A Steady Snare Stand...

HipshotPercussion

...is all I want. One that doesn't rock, sway, shimmy, or vibrate. One that stays at the height and angle I set it at and doesn't swivel around. One where the bolts don't strip the second time I break it down and set it up again....

You get the idea. I've probably had a dozen different snare stands over the past half dozen years. Ludwig, Gibraltar, Mapex, Tama, Pearl, Sound Percussion. (Hey, SPs get great reviews on Musicians Friend.) Only one that came close to working the way I've always thought one should was a Yamaha I used in China, and I couldn't find its equivalent when I came back to the U.S.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Are DWs as solid as I've heard? I've avoided DW hardware out of principle - they just seem way too expensive. But I'll pry my old wallet open if they really, really, really work.

Thanks!

Ludwig, Gibraltar, Mapex, Tama, Pearl, Sound Percussion.

Of that lot I'm familiar with Gibraltar, Tama and Pearl. If you can't find something out of those three to securely house a snare, I'm wondering if you're expecting too much out of a snare stand?

Sure, DW make great hardware.....but so do Pearl, Tama and Gibraltar. If you couldn't find anything there to satisfy, I'm not sold that DW will be up to the job either.

Last edited:
Assuming you need a standard size snare stand for drumset playing, I would look at Yamaha hardware. I just bought their 700 series snare stand and I'm pleased with the construction for the price.

You may want to look into their 800 or even the 900 series stands. Good luck to you in your search.

Most of the manufacturers that you mentioned have good hardware, just don't buy the cheapest stand that anyone of them makes. I own DW, Yamaha, Pearl, Tama and a few others and they're all very sturdy and stay put. The snare stands I have all have double bracing for a slightly heavier footprint.

Dennis

I have at least 7 different snare stands in all different qualities and price ranges and I have never had a stability problem with any of them. Are you playing on a moving vehicle or a shaky stage or what?

Maybe it's my crooked perception of the universe, but I can't for the life of me find a snare stand that adjusts, simply, to be level. And that doesn't have at the least, a slightly shaky basket.

Except that Yamaha in China.

These answers are telling me that I'm probably just being a cheap-ass and should raise my spending limit past $49.95. (Only a small joke there, I admit.) If by spending a little more money I'll be happier in the long run, I'll give it a try and report back later. (But I'll do my best to come up with something to grouse about 'cuz that's me.)

Muchas Gracias--

Cheap-ass Percussion

Nice kit like that (in your avatar) and you're using cheap stuff?

Actually, I'm not sure you're using cheap stuff. But I do think maybe you're asking too much of your hardware. I've owned light Yamaha stuff to the super heavy DW stuff and none of it moved around or stripped out as you say your stuff has. The DW stand was especially bulky and didn't budge at all, but then now you're carrying around a stand that weighs quite a bit more. I have a Pearl S-900 snare stand and as far as flatness goes, because of it's designed, there is a flat point (I tested this with a bubble level, too). So, maybe you do need to spend more money to get the stability you need. Get the heavy DW one ;)

Nice kit like that (in your avatar) and you're using cheap stuff?
I've always been like that. Top of the line Onkyo stereo receiver w/near bottom of the line speakers, for example, because I felt guilty for spending so much on the receiver and resented having to pop for just as much for the speakers I really wanted.

Of course, eventually I got better speakers - after blowing out the cheap ones. And now I'll make myself get better hardware.

Maybe I am tougher on things than most people. Physically, I'm very strong, the kind of guy who overtightens, bends things too far, etc., always without intending to...and always forgetting that I have that capability. Maybe that's the key here. Or one of them anyway.

Thanks, Bo.

I also use a Pearl 900 series stand. Very sturdy, doesn't move and as Bo mentiond you can make it flat. You mentiond useing a Sound Percussion stand. I also have one of those i use to put my 12" Tom in. I've never had any issues with it breaking down on me or moving around on stage or otherwise. Hope ya find something that works for ya! Look into some more expensive stands and i beleive you'll be satisfied.

Gibraltar ultra adjust solved all my issues.

I have the pearl 900 its solid as a rock. never had any problems with stability or stripped screws. Not sure how much it is though because i bought it used.

My DW 5300 snare stand performs perfectly. DW charges a premium price for their hardward, but I have no issues with any of it. I also like the Pearl 900 model (e.g. the basket has great flexibility).

GJS

You guys have just about convinced me to get the Pearl S-900. I have a lot of Tama hardware - good, solid double tom stand, a couple of very steady and reliable Roadpro hi-hat stands - and was thinking of getting a Roadpro snare stand. Then I read this Musicians Friend review:

"I used to use DW hardware but I've switched over to Tama. This stand is really great for the price. It's sturdy and I haven't really had any problems with it. I use one for my rack tom and one for my snare. My only complaints are that (for my snare) it would be nice if it went a little lower and it tends to lean to one side a little bit, but it's no big deal. I'd recommend this stand."

The leaning to one side issue is the most pervasive one I've had with other stands, The kind of thing that just gnaws at me. So if I can check out a Pearl 900 locally and plant one of my snares in so it's level, that'll be the one.

I'll let y'all know what happens.

I haven't had problems with any of the several stands I've used being unstable, but it IS tough to find one that will sit perfectly level, for some reason. It puzzles me why it is so difficult. Anyway, I've always found a workaround - if playing matched I tilt the drum slightly away from my torso, if playing trad I like it tilted a-la Buddy or Louis anyway...

It does sound like the Pearl 900 will do what you want.

I have a couple Pearl S2000, and the S1000D (low) stands. They are heavy duty, solid as a rock, and everything stays where you put it.
Either will go perfectly flat easily.

I also have a Gibraltar ultra Adjust and that stand is the same as the Pearl in quality/use.

The heavy duty DW would work for you too. I have a few of those, and they more than do the job--and go flat.

I use the SS950 now:
ss950-ef543855aea20664362f9f90c9f5646f.jpg

Rock solid, centre basked, lighter material then its predessecor, easy to adjust with small innovative additions like quick removable top, spikes and its design itself.

Before this model I used the SS-930:
SS930.jpg

Also rock solid but off centre and heavier. Advantage of this is that you can mount the basket (witch I still have) on a standard tomarm for different uses like on racks, as a laptop/mixerstand and more. Unfortunatly discontinued but pop ups now and then on second hand sites.

For toms and sidesnares I use an SS750:
DFEBAB1F35DD4ABDBAEF77487A1EC992_12001.jpg

Lght yet sturdy and free setting of the basket angle.

Back