John Bonham

Re: John Bonham ???

Thinshells said:
That's the "Smurf" way to use the name. I was also thinking of that old SNL skit with the superfans.

"What if John Bonham was coaching the bears?" "They'd win 114 to negative 20!"

Yeah, I stole that from FG. Good catch. Aight...Coach Ditka versus a hurricane. HOLD ON HOLD ON. The name of the hurricane is...hurricane Ditka.

John Bonham - Fool In The Rain (Snare Accents)

alright on MSN people have been asking me to tab out the fool in the rain snare solo thing. Now I can play it, I dont think its note for note, I mean i just improvise, but read this and make it groove like that and see how yea like it.

R l r l R l r L r L r l R L r l

I dont think its right but if you make that groove it sounds pretty cool, make sure you get your high hat going to if you listen closely in Fool In The Rain he has the high hat goin and also some double bass here and there

Re: John Bonham - Fool In The Rain (Snare Accents)

In the clinic section jeff pocaro talkks about his rosanna beat and he says that fool in the rain influenced his beat and he also talks about how to play it.

thats true, but this is the latin snare part he just talks about the main groove of Fool In the Rain, but this is the part after the whistle, you should hear my drum teacher play this, he doesnt quiet play it like how i do, but its good

yes there is a whole excellent thread devoted to the purdy groove half time shuffle section. this thread is about the middle latin section.

i think that there is a danger of becoming dependant on charts and reading. sometimes, as i'm sure was very often the case with bonzo, its got to come from the heart. i learnt the latin part of the song long before i could understnad the shuffle part. let john paul jones' piano part guide you. the sticking is not that importnat its the accent that are. and bonzo plays them so suprememly that you can hear them through all the other busy ness that is in the section. simply recreate what you are hearing.

j

John Bonham Style

I need some help in getting my single pedal technique going again, i've become lazy using double bass and havn't got the speed and technique in my right foot much anymore.. especially with fills, i cant seem to make a good, fast sounding fill without double bass.
Has anyone got any excersises or actually fills they use, like John Bonham, where he uses crazy right foot stuff and toms, or bass and snare paradiddles etc.

Andy.

Re: John Bonham Style

I owuld say just work on practicing with a single pedal again. Get strong powerful doubles with a foot so you can get rolls and rudiments between your hands and feet. I think it's important to keep single pedal skills up even if you have a double pedal, it just makes you that much better (plus more hi hat!) because even with a double pedal now, I only use it sparingly for fast rolls and such that I can't execute with one foot. Yet, haha

this case is a warning to all those guys wanting to start drumming with double pedals from the beginning!

alright a fast foot is always nice to show off, bonham does that alot...he loved triplets and playing past the bar...on his Moby Dick solo from Royal Albert Hall he does this lick alot...

HT|----l--r--l--r--||

FT|-----r--l--r--l-||

SD|-lr-------------||

BD|o--o--o--o--o--o||

i lead with my left hand so everything in this starts with Left but just start with right and so forth for those right handers out there...hope that helped

i would like to add here that john bonham is deemed amazing and alll thise and 'crazy right foot stuff' whatever
im not saying he's overrated but first of all there is a lot of crap talked about him - secondly, stuff like the famous john bonham triplet is really just a double, that uneducated people didnt understand properly - a triplet is not a group of 3notes but rather a group of 3notes (or 2notes but in the feel of 3 ie with one stroke missing) that are played in the time signature space of 2 beats.#
these 'triplet's of john bonham's are either 2notes most of the time with a stroke skipped but still 'swung' (that would be the 'triplet feel'), OR he hits eg one of his massive floor toms for one/two strokes and then makes one (or two) quick strokes on the Speedking pedal.
just stop deifying him

Sutor

John Bonham Style

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need some help in getting my single pedal technique going again, i've become lazy using double bass and havn't got the speed and technique in my right foot much anymore.. especially with fills, i cant seem to make a good, fast sounding fill without double bass.
Has anyone got any excersises or actually fills they use, like John Bonham, where he uses crazy right foot stuff and toms, or bass and snare paradiddles etc.

Andy.

Andy,
What I found to be helpful for me and may work for you also is this: I have a double pedal I use, however; I dont consider myself a double bass drum player, but I do practice utilizing both pedals. I practice open-hand technique and I try all reverse playing which includes only uses left pedal for single pedal grooves. That way, If I need to play a song requiring high speeds and double kick, I can but all the while I dont loose my single foot technique.

It takes time, hope it helps.

Hi im new to the drummerworld forum. I am going to be in a Led Zeppelin show in mid January and I'm on Immigrant Song. I have been practicing this song hour after hour and i think i've figured out my problem.

You know when your anxious about something and u just sit in a chair and bob your leg up and down really fast, kinda like you really have to go to the bathroom? Well I play the first measure to Immigrant song fine, but after that my leg starts to move too fast like that and it completly messes me up. Does anyone know what might be wrong or have any idea how i can fix this, i really don't want to give up this song and id like to get help w/ this ASAP thanks to any who help.

If anyone can REALLY help me out with this please make a post saying so, so that i can talk one on one. Thanks again

Last edited:

Well you may want to increase your spring tension just a tad. I have a similar problem with The Immigrant Song, I start playing it too fast. The trick with this song is stamina. It's hard, really hard, to keep it going for more than a minute or two, at least in my experience.

It may be that you're using the pedal's resonance too much, by tightening it a tiny bit you may help prevent this. Alternatively, play it toe-heel like JB would have done.

or

practice the song slowly. like 20 b/min slower with a metronome. in terms of structure this is a simpler zep song with nearly the same groove throughout. play the basic groove 20 b/min for five minutes. stop have a short break. then increase the speed 10 b/min and play it for about three minutes. break and then play the song at the groove tempo.

are you bringing your left hand up for the extra hihat accent? or are you trying to do a double with the right? i bring my left up as i find this swings my body around and helps feel the groove - also the hihat offers no rebound (splashy sound for the song so no bounce) and therefore its much too hard to try play the figure with the right hand alone.

my current everest is the cover as close as possible without effects or overdubs: Bonzo's montreaux. i'm taking it a section at a time. i listen to the section 10 times with my eyes shut, then i start slowly breaking it apart and emulating it on my kit at much slower tempos. even that fill at the start of the song is awesomely hard. i used to think it was just single strokes from snare and then down the toms. but bonzo was in showoff mode that day i'm telling you! listen to it now if you have it. 3 strokes on the snare, then he reverses sticking over two toms and ends in a parraddidle structure. but all the time the bass drum is pumping the sixteenths beneath this...as far as i can tell it goes like this:

T1|....L.L.........
T2|...R.R.RLRLL.L..
T3|............R.RR
SN|RLR.............
BD|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Or near enough.
then the first groove which must [MUST] have those ghost notes. this part isn't so hard. then the first stop.
then next the part which nearly kills me. extraordinary bass drum work. not only is it a continuous stream undeneath some lovely time signature snare and cymbal work but the dynamics are brilliant. his bass drum volume looms around the groove. this is where i am in the solo now.
when i can do the whole thing i'm going to do it at gigs whenever a guitar string breaks.

j

ps: does anyone have any TAB for this monster?

This months DRUM! has intro tabs for Rock and roll, and the crunge.

Back