Zildjian Crash/Ride?

I use a 20 K Custom Dark Ride that I can crash and ride on. I also had a beautiful Light Ride from the 70s that was very cool. Perhaps you should check out the 21 Sweet Ride?

I own the Zildjian 18" K Crash-Ride. I don't ride on it, and don't know what you expect in that regard, but it is a wonderful, full, heavy sounding crash. I liked it so much, I traded in the Zildjian A 18" Medium-Thin crash I had, and I never do that sort of thing. I also own a 17" K Dark-Thin crash, and compared to that, the Crash-Ride is more shimmery and not as trashy sounding. It may be the best crash I have ever owned.

I know I always recommend Sabian, and I am about to do it again. Check out the AA El Sabor 18". I use mine as a crash and a ride. It has the best bell I have ever heard or played. The ride sound is washy, but it does have ping. As for a Zildjian, check out the K Crash Ride. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
I failed to mention I was looking for a smaller left side cymbal, around 18 or 19 inches.

I know you mentioned 18 or 19" cymbals, but I wouldn't let 1" get in my way if I found the sound I wanted in a 20", lol. A 20" cymbal is only 1/2" wider on each side. I agree with Bo, I use a Zildjian K Custom 20" dark ride that I accent a lot. It can also handle a little more stick if you want it to crash. Other than that, look at the 18" K crash/rides.

Dennis

I use the Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride and that thing is amazing! It's so versatile! and I also heard the Zildjian K crash ride and Meinl Byzance series are amazing!

Zildjian probably should have classified the Sweet Ride as a crash/ride. Lots of people have positive things to say about it in that area.

I like most all of the K's I've tried, but don't know any of them well enough to give a specific recommendation.

I have a 20" K Crash/Ride that does both pretty well, though I only use it for a crash in my rock projects.

But if you're looking for something smaller, I could recommend to you a 19" K Medium Thin Dark Crash. It has many of the same characteristics as my 20 K CrR, but smaller. Unfortunately, Zildjian stopped making them a couple years ago and they're not that easy to find. I actually have two of them (saved a search on eBay and 6 months later finally found one and won it; the other happened to show up on Craigslist a few weeks later).

I would be willing to part with the one more suited to what you're looking for. PM me if you're interested.

Ive been playing the 20' K crash ride for a few months as my main left side crash, and I love it. I play in a rock n roll/ indie rock band. I use a 21' A sweet ride on my right side and thats it. The two are very similar in tone, although the sweet ride is louder/harsher, it also is an amazing crash/ride. Very heavy. The 20' K is lighter but sounds amazing. I dont like too much of a difference in tone between my left and right side so these two are a winning combo for me. I youre looking for a lot of ping, I wouldnt reccomend either of these cymbals. But for a nice blend of wash and attack these are great. Get the 20' K, you'll love it.

Maybe look in to the Zildjian Armand "Beautiful Baby" Ride. It's 19".

I use one on my left side. It might work for you...with or without the rivets.

i use the new 2013 20'' Zildjian A Medium Ride as a left side ride/crash. mine is super thin and sounds incredible.

The Sabian 'jazz ride' is also very crashable. Paiste giant beats are cool too.

I have an 70s A Zildjian 20" crash-ride (2020 gms). It's very washy and hard to control as a ride. On the other hand, it's pitched low, and doesn't have the attack of a crash. It has a nice sounding bell and swells VERY well with mallets though. So its neither a crash nor a ride. It is what it is, a very unique cymbal which sidesteps classification.

I played the 19" K Constantinople yesterday and was very impressed.

Also check out the Istanbul Mel Lewis 19" Crash/Ride.

Back