm more of a fan of a 5A/5B diameter but the .600 wasn't too overbearing - probably b/c I'm also used to playing VF SD9 Drivers, which are .610.... The stick still felt great in the hand. I think if I were to customize it even more to my own personal perfection, I would make it Maple, .575 diameter, and 16.25 in length....

Still a wonderful product and I'll be sure to keep em in my bag.. good job Todd!

Dominick

Jonathan--

Thanks for the kind words and for making it out to the clinic. Cool to meet you and hope to see you again! Glad you enjoyed it.

Barry---

Likewise. And great pics! Thanks.

Andreas---

Glad you dig Taylor's songs. I guess I felt I had to pull out some more "obvious" playing with it being my first European drum festival performance and all, but I appreciate the vote of confidence in the material.

Dominick---

That's great to hear. I'm happy the sticks are working for you. I was an SD9 Driver guy myself in the 80s, so they have somewhat of a similar build. I appreciate your feedback and hope they continue to feel good.

Thanks to you all-

Cheers from Niagara Falls (right out my window as I type)
Todd

Todd

I have been a fan of your work in STYX for a long time.

Your DVD "Methods & Mechanics" is first class in every aspect!

It would be great if someday you would do a clinic at Dales Drum Shop in PA (5 star drum shop) - you will pack the place!

Cliff Van Buren

Hey Todd!

Do you have any tips on tuning when it comes to 12" toms? They always seem to be the hardest drums to tune! I never get mine to sound good. FRUSTRATING!

Thanks in advance!

Cliff---

Thanks for the kind words! If you'd like Dale's shop to have me in, they will have to request me through Pearl/Sabian. That's how it works---I don't choose where I do them! I have to be invited. Hope they will at some point.

DTrocks---

There are many factors involved. The drum (shell material, thickness, depth) and then choice of heads. I'm a clear Ambassador guy on toms--top and bottom. The better the drum, the wider the sweet spot is where the drum wants to sing. I start with the bottom head and go evenly lug to lug. I do the same with the top and I tune the bottom heads slightly higher in pitch than the top. I always use my ears and never use any gizmos for tuning. Just keep at it and I'm sure it'll get easier. Hope I've helped in some way.

Cheers from Salt Lake City,
Todd

I am there in Clearwater Florida Saturday night. Nine rows back, stage left. See you there.

Todd got one question. I watched your DVD where you open with a tune from Jerry Goodman Tears of Joy. I know this is from his Ariel album, but the version on the CD is completely different. Was the version that you played written only for the DVD or is it recorded? Thanks

Todd, I own a number of DVD's from various artists that claim to be 'Teaching" but really are just showcasing their talents. In my humble opinion your DVD is by far the best on so many levels!!! I have to say, your regular guy personality combined with super talent really sets this DVD in a catagory of its own. You seem approachable, and down to earth, with an easy going teaching style that makes even the most complex Ideas managable to us, little guys. I've watched it several times and have learned a ton!!! Just thanks.....Hope to meet you someday.

P.S. Is Taylor working on a new album? Lullagoodby was fantastic!

Hey Todd...

Hope you're fine and healthy!

You know you inspired me tons and I'm not even gonna bother you with my rambling about 1996 anymore...

MM has taught me one more thing: Finally I want to start playing doublebass. For accents - I find it very appealing they way you utilize it and I'm at a point now with my play where I'm really satisfied with what I'm able to do with my right foot and I think about what possibilites my left foot might open up.

My question to you: I'm thinking about getting a danmar pad. Well, you use what looks like a single-pad. Is it because you think the larger double-pad would dampen the head too much?

Thanks, Todd! And all the best for your Dvd....I sense that something is cooking as I'm writing..

Cheers,

A. from Bavaria

Gruntersdad---

Hope you enjoyed the show in Clearwater.

SimSalaBim--

Jerry recorded that drumless version for me. He's a pal of mine.

stillgroovin'--

I really appreciate the compliments! Lovely to hear, and I'm filming dvd# 2 in about 2 weeks or so, so thanks for the positive reinforcement. As for Taylor, her 2nd record came out last year called "Under the Surface." There is holiday pricing on her website with the new one and Lullagoodbye at only $10 each! (Makes great holiday gifts, huh?) Link here.....and thanks again!

http://taylormills.com/

Andreas---

Thanks as always for the kind words. And yeah, I think the large Danmar is too much stuff on the head. I kind of like the slight sound difference between the two, so I don't mind it and it all works out.
Thanks again!

Cheers,
Todd

Hi Todd,

Still enjoying and learning from your DVD, two years on.

You really should patent your advice on tom/bass drum combination fills (3 up/ 2 down etc). This clarified the issue so clearly for me after many years of messing around!

Anyway, great to see you are playing in my home city, Newcastle, UK, next summer.

I work as a journalist on the big evening newspaper in the city, and wonder, leading up to the show, if it would be possible to do a phone interview with you for the paper.

I did this with Gavin Harrison last year and was able to write a nice story about him and his band.

I remember he sent me a private message, with the details of a contact at his record company - and we took it from there.

If we could fo that, great - if not, no problem.

Cheers...

Hey, I was just watching one of your Demon Drive videos on the 'Tube and I was wondering first if you're still using them, second, how they're holding up, and third, what your opinion is of them now that you've been on them for awhile.

I really appreciate you being on here and answering questions, its great that you interact in the community like this! Thanks!

supermac---

Thanks for the kind words! Feel fee to PM me and we can take it from there.

LukeSnyder--

I switch back and forth between the DDs and the Elims. I change them like snares or ride cymbals---what ever I'm feeling that day.

Linear--

Thanks, man!

To anyone in the St. Louis area, I'll be doing a clinic at Mozingo Music. Details here:
http://www.mozingomusic.com/toddsucherman/

Cheers,
Todd

LukeSnyder--

I switch back and forth between the DDs and the Elims. I change them like snares or ride cymbals---what ever I'm feeling that day.

Cheers,
Todd

Thats very interesting! In your opinion, are there strengths and weaknesses between the two? Also, do you find that playing with the Demon Drives make some of your vocabulary easier to play, and vice versa with the Eliminators?

Back