Thick single ply heads?

No one has mentioned the EC1 but I just picked up some of these for half price, I think the guy said they'd been discontinued? They're a 14 mil single ply but with that silver control ring.

Got a mish mash of heads because I got them from the bargain bin so that's a bit of a mess but they're all thick single plys.

Not that anyone's going to care but I got
an 8" g14
10 and 12" g plus'
14 and 16 ec1's

I actually went ahead and picked up clear G14s for my 12" and 14" toms (clear ambassador on resonant side) the other day- they are quite something! I didn't notice a drastic change in sustain from the coated 2-plies (super-2s and white suede emperors) I used to use, which I attribute to the shells and die-cast hoops, but the G14s have a lot more body and WAY more low-end. They tune quite nicely. One thing I noticed is that it was hard to get a good sound with my resonant head higher than the batter like I usually do- with these, I tuned both heads to the same pitch and it seems to work better than what I used to do. They react a bit slower than what I'm used to, but they are really good. For my stave kit, I will get a G1, G12, and G14 for the batters and Genera Resos and a G12 for the resonant heads. I will definitely talk about that when it comes, but for now- the G14s are my favorite.

Only complaint is that, these being the first clear or single ply tom batters I've used, I'm suddenly missing the fun of using brushes on toms :(

Cool. Also wanted to add that I tried a g14 on my black beauty and I took it straight off, too much ring, loss in sensitivity.. Back to a g1/Amb for me.

I don't care for the thicker single ply heads. It feels like hitting concrete or steel. Way too stiff. It may be because I prefer my drums tuned into the higher ranges but they just don;t work for me

I don't care for the thicker single ply heads. It feels like hitting concrete or steel. Way too stiff. It may be because I prefer my drums tuned into the higher ranges but they just don;t work for me

Same here. When I first experimented with thicker single ply heads, I was like finally, someone thought to do this. They should sustain longer and sound deeper. There would be minimal losses compared with a 2 ply head. Which is all true. But straight away, bottom line, I didn't like the particular set of frequencies they made. To my ear hey were a very middy low end that kind of dominated. I liked them better as a reso, but even after a while, I grew tired of the mid low flavor it added even as a reso, and went back to a 10 mil head. I felt I got a more balanced set of frequencies overall from the 10 mil head. I would like to hear a 9 or a 9.5 mil head next, and go in that direction. 7 mil heads I know are way too thin for me. Next they need to experiment with a graduated single ply head. Thicker in the middle and gradually getting thinner towards the edges. Or the reverse. That would be interesting.

Back